Identify material of "fiber" washer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought four of these washers from a local NAPA (https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NDP7041081) that is the correct web page & part number. First time I went there, I got what were obviously fiber washers. Last time I bought these (asking for the same part number), the guy handed the four that are in the pic.

I called the store today, and had the guy look up the washers with the part number, and he stated that they were fiber in the description, but he agreed with me that they looked like hard black rubber. The first ones I bought (IIRC) were a bit more brown.

I want to use these as drain plug gaskets for ATF drains for my vehicles. The size is correct (18 mm ID). And I don't suppose that NAPA would sell washers that were not suited for the application, but I'm wondering. I would rather return these, and go with aluminum (OEM recommendation) if there was even a chance that these would not hold up for the next 30K, which is when I would be doing the atf drain after this. From here on out, I will probably just buy the aluminum, but for a while I was thinking that fiber was what I wanted to be using for applications like this.

But for now, my question is simply what to do with these--are these ok for my purpose or not? If it were keeping my windshield wiper fluid I'd just use them, but for atf I really want to use the right product.

IMG_1907.JPG

The nearest trash can is where I would put them.

Toyota elastomer coated aluminum crush washers last several uses if you lower the torque to @ 15 ft lbs.

Not really. Holding it between my thumb, index, & middle finger of one hand, I can't bend it. If I hold it with two hands, then I can get a very small bend to it.

Originally Posted by Trav
Are they flexible?

Originally Posted by clinebarger

Toyota elastomer coated aluminum crush washers last several uses if you lower the torque to @ 15 ft lbs.

+1 This

Tossing them is always an option. I get that they might not be as good as Toyota's elastomer coated aluminum washers.....
But why? You think they wouldn't make it to 30K? Or that they'd be less likely to?

Originally Posted by user52165

+1 This

OK so that explains why they feel different than the actual fiber ones that I got before.

How would these hold up to my application--30K as a drain plug gasket?

Originally Posted by das_peikko
They're usually paper impregnated with rubber. I'm sorry to use the word "impregnated." I supposed I could've said "integrated."
grin.gif

Originally Posted by paulri
Tossing them is always an option. I get that they might not be as good as Toyota's elastomer coated aluminum washers.....
But why? You think they wouldn't make it to 30K? Or that they'd be less likely to?

Originally Posted by user52165

+1 This

I don't really know for sure they would be an issue. Didn't even know Toyota dealers charged for crush washers 'til I red it on this site. My local dealer (Freeman Toyota) gives them out for free upon request.

I too use 18mm drain plug gaskets. Aluminum is the material used. That is what I use.

The Saabs used copper. After lotsa talk and T&E most people stuck with copper.

The whole "drain plug washer thing" is neglected by auto parts stores. It seems their wee brains aren't qualified to buy hardware.

Include these gaskets when online ordering from a parts place. Otherwise GOOD LUCK finding what you want.

The absolute cake taker are the sky blue, hard plastic (nylon?) ones included with some replacement drain plugs.
They simply crack when you tighten the drain plug.

I would use them as long as an employee at NAPA did not thrown the wrong parts into the box.
Your photo does look like the image on 'link'.

As other have said, There probably not rubber / but just rubber coating over the fiber.
Perhaps an improvement over the last time you bought them.
Isn't that what people expect in any product ?

The hose on my PVC cracked and I bought a replacement.
The OEM replacement was designed alot different and was ALOT better.

I found aluminum washers for my '10 Vibe at NAPA, #ATM PB2403. These are thick washers like the ones from Toyota.

Looks like I'll go ahead and use them, although I think I'll move back to aluminum for these atf drain plugs after this.

Thanks everyone for pitching in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back