2001 Dodge Ram 2500, Rotella T6, 34k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, cross your fingers and hold your breath. Here goes...

Rotella T6 supplemented with Redline oil additive.

From Polaris:
Truck Odometer: 536374 mi
Miles on oil: 34000
11 quarts of makeup oil added.
Fleetguard LF16035 filter.

Polaris Comments:
Flagged data does not indicate an immediate need for maintenance action. Continue to observe the trend and monitor
equipment and fluid conditions. Chrome is at a MINOR LEVEL and is possibly coming from piston ring plating.

Iron is low. Other wear metals are really boring, TBN is still strong, negligible soot loading, no water, no fuel dilution.
Engine still dripping or consuming about a quart per 3000 miles.
Really pleased with the low soot and fuel dilution because the engine had a lot of idle time on cold overnight stays.
Added another parameter to the spreadsheet to show uncorrected Iron wear rate.

Dodge-UOA.PNG

I am not sure of how to make sense of your UOA with 11 QTs added. If I remember from my 1999 Dodge Ram diesel, 11 QTs is a whole oil pan full.

Is the "Iron - corrected" number taking into account the 11 QTs added of makeup oil?

Are you leaking or burning oil?

The op should cut open that oil filter so we can see whats in it.

Do most guys run a diesel oil interval for that long? I don't think I could sleep at night. Plus all the be idling hours on that motor.

Originally Posted by Donald

Are you leaking or burning oil?

He says he adds a quart every 3,000 miles

Not to hard to believe on an engine with 536374 miles on it

This is a perfect example of how an engine that consumes a small, regular amount probably never needs it's oil changed ever again.

I would add a bypass filter to this engine and just keep adding (topping) as needed, changing out the filter only every 20,000 miles ... and never change the oil ever again

Originally Posted by claluja
Looking good. That redline additive really makes a difference, in a good way.

How did you come to that conclusion? Rotella T6 is a great oil to start with, Not sure it needs any additives.

How did you come to that conclusion? Rotella T6 is a great oil to start with, Not sure it needs any additives.

Study the data. Look at what happened to Phosphorous and Zinc content of RT6 after the CK4 changeover in March, 2017. Look at what happened to the Iron wear rate after I started boosting the ZDDP in February, 2018.

Originally Posted by A_Harman

Study the data. Look at what happened to Phosphorous and Zinc content of RT6 after the CK4 changeover in March, 2017. Look at what happened to the Iron wear rate after I started boosting the ZDDP in February, 2018.

Hmm I thought ck4 was supposed to be better on wear... Is this not the case? Is the redline additive you're using safe for dpf scr systems?

Originally Posted by oakaro68
Originally Posted by A_Harman

Hmm I thought ck4 was supposed to be better on wear... Is this not the case? Is the redline additive you're using safe for dpf scr systems?

That's a question for Redline. The reason zddp is being limited in oil is to reduce Phosphorous, which poisons the catalytic coating on a catalytic converter. A DPF doesn't have a catalytic coating, it just traps carbon particulates in pores of the ceramic monolith so there is no coating to poison. I don't know about SCR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back