Why Do Some Folks Dislike Fram Oil Filters?

Originally Posted by Garak
I know a lot of people dislike the "cardboard" end caps. That really doesn't bother me. My dislike of the orange can is pretty basic, and not solely Fram's fault, but the fault of Canadian retailers. I can get better construction features on other name brand filters for cheaper. The orange can isn't exactly available at a big discount up here. I can get Baldwin on regular price cheaper than an on sale Fram orange can. Also, the link posted above is illustrative of the "general mood," let's say, over the years.

The price of a ULTRA and tough guard and extra guard has made me start using the Super Tech filters more.

I can get and did get a few WIX made Auto Extra for my Camry at $2~ each

The purolator gasket is too small in my opinion. I get leaks many times using them. Fram filters have better o ring gaskets and I dont get that problem with them.

I do okay with Wix, but it's application dependent. The G37 Wix price is reasonable. The F-150 Wix price is outstanding and probably won't be beat anywhere in town. An Ultra on sale isn't terribly out of line in comparison to the Wix, well, depending upon one's definition. It's probably 50% more, but that's not atrocious given the difference in tiers. If I compare the F-150 Wix to the Ultra, we're looking at the Ultra being three times the price, and that's not realistic.

The Tough Guard would get a lot more attention from me if it were favourably priced in comparison to the Wix. NAPA Canada has something silly going on, in that at least the last time I checked the Platinum for the G37 was cheaper than the Gold, on regular price. At my supplier, the XP is way too high, and the Fram Ultra is a pretty big bargain in comparison, even at regular price, let alone CT's periodic sales.

So, that's basically what annoys me. If the Ultra can pound the competition on price by a significant margin, why is the orange can always so expensive in comparison to its competition?

I'd run an orange can of delight on anything, cardboard end caps and all.

The switch to a silicone ADBV made them the best value filter IMO.

Fram makes awesome filters, normies are stupid.

Last edited:
The only thing I don't like about them are the thin flimsy cans and the sloppy construction. The Ultra would probably be the perfect filter if they'd only thicken up the cans.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
The only thing I don't like about them are the thin flimsy cans and the sloppy construction. The Ultra would probably be the perfect filter if they'd only thicken up the cans.

Even though the cans are thin, I believe their burst strength is pretty good, and when was the last time you heard about an oil filter bursting?

Same reason I hate Kia and Hyundai. Get burned or know someone that did and tend to avoid them. I know they are not the same cheap vehicles of the early 2000's but i used to rent alot of cars and nearly every Kia or Hyundai I rented had some issues with less than 10,000 miles on them. Worse one I recall was a 2004 Kia Amanti with 6,000 miles on it. Car rode great, handled so-so, underpowered with rather poor fuel economy comparable to my V8 grand Marquis with much less power and weight. Developed a click in steering wheel and I was driving it the winding mountain of West Virginia. Made for a painful 8 hr drive and I told the rental company about it they told me they all do that. I started asking for anything but a KIA or Hyundai after so many bad rentals and still really do not want to give them a chance. Also I don't really see the value as they are not that much less than a comparable Honda or Toyota I know there are other here that will love them but I find most people will love what they but and not admit it was a mistake. I really don't like the older taurus / sables but have owned 4 because they are fairly dependable and incredibly inexpensive as a used car due to their rental car stigma. Just picked up an 03 Sable with 72,000 miles for $1,200 with a few minor issues. No car payment and will take a long time for a smaller more fuel efficient car to pay for the additional prices they want.

Originally Posted by Patman
when was the last time you heard about an oil filter bursting?

I never have,but seeing most oil filters are completely exposed to anything killed up from the road,I'd like them to be thick and durable. Their center tubes are thin and sloppy too. I'd like to see the Ultra go to a thicker can and heavier duty,more precision made center tube.

