GTX Ultraclean bottles now state: Syn Blnd; for SUVs, pickup trucks like F-150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Nickdfresh
Originally Posted by benjy
only a little group III is required for synthetic blend or semi-synthetic, so IMO a full synthetic usually all group III is a far better buy + super-tech full synthetic may be priced similarly + a lot better IMO. you pay $$$ for the big name oils + support their "gifts" to racing as well as advertising.

You're about 10-15 years out of date. Most "conventional" oils have been syn-blend since the advent of SN if not longer. The exact definitions are a bit blurred but they're probably well beyond "only a little". Probably at least a third is Group III or GTL. A Pennzoil retiree was stating that the old PYB "conventional" usually was a blend of 30% Group III or more at least a decade ago. If not, it was Group II+ which is pretty close to a "syn" anyways.....

Not sure it is current, but the latest GTX 5w-20 MSDS shows it to be what appears to be predominantly Group II, FWIW:

You'll note that the amount of hydrotreated (likely Group II+ or Group III) base is quite low, whilst the "highly refined" portion is the majority.

On the other hand, the 2014 MSDS for the SynBlend GTX 5w-20 shows 45-50% Group III:

I'm still learning how to read these. Does the 5w-30 Edge show higher quality base??

Originally Posted by Env1ous
Originally Posted by Nickdfresh
Originally Posted by benjy
only a little group III is required for synthetic blend or semi-synthetic, so IMO a full synthetic usually all group III is a far better buy + super-tech full synthetic may be priced similarly + a lot better IMO. you pay $$$ for the big name oils + support their "gifts" to racing as well as advertising.

You're about 10-15 years out of date. Most "conventional" oils have been syn-blend since the advent of SN if not longer. The exact definitions are a bit blurred but they're probably well beyond "only a little". Probably at least a third is Group III or GTL. A Pennzoil retiree was stating that the old PYB "conventional" usually was a blend of 30% Group III or more at least a decade ago. If not, it was Group II+ which is pretty close to a "syn" anyways.....

Not sure it is current, but the latest GTX 5w-20 MSDS shows it to be what appears to be predominantly Group II, FWIW:

You'll note that the amount of hydrotreated (likely Group II+ or Group III) base is quite low, whilst the "highly refined" portion is the majority.

On the other hand, the 2014 MSDS for the SynBlend GTX 5w-20 shows 45-50% Group III:

I'm still learning how to read these. Does the 5w-30 Edge show higher quality base??

For just straight-up Edge 5w-30 (not professional...etc) the PDS is 2017 vintage and it shows 25-50% Group II and 25-50% Group III. So it's not much "better" than the "blend".

[Linked Image]

Good enough for the F150-but not the Silverado since it doesn't appear to be Dexos rated!

Originally Posted by CKN
Good enough for the F150-but not the Silverado since it doesn't appear to be Dexos rated!

Nor does it come in 0W-20.

Every GM & Ford appliance needs an oil jug with an appropriate marketing blurb; SOPUS & Castrol are happy to oblige, looks like.
coffee2.gif

For just straight-up Edge 5w-30 (not professional...etc) the PDS is 2017 vintage and it shows 25-50% Group II and 25-50% Group III. So it's not much "better" than the "blend".

Thank you for all the help! That was 2 years ago and with the new specs out im wondering if that would illicit a change in base stocks?
I kind of hate how they do not update their websites or product info as much as they should lol

Thank you for all the help! That was 2 years ago and with the new specs out im wondering if that would illicit a change in base stocks?
I kind of hate how they do not update their websites or product info as much as they should lol

If you saw my earlier posts, you'll see that they didn't update the MSDS for the 5w-20 GTX but did for the 5w-30. Ridiculous! LOL I'll see if I can find a newer one though.

If you saw my earlier posts, you'll see that they didn't update the MSDS for the 5w-20 GTX but did for the 5w-30. Ridiculous! LOL I'll see if I can find a newer one though.

I just emailed them and they got back to me within an hour?!

It is NOT updated for the new SN+ spec... lol of course!

OK, so Edge 5w-20 (2019 data sheet) shows to be majority Group III. Edge 5w-30 Extended Performance? the same, majority Group III. Edge Professional 5w-30 also shows majority Group III. Edge 5w-30 C1, which has a 2019 MSDS, shows 50-75% Group III, 10-25% Group II.

It LOOKS like the A5/B5 version is the "current" Edge version, PDS HERE.

Last MSDS for that product is November 2017 and shows 50-75% Group III, 10-25% Group II, FWIW.

Yeah, definitely wouldn't be "current" to SN Plus if from 2017. Are they going to link you to an updated version or do they simply not have one yet?

OK, so Edge 5w-20 shows to be majority Group III. Edge 5w-30 Extended Performance? the same, majority Group III. Edge Professional 5w-30 also shows majority Group III. Edge 5w-30 C1, which has a 2019 MSDS, shows 50-75% Group III, 10-25% Group II.

It LOOKS like the A5/B5 version is the "current" Edge version, PDS HERE.

Last MSDS for that product is November 2017 and shows 50-75% Group III, 10-25% Group II, FWIW.

With that, I would feel pretty confident using it Edge. You are fast. Barely type my reply up!! lol

Yeah, definitely wouldn't be "current" to SN Plus if from 2017. Are they going to link you to an updated version or do they simply not have one yet?

No info on when one will be published. I know for a fact they have one. If they have employees around chemicals they have a MSDS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back