Nissan Cooling Fan Replacement - $866.00

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
The driver's side cooling fan on our 2015 PathFinder had a bearing fail and was knocking against the shroud making a terrific noise..

Neither the local parts store had one nor could my mechanic get to it for a week.

This is the Stealership price with Labor.
18.gif

I only wish Trav was closer.
thumbsup2.gif

Ouch!

Last edited:
Is it $800 labor and $66 part?

I'd just zip tie a generic fan in there and tap into the existing wire instead.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PandaBear
I'd just zip tie a generic fan in there and tap into the existing wire instead.

I'd do something like that too. Maybe a fan for a Chevy or a Toyota. Used if necessary. Just on principle!

The electric fan on my Volvo 740 Turbo cratered too. I took it apart, cleaned it out really well, lubricated it and put it back together again and it was still going when I sold it - several years later.

How many miles on her?

I see full assemblies on eBay for under $200: fans
My 2016 Nissan Quest has the same powertrain. Ugh.. It's at about 78K miles. The VQ35's are pretty tight under there, but I don't *think* cooling fan R/R's would be too bad on them?

Last edited:
having a 2011 fronty that gets my attention for sure. an aftermarket universal unit or whatever would be in my sights. on a similar note the drivers side wheel seal gave out, barely 30 thou but preowned in Massachusetts so who knows what as the breather on the rear is said to clog + blow the seal-s. being a manual shifted 4WD it has the nissan-dana rear + no local parts had the parts as the seal itself was unique to my application, but the stealer had the complete required parts in stock, $160 for a bearing, collar + the unique seal. my indy said everything was about half at local parts like autozone but wrong seal, bearing was Timken samo OE. cheap compared to yours for sure

Can you just unplug the fan and live with it? Until your guy can fix it, or you can track down lower cost parts. I had a fan go out on my VW and the car didn't care--but it was a diesel & manual and thus the radiator was more decoration than requirement.

I'm guessing unplugging it might disable a/c but it's rather early in the summer to need max cooling.

Last edited:
Stealership price for the fan/shroud assembly was $536 and the labor was $330.

It was one of those deals where we needed it for an upcoming trip, otherwise I would have just cable tied another fan in it.
shocked2.gif

Oh yes, miles, 45,000 plus change.

Just for kicks i told Mrs MolaKule it was severe piston slap and we would need a new engine. Being the daughter of a mechanic she was not impressed with my sordid joke nor did she believe me.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule
Stealership price for the fan/shroud assembly was $536 and the labor was $330.

It was one of those deals where we needed it for an upcoming trip, otherwise I would have just cable tied another fan in it.
shocked2.gif

Oh yes, miles, 45,000 plus change.

Just for kicks i told Mrs MolaKule it was piston slap and we would need a new engine. Being the daughter of a mechanic she was not impressed with my sordid joke nor did she believe me.
grin2.gif

You would not believe the names I have been called by people over fan prices. For most applications now it is a whole fan/motor/shroud/module assembly and the price to match. I don't design the parts, just sell them.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
For most applications now it is a whole fan/motor/shroud/module assembly and the price to match.

^^Yep,This. Aka "Fan/Motor Assembly" from FoMoCo.

It's good you went with Nissan oem parts. I've never been happy with an aftermarket part,whether it was on my Olds or my Nissan. Oem only.

auto manufacturers make few parts as they are sourced from many suppliers usually at the lowest bid + IMO many times aftermarket can be better. as noted if you need it asap you gotta pay the fiddler!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
It's good you went with Nissan oem parts. I've never been happy with an aftermarket part,whether it was on my Olds or my Nissan. Oem only.

True, the original fan was also OEM.
blush.gif

Originally Posted by benjy
auto manufacturers make few parts as they are sourced from many suppliers usually at the lowest bid + IMO many times aftermarket can be better. as noted if you need it asap you gotta pay the fiddler!

In the case of some VW Jetta/Golf/Beetle fan units this is also the case, the OE were total garbage. Leaving the under body shield off almost guarantees a $400 fan module and fan unit fail on these cars.

Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by benjy

In the case of some VW Jetta/Golf/Beetle fan units this is also the case, the OE were total garbage. Leaving the under body shield off almost guarantees a $400 fan module and fan unit fail on these cars.

Wow. That's something we usually don't think about, regarding the dirt shield.

Yeah you wouldn't think about it causing all sorts of problems but it does especially when they mount electronics under the battery tray and on the front of the engine like coils and sensors.
The problem is when changing the oil filter you have to remove the center shield and often times its gets left out because its an added PITA to deal with, this is where the problems begin. Hot coils, cold water splash can crack the coils, steering rack boots can get water in them even though they supposed to be tight they often leak, next thing you know the thing has a leaky rack, squealing belts, the list goes on and on.

Inevitably you read on the forums how bad the VW cars are because they have these issues, in reality the friggin hammer head that threw the shields out is the culprit most of the time.
If it has a shield from the factory it goes back on or if its missing one goes on. Many people believe its just an aerodynamic piece and it may be in some cases on others its a functional part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back