Talk about manual labor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were designed for labor. In modern times, some of us exercise to stay fit. Nothing like a good day of hard work and sleeping like a baby. Not everyone takes pride in their work....Sweating is good for the mind, so to speak...

I used to think that the best day of my Dad's life was when he realised that the distance from the ground to my hands was greater than the distance from the ground to the wheelbarrow's handles...that's when moving stuff around the yard turned from a barrow here and there to 4-6 hours non stop.

Onetor is right about great sleep.

But it IS amazing how much stuff can be moved manually

Originally Posted by IndyIan
Its only 7 trips per ton, and easy shoveling. I wouldn't want to move gravel like that every day, but my Dad put in 4-5 tons of sand into our sand box in an afternoon. 100' run each way.

You'll have to explain that math to me. 2000 lbs in 7 trips is 285 lbs/ load. Not likely. At 100 lbs 80 tons is 1600 trips. And we have some of the same 1" sandstone rock, it's not easy shoveling at all and I'd guess 200' to the far wall. Is there some reason to marginalize a huge undertaking?

My very first pay check with Federal taxes being deducted was at age 15. I was a dish washer at Waffle House on Friday and Saturday nights only, from 11 PM to 7 AM.
There was plenty of entertainment from 2:15 AM and on (bars closed at 2 AM).
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Imp4
An anecdote is not data.

My data in this instance is, however, entirely and absolutely correct.

Thanks for clarifying.

Originally Posted by splinter
"The kind of work Americans won't do."

Except I'm a Yank and wasn't too proud to dig ditches for a living.

It's the work Americans won't do...

...for $10 an hour cash.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by IndyIan
Its only 7 trips per ton, and easy shoveling. I wouldn't want to move gravel like that every day, but my Dad put in 4-5 tons of sand into our sand box in an afternoon. 100' run each way.

You'll have to explain that math to me. 2000 lbs in 7 trips is 285 lbs/ load. Not likely. At 100 lbs 80 tons is 1600 trips. And we have some of the same 1" sandstone rock, it's not easy shoveling at all and I'd guess 200' to the far wall. Is there some reason to marginalize a huge undertaking?

I wasn't really meaning to marginalize it, but you can move a lot of weight in a wheel barrow without killing yourself. A 300lb load isn't that hard to move unless you've got to go uphill with it. Your only lifting a fraction of the weight at the handles. This guy needs some more weight in front of the wheel and he'd be doing 400kg! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-kKM8__y-c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back