Rust on Rockauto oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought an oil filter from Rockauto for my VW. Filter was a Citco label, but is an e-core filter, invoice said made in Bulgaria. Metal base plate had surface rust on it, and it did not come in a box or cellophane wrap.

Not an expensive filter, but would you use it, or ask for a return? I dont think Rockauto has a phone number, so I am guessing its not worth the effort to contact them.

prolly ok but the filter media may be quite oil as well. why a cheap filter for your 1.8T i assume

Last edited:
Originally Posted by benjy
prolly ok but the filter media may be quite oil as well. why a cheap filter for your 1.8T i assume

Been using high end filters all along, not sure there is a benefit from them. Bought this on a bit of impulse, filled out my order.

In the reply, click on the icon of the red picture with the blue-roofed house at the top right; while hovering over it, the label is "Upload inline image(s)"

Choose file

Add file from your PC

All done

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Bluestream
[Linked Image]

That looks like it sat in a damp warehouse for a decade.

Anyone know how to read the date code? Says made in USA on the cap end. Not sure why invoice says Bulgaria.

091004EN3 06:05

That is a pre-cover ecore. Don't use it...not worth it. It was produced in 2004. That rust means too much moisture and the media integrity would absolutely be in question given the age and potential moisture issue.

If you request a return they probably will give you the option of a partial refund and you keep the filter (saves you the shipping cost which may cost more than what you paid for the filter).

If that's the case then cut open the filter and post the pics here.

Try to return it but no matter what do not use it. To say it would be penny wise and pound foolish to run that filter is an understatement.

Any rust down inside the center tube? I see plenty of rust on the threads.

I'd ask for a replacement (without rust) or a refund. If not, cut it open and look inside. I wouldn't use it if you care about your engine. RockAuto needs to look at products before sending them out and toss crap like this.

For low priced items, they will refund you your money and tell you to throw the filter away. Agree with several folks, not to use that filter.

They should have doused the base plate in cosmoline before storing it the last 60 years. Lol.

Clearance filters from RA are like a box of chocolates.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Any rust down inside the center tube? I see plenty of rust on the threads.

I'd ask for a replacement (without rust) or a refund. If not, cut it open and look inside. I wouldn't use it if you care about your engine. RockAuto needs to look at products before sending them out and toss crap like this.

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back