5w-40 diesel oil in a gasser?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in reading the overseas manual for my 4Runner, I see that up to 15w-40 is specified (albeit with a lower temperature limit). I am considering running a 5w-40 with HTHS 4.1. I know there will be a slight hit on mpg, and right now this is a rhetorical question since I'm not due for fresh oil until September.

Wanted to pick the collective brains here for opinions, fact and speculation, so thanks in advance--

Now, I can't speak for what's going on with your warranty, or how picky Toyota can be, or how picky you are. Outside of warranty concerns, any 5w-40 HDEO that is either CK-4/SN or CJ-4/SM or lacks the S spec and is E7, E9 will work fine. If you're concerned about phosphorus, find something with an E6 in it. That would probably be a 5w-30 HDEO, which will have an HTHS closer to 3.5. As you may be aware, I ran Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 in my G37 for an extended period of time (the spec was for a 5w-30 in SM or newer with ILSAC optional) and am still running an HDEO.

I would gather you're considering one of the Amsoil options, and I would have no reservations about that over and above any other HDEO.

Pep Boys clearanced out some Chevron Delo 5W-40 Synthetic HDEO, and I think I got 6-7 gallon jugs.

It works great in everything in pour it into. I ran it for 17,000 miles last year in my 4.6 liter Ford with a Fram Tough Guard

Originally Posted by JLTD
So in reading the overseas manual for my 4Runner, I see that up to 15w-40 is specified (albeit with a lower temperature limit). I am considering running a 5w-40 with HTHS 4.1. I know there will be a slight hit on mpg, and right now this is a rhetorical question since I'm not due for fresh oil until September.

Wanted to pick the collective brains here for opinions, fact and speculation, so thanks in advance--

Is it SN rated?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Linctex
Pep Boys clearanced out some Chevron Delo 5W-40 Synthetic HDEO, and I think I got 6-7 gallon jugs.

It works great in everything in pour it into. I ran it for 17,000 miles last year in my 4.6 liter Ford with a Fram Tough Guard

17000 miles with no change or 17000 miles over multiple changes?

I would believe the 17000 miles with no change, though. 4.6s are easy on oil.

Get Castrol 0W40 in Wal Mart. It is much better choice. If that oil can run in BMW M3, it can run in 4Runner.
You do not want to go too thick. Castrol 0W40 has HTHS of 3.7, and will cool better. Also that engine in 4Runner is not example of power. Thicker oil will ake it bit more sluggish. Mobil1 0W40 FS is another good choice with HTHS of 3.6.
Probably best oil for Euro engines, that are under much more strain than that engine in 4Runner is Castro 0W30. On Amazon currently is $46 for 6qt pack (I jsut ordered yesterday for Tiguan). HTHS of 3.58 and PAO base up to 75%.

Originally Posted by Miller88

17000 miles with no change or 17000 miles over multiple changes?
I would believe the 17000 miles with no change, though. 4.6s are easy on oil.

It was all warm weather highway miles.

Originally Posted by rideahorse
08 Ford Edge with the 3.5. Its had 15w-40 HDEO in it since new. 226,000 miles. Runs like new. This is in Iowa.

Even in the winter?

Thanks for all the responses so far; now to answer questions:

Originally Posted by Garak
Now, I can't speak for what's going on with your warranty, or how picky Toyota can be, or how picky you are. Outside of warranty concerns, any 5w-40 HDEO that is either CK-4/SN or CJ-4/SM or lacks the S spec and is E7, E9 will work fine. If you're concerned about phosphorus, find something with an E6 in it. That would probably be a 5w-30 HDEO, which will have an HTHS closer to 3.5. As you may be aware, I ran Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 in my G37 for an extended period of time (the spec was for a 5w-30 in SM or newer with ILSAC optional) and am still running an HDEO.

I would gather you're considering one of the Amsoil options, and I would have no reservations about that over and above any other HDEO.

Not concerned about warranty [list of reasons here]; I agree that Amsoil's offerings are very good, but between my change in driving habits from more than 20,000 miles per year to 12,000 - 15,000 miles/year and their price increases, they've priced themselves past where I'm seeing the value in the SS...and I can get Schaeffer 9000 for less than the XL so that's the 5w-40 I'm considering. I made a mistake earlier, actual HTHS is 4.05.

I'm curious also, if this was one long OCI or if there was a change in there...and how much make up oil was added?

Originally Posted by Donald

Is it SN rated?

Not specifically since it's a diesel oil, but it exceeds CK-4, which to my understanding matches SN.

Originally Posted by tig1
What benefit are you looking for?

As stated, right now it's a rhetorical question; but to give an answer, I'd like to maximize engine life. I'll likely end up running 5w-30 or maybe even a -20, but am interested in testing the waters and running each oil to see how they do.

08 Ford Edge with the 3.5. Its had 15w-40 HDEO in it since new. 226,000 miles. Runs like new. This is in Iowa.

Me, too...winter? Is it garaged or have a pan heater, or just started right up when it's cold?

Last edited:

Even in the winter?

A 15w winter rated oil is functional down to about 0*F ... not ideal maybe, but functional.

Not sure this is contested, but I've cranked my 1.6L Rio down to ~25 Fahrenheit with Delvac 1300 15w40. It turned over a little slower, but no issues.

Its been on that diet for 20k; Its at 66k, and do ~100 hour (4200mi) OCI.

Back in the day I ran a '02 Celica GT (1ZZ-FE) on Delvac 1 5W40 from ~120k to ~152k miles to attempt to cleanup some varnish from a number of very much overextended oil changes. My ex kept every single receipt on that car, after sorting and reviewing the oil changes happened at various points every 7k - 14k miles between changes, majority of them were 9-12k between Toyota dealer visits for whatever bulk 5W-30 that dealer used.

Moved it to 5k changes and took over the maintenance, the heavy varnish started flaking off the dipstick during the 2nd oil change and by the time the car was traded 6 oil changes later there was no varnish left on the dipstick. Surprisingly the car never burned any noticeable amounts of oil and got incredible fuel economy even when I first took over maintenance after it had been neglected. The only bad about the 5W-40 is it did make the engine a little bit more sluggish to rev at lower RPM's.

The newer diesel oils don't have quite the crazy detergent package they had back in '04-'05 when I did that little exercise so don't think it is quite the benefit it may have been back when their TBN's were in the 13-14 range.

The engine in my 2007 Ford Fusion 2.3 has right at 241K with 10K OCIs and it still runs like new. Oil used. M1 0-20 year round.

Not concerned about warranty [list of reasons here]; I agree that Amsoil's offerings are very good, but between my change in driving habits from more than 20,000 miles per year to 12,000 - 15,000 miles/year and their price increases, they've priced themselves past where I'm seeing the value in the SS...and I can get Schaeffer 9000 for less than the XL so that's the 5w-40 I'm considering. I made a mistake earlier, actual HTHS is 4.05.

That should be fine. I would not worry about having or lacking the SM or SN for an ordinary HDEO. Unless it's for two-stroke diesel only or a dedicated marine lube, there's really no concern. As I've said before with reference to T6 5w-40. If that E7, E9 lubricant was good enough for gasoline engines last October with CJ-4, what change could it have possibly undergone that would make it immediately unsuitable for gasoline engines with CK-4 yet still remain current E7, E9?

Try that Rotella gas truck if you want a heavy duty oil something similar to the 5W-40 but designed for PCMO engines and still very robust like a HDEO. I plan to use it in my Tacoma next change! Seems like a real robust oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back