Help with new tires for the Malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am contemplating the RT43 again. I did have them on another vehicle but, only for about 18 months before selling the vehicle and they were fine the whole time. They were/are a great tire at an entry level price and score high in many circles & publications.

in an attempt to update questions
We would need all seasons. Walmart is really the only game in town, there is a tire dealership but crazy expensive and not the most trustworthy. Not a member of any big box stores as the nearest one is about 40 minutes away.

I will continue to look at all the suggestions. Probably get a set in the next week or so and should be back to work by June 3rd (that's the guess from the Surgeon and my primary care Dr.).

+1 on the General Altimax RT-43's. Really nice all around tire IMO. May have to shop around and price match to get a good deal. Negative on the Viva 3.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
If winter performance is important, and you don't use separate tires for the winter, consider a 3-peak all-season tire. Walmart carries the Toyo Celsius for $119 each...

... For $100 each, you can get actual Goodyear tires that are not Walmart specials. The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric AS. Out of stock now, but when they get them in, they are worth considering.

Although those Toyo Celsius are above the intended budget, and are a compromise tire achieving tread wear between that of a winter and all season, they are what I would get for an "all season" tire for Michigan winters, especially if in an area that gets lake-snow... depends, some vehicles *need* to be driven in snowy weather and some don't.

Goodyears's budget series tires, whether a model # special for walmart or not, are pretty underwhelming performers and I'd sooner go with a 2nd tier manufacturer's mid-grade tire. The Viva 3 has a 60K mi treadwear rating which on a tire this cheap (under $60 at other sellers before shipping?) makes it most likely it has a hard rubber compound that will do poorly in winter. This is typical for major brand budget tires, buying all-season for an area that gets significant snow and ice is one of the harder tire choices to make.

Originally Posted by BobsArmory
We would need all seasons. Walmart is really the only game in town.
I will continue to look at all the suggestions.

For an all season tire, the AltiMAX RT43 do quite well in the snow & ice according to customer reviews and I can attest to that. And I believe that Walmart sells them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BobsArmory
We would need all seasons. Walmart is really the only game in town, there is a tire dealership but crazy expensive and not the most trustworthy. Not a member of any big box stores as the nearest one is about 40 minutes away.

I will continue to look at all the suggestions. Probably get a set in the next week or so and should be back to work by June 3rd (that's the guess from the Surgeon and my primary care Dr.).

Walmart.com has a dizzying array of tires, more choices than most any tire store. See what they have, read reviews. When you decide you can use their ship to store and they will mount, balance and do the rest. Can't get any easier if they're the only game in town and you don't have to pick from just what they have on the store shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back