17 GTI 50k

Status
Not open for further replies.
30K mileage was the last oil change that I had done at the dealer for free, so I sent it in at the 40k. Im assuming it was Castrol something or other. 50k from LiquiMoly.

For being named LiquiMoly... I would have expected significantly more moly in the oil? When I sent my Crosstrek Hybrid oil in, it came back at 79. Maybe I just dont understand properly.

Any recommendations? The LiquiMoly was pitch black that I mailed off.

[Linked Image]

17GTI.png

Last edited:
Looks fantastic. Can I assume you do a lot of highway miles and get the engine up to temp pretty much every drive?

Really low Fe for a EA888, similar to mine.

Stick with the 10k intervals as you are a good candidate. Short trippers with this TGDI engine should stick to 5k.

For an expensive German full-sun, that really looks like a basic additive package. Low boron and low moly with a big dose of Ca. I've been running PPE and my UOA shows 61ppm each of Moly and Boron.

I always assumed that it would contain more Moly, too!

A few other nit-picky things:

1. The oil is brown, not pitch-black.

2. 50k-40.2k != 10k

3. TBN and TAN would help

If it was Castrol at the dealership (the previous UOA shown), there should be titanium, I'm pretty sure they put some in all their brews.
It's true "LiquiMoly" doesn't always use moly, seems weird but its an old brand name, very misleading. They could be using some tungsten FM, as they do in their Molygen oils, or OFM (glycerol mono-oleate or novel polymer based friction modifiers) for all we know. I recommend walmart's Castrol or Mobil1 0w40, easy to get and among the best. LiquiMoly is more expensive.

Everyone is looking for the perfect brew for their tgdi vw engines including me , to make it easy the choice is probably at Wally World for 25 bucks . Castrol 0w40 . My only concern with it is the huge slug of Calcium . But the VWs aren't prone to have the LSPI issue anyway .

as far as LSPI never seen even the smaller turbo offerings from VW with this issue. real automatic + manual trannies + their great warranty are pluses in my book. not sure but do you have the uprated tensioner older models are having issues with, just a heads up!

Originally Posted by gathermewool
I always assumed that it would contain more Moly, too!

A few other nit-picky things:

1. The oil is brown, not pitch-black.

2. 50k-40.2k != 10k

3. TBN and TAN would help

Yea yea, I didn't notice that so 10,200ish miles lol.

Whats TBN and TAN?

Originally Posted by Gubkin
Which one ?

Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40 (SN, A3/B4, 229.5)
Liqui Moly Leichtlauf HC 7 5W-40 (SN, A3/B4, 229.3)

Liqui Moly 2332 Leichtlauf High Tech... not sure the difference between the two
smile.gif

Originally Posted by MilesToEmpty
Whats TBN and TAN?
TBN is the capacity left over for the oil to fight acid build-up, and TAN is the amount of measured acids actually present. TBN should be high (2 to 12) and TAN low. TBN is commonly reported, TAN less often. Calcium and magnesium based detergents raise TBN, high in fresh oil, and get used up, indicating the oil is worn out when it is below 2. (Acids are bad since they cause corroson and trigger sludge formation.)

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Whats TBN and TAN?
TBN is the capacity left over for the oil to fight acid build-up, and TAN is the amount of measured acids actually present. TBN should be high (2 to 12) and TAN low. TBN is commonly reported, TAN less often. Calcium and magnesium based detergents raise TBN, high in fresh oil, and get used up, indicating the oil is worn out when it is below 2. (Acids are bad since they cause corroson and trigger sludge formation.)

Is this something I need to specifically request?

Is this something I need to specifically request?
Blackstone charges extra for TBN and/or TAN. Most people just ask for TBN.
Personally, an oil analysis just needs to tell me:
1. iron & other metals: wear issues
2. silicon: too high means your air filter air path might be loose, letting in some silica dust.
3. potassium: detects coolant leaks, nice to know of course.
4. viscosity: If it ends up too low, this can tell you it's time to raise starting viscosity to compensate (fuel dilution, shearing for your type of driving cycles and/or engine type).

TBN not necessary unless you're pushing beyond 15,000 miles or 1 year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back