What filter doesn't have some sort of reputation: fram-cheaply made entry level filters, wix xp- poor efficiency going to destroy your engine, Purolator- media is going to tear, STP- Chinese junk now, Mobil 1-media glued like a third grader, Bo'sch distance plus- a Purolator boss sans the synthetic media but more $....I could go on lol

I keep seeing, "There are better filters for less money". Ok, who? I want to try one on my Silverado next oil change. Who makes a sub $4 filter with a silicone ADBV and has 95% efficiency @ 20 microns. Personally, I don't subscribe to the "metal end cap is better, no matter what the efficiency is" drivel.

Originally Posted by chainblu
I keep seeing, "There are better filters for less money". Ok, who? I want to try one on my Silverado next oil change. Who makes a sub $4 filter with a silicone ADBV and has 95% efficiency @ 20 microns. Personally, I don't subscribe to the "metal end cap is better, no matter what the efficiency is" drivel.

thumbsup2.gif

Even though the cans are thin, I believe their burst strength is pretty good, and when was the last time you heard about an oil filter bursting?

Of all the time I've been here, I don't recall any filter regardless of brand having a can blow-out from oil pressure. A few "double base gasket" incidents, but that's a different problem (installer error).

Originally Posted by stanlee
What filter doesn't have some sort of reputation: fram-cheaply made entry level filters, wix xp- poor efficiency going to destroy your engine, Purolator- media is going to tear, STP- Chinese junk now, Mobil 1-media glued like a third grader, Bo'sch distance plus- a Purolator boss sans the synthetic media but more $....I could go on lol

You forgot K&N, and all those other Purolator built filters, which there are many ...
grin2.gif

Totally agree I'd just add that a thread end bypass on the ultra as well [censored] a thicker can would make it great.

... most oil filters are completely exposed to anything killed up from the road,I'd like them to be thick and durable. Their center tubes are thin and sloppy too. ...
If your filter is "exposed to anything killed up," that's not Fram's fault. I've never had any filter suffer the slightest dent while on an engine. A thicker shell or "heavier duty" center tube would be pure waste, adding cost with zero benefit.

Originally Posted by chainblu
I keep seeing, "There are better filters for less money". Ok, who?

Of course, that can be location dependent. Here's my comparison, quoting regular prices from Canadian Tire to keep comparisons fair:

$8.29 - Fram orange can
$6.49 - Canadian Tire "Certified" label
$6.99 - Canadian Tire MotoMaster house brand
$9.99 - Canadian Tire MotoMaster OE Plus
$9.29 - Quaker State

The orange can is priced only middling even on Canadian Tire shelves. I didn't bother listing the Fram Ultra, Mobil 1, or K&N Gold, since they're not really in competition here; they run from $15.49 to $18.99. If I compare to other brands, which I have to obtain at other retailers, I'm talking around $8 for the Wix (four Wix part numbers will fit my G37, and some are a little above that price and some are a little below that). I can get a Hastings for $7.99 and the Baldwin version for under $5.

If it were a Tough Guard for $8.29 every day of the week, then we have something.

Originally Posted by s1mp13m4n
Hello everyone. I am trying to learn and understand, that is the point of my thread. Why do some dislike Fram so much?

Ask the haters (outside of BobTheOilGuy) why they hate Fram. Then come back to this thread and tell us what they said.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
All based on past history of them having cheap cardboard caps, poor, or lack of filter material, collapsing, etc. There has been many issues with them over the years. I use the Fram Ultras and love them as do most on here, its just the OCOD (orange cans of death) that are disliked.

This would be my answer too.
I think that the FU is one of the BEST oil filters made.
I have heard horror stories about the OCOD, even though I still have yet to see any proof of it. To me, it's more of a mental thing as to why I won't use them. I used to despise that filter, but all in all, it's a well made filter. Esp. since FRAM started using a silicone ADBV.
I don't know, maybe one day I will try one.

when was the last time you heard about an oil filter bursting?

I never have,but seeing most oil filters are completely exposed to anything killed up from the road,I'd like them to be thick and durable. Their center tubes are thin and sloppy too. I'd like to see the Ultra go to a thicker can and heavier duty,more precision made center tube.

I've never seen a "completely exposed" filter. Every car I've owned either had it tucked up in a space far from the road or, that same process PLUS have a thick, rigid plastic under tray.

Back