Summer gas prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Kawiguy454
Playing devils advocate ...Why shouldn't the rich people with performance engines and high octane requirements subsidize those less fortunate. Just another gift from the social justice crowd IMO. Maybe someone that formulates fuels can tell me I'm wrong and that the differential is due to the real world cost?

Why invoke the social justice crowd when the basics of whatever the market will bear is always appropriate?

Originally Posted by Audios
Surprisingly by me, they gouge heavily for plus. Im just shooting from memory, but one Exxon in Lyndhurst was 2.79, 3.39 and 3.49 for super today diesel was 3.59. US Gas near my house is 2.63, 3.01 and 3.11, diesel 2.99. I also paid 2.69 for diesel at US gas about 3 weeks ago, so its been steadily increasing lately.

You should just add a little super to regular to get an 89 mix. Here super is 93 so a 1/3 mix of super plus 2/3's of regular gets you 89.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
You should just add a little super to regular to get an 89 mix. Here super is 93 so a 1/3 mix of super plus 2/3's of regular gets you 89.

Too bad that theory doesn't work on vehicles designed to run on prem.

Originally Posted by cb450sc
Will this increase put a dent in the demand for SUV's and pull people back to sedans?

Highly unlikely.
This will just keep increasing the debt load of everyone on a global scale.
Small cars are not the answer, neither are electric cars.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
…...cause it sounds like gas is going up.....
At several stations yesterday, biggest one day jump I remember in some time. Morning price regular $2.49, evening price $2.85. Keeps going at that rate, summer driving will be very painful to the wallet.

Will this increase put a dent in the demand for SUV's and pull people back to sedans?

Already has for me. Traded the 2011 Durango for the 2016 300. 14mpg average to 23.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by Wolf359

Too bad that theory doesn't work on vehicles designed to run on prem.

It would only work if you have 93. Most cars that require premium only ask for 91. So the mix would be 2/3 super to 1/3 regular.

A no name gas station i pass going to and from work, went from 2.79 in the morning to 2.95 when i came home that night.maybe 2 months ago was around 2.30.Is what it is

Just saw on my Facebook gas was $2.69 a gallon in 2015 on this date, today it was $3.09. I expected a way bigger difference too be honest

Last edited:

Highly unlikely.

How do you explain 2008-2012?

The car loan industry has been having high default rates and talk has been of a large implosion.

Fuel prices beyond $4 a gallon across the country push a lot of folks over on payments.

If that industry "belt tightens" or fails the ability to finance a car without a high equity house goes down the schmidter.

Generally the only inexpensive rides are very old and inefficient or sedans which means history repeats.

The oil leaders have been warning of $8+ a gallon gas being under 5 years out if we don't pull in demand

I think the writing is on the wall just a matter of when.

Originally Posted by Dinoburner
Hate to say it but taxers will hit the electrons hard in a few years.

They already have

Michigan is looking to raise fees $400 soon and not on just pure plug ins either .

Feds are also eying an annual federal fixed rate fuel fee

I thought we weren't supposed to complain about high gas prices? I'm sure the big oil cheerleaders will jump in soon to scold all of us...

Originally Posted by Rmay635703

Highly unlikely.

How do you explain 2008-2012?

The car loan industry has been having high default rates and talk has been of a large implosion.

Fuel prices beyond $4 a gallon across the country push a lot of folks over on payments.

If that industry "belt tightens" or fails the ability to finance a car without a high equity house goes down the schmidter.

Generally the only inexpensive rides are very old and inefficient or sedans which means history repeats.

The oil leaders have been warning of $8+ a gallon gas being under 5 years out if we don't pull in demand

I think the writing is on the wall just a matter of when.

Our economy can't support $8 gas. I doubt it can even support $4 gas for any extended period of time. And before someone brings up that other countries pay much more than we do, it isn't a valid comparison...those countries pay much more in taxes that pay for social programs...

Originally Posted by Kawiguy454
Playing devils advocate ...Why shouldn't the rich people with performance engines and high octane requirements subsidize those less fortunate. Just another gift from the social justice crowd IMO ....

My Xj12 got nailed for both a gas guzzler tax AND a "luxury" tax. My '04 GTO had a gas guzzler tax on it, as well. I don't recall if the Xj8 was a gas guzzler,

Seems like these are soak the rich type of things, to appease the social justice crowd.

Originally Posted by grampi
And before someone brings up that other countries pay much more than we do, it isn't a valid comparison...those countries pay much more in taxes that pay for social programs...
Don't forget that the U.S. military costs far, far more than social programs elsewhere.

Originally Posted by Uphill_Both_Ways
Originally Posted by grampi
And before someone brings up that other countries pay much more than we do, it isn't a valid comparison...those countries pay much more in taxes that pay for social programs...
Don't forget that the U.S. military costs far, far more than social programs elsewhere.

What does that have to do with our gas prices?

I'm not knocking the U.S. military. I'm saying it's more expensive than social programs such as medical care, and taxes go to help pay for it. The U.S., though, has a large population to pay for it. But it's a big tax hit in any case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back