Which barb fitting is less likely to leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which fitting is less likely to leak in an ATF hose application? I'm assuming that for the NPT threaded portion brass is better.
Straight barb or jagged barb?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The fitting will go into an aluminum remote filter mount.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by maxdustington
Straight barb is made for a clamp?

I'll use fuel injector hose clamps on either type.

If properly clamped, neither is likely to leak. Use the aluminum so you don't have dissimilar metals increasing the corrosion rate, unless the threading itself isn't aluminum, then use the brass because it's stronger.

The straight Barb is better for not leaking. More surface area clamping against the hose.

I'd go with the straight barb and a high-quality spring clamp. The ridged barb is not meant to be used with a clamp.

if the blue one is aluminum i would not use it. and dont for to skip the first 2 threads with the tape.

Originally Posted by red7404
if the blue one is aluminum i would not use it. and dont for to skip the first 2 threads with the tape.

May I please know the reason why?
This type of anodized aluminum fitting is chinese made, quite a few on ebay. According to one listing, the 3/8" barb ones I'm looking at, have 9mm diameter at the smooth barb section - that doesn't sound right to me for a 3/8" hose.

I won't use teflon tape, it did not work for me in the past. I'll use Permatex grey most likely, maybe thread sealant (I've gotten some small leaks with this too).

I have a remote filter mount that I used 1 of each type of barb on, that's all that was locally available when I needed it. I used it for an ATF filter on my 07 Tacoma for about 5 years, no leaks from either barb just using a regular clamp. I removed the remote filter mount before I traded that truck in, I'll use it for something else eventually.

I suggest using Permatex High temp thread sealant on your threaded connections. I tried using Teflon tape with mine and it leaked. The High Temