Best oil for 2018 Forester XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to get some opinions on my next oil change for my 2018 Forester XT.
Which oil is the best to use? Motul, Liqui Moly or Castrol? I'm open to any suggestions except Mobil 1.

___________________________________________________________________________________

2018 Subaru Forester XT
2009 Mitsubishi Lancer DE
1996 Mitsubishi Lancer GLi

Mobil 1 0w-40
grin.gif

I would use Castrol 0W40 A3/B4 and change at 5K with the OEM Subaru filter.

Motul is probably the best on your list, but not sure it is worth twice the price of the Castrol for a non-competition vehicle.

Last edited:
xxw20 oils will give a very little more mpgs, xw30 oils will make it last over a 100 thou unless your CVT craps out!

I do not think the Subaru 2.5L engine is very demanding but it does spec 0W20 synthetic oil. I use NAPA 0W20 synthetic in both Subaru vehicles.

I guess it could have a different spec in Canada, but I doubt it.

In the USA, NAPA synthetic oil is routinely on sale for less than $20 for 5QT jug.

The EJ25 is not hard on oil. Unfortunately that is not what the OP has. His Forester XT has an FA20 turbo like the WRX.

His spec oil is 5W30 synthetic, not 0W20 like the NA motors.

That said, my WRX is a track car and my daily, and has not been too hard on the oil thus far.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Any major brand of oil that meets the specs for your Forester will run just fine.

Very true you don't need to run the Dr. XXX's snake oil that is $40 to $60 a Jug.

Last edited:
Just sold my FA20DIT WRX, but I used Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30. OEM spec is 5W-30, but I felt that 10W-30 would hold up better to the unique conditions of that engine.

NOACK of that oil has been reported at 4.7% - one of the best of ANY oil, regardless of price. And it's available at Walmart cheap.

I have a 2015 Forester XT with the same engine as you.

I've had Mobil Super 3000, Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State Ultimate Durability (all in 5w30) and they all did an ok job, but also thinned down to a 20 grade, probably due to permanent shear and fuel dilution. You can see my lates UOA here: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...e-2015-forester-xt-qsud-d1g2#Post5053375

Currently I am trying Rotella Multi Vehicle 5w30 as it is a thick 30 weight and I hope it will not shear as much as a GF5 oil.

Last edited:
My '14 FXT was recalled for LSPI...even before that I was aware of the issue and poking around on websites (including this one) to try to find oils that would make that destructive event less likely (mostly M1 at the time). I know that Subaru has adjusted the engine control software in an attempt to minimize LSPI, but I am still concerned about the issue.

Luckily, the motor oil industry has responded to this challenge and we can just look for oils that meet the SN+, dexos1 Gen 2, or Ford -B1 standards that have actually been tested for LSPI mitigation.
If you like Castrol, you can certainly find 5W30s in their line that are SN+/d1G2. I don't know about Motul or LiquiMoly, Ravenol has at least one d1G2 5W30 (DXG) but it is quite pricey in the US.
I decided to try something with a higher HTHS for this summer and just put in SN+ M1 10W30 HM, which is 3.5 compared to 3.1 for M1 5W30 and also has 7.6% Noack loss per a poster here who contacted XOM...but, you say you don't like M1.

Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic has a high HTHS for a GF5/SN+ oil (3.2) and also a pretty low Noack loss of something like 9%, plus it has also met the d1G2 standard for some time.

Enjoy your '18, looks like that is the last year for the FXT for a while. Subaru is bringing out an Outback XT with the 2.4l DIT from the Ascent for '20, maybe the FXT will be back before too long!

BTW, for some of the other posters, the '14-'18 FXT has the FA20DIT engine.

Originally Posted by benjy
xxw20 oils will give a very little more mpgs, xw30 oils will make it last over a 100 thou unless your CVT craps out!

At least he has the improved (added filter) version of the high torque Lineartronic CVT.
I have the original design and it is not possible to modify it to add the new filter.
I had a major CVT repair at 80kmiles that was covered under warranty, but I also am 99% sure that the same dealer that did the repair put the wrong CVT fluid in at 60kmiles....could have had something to do with the need for a repair.

welcome2.gif

Brand doesn't matter. Even with Mobil 1.

As jbutch points out, most GF5 5W30's will have an operational viscosity in the low 30 grade or 20 grade range due to shearing and/or fuel dilution. Stock FXT's and WRX's still show low uoa wear despite the oil looking appearing to be trashed.

Many people run ACEA C3 oils for their high kinematic viscosity and high HTHS. While they're not Resource Conserving/GF5 oils, they stay in grade better and that helps people sleep at night. There are actually some dealers that sell ACEA C3 oils as their premium offering so I really can't see this being an issue in the event of a Powertrain Warranty claim, IMO.

P.S. What oil should I use. There is no "best oil".

Originally Posted by slomo
Why not run the best you can? Walmart Supertech 5w-30 conventional.

Slomo I'm thinking you have Walmart stock , Supertech is your answer to everything .

Of all the oils I have UOAs on. M1 EP was the only one to stay in 30 weight after a 5500 mile OCI.

Going to test QSUD next.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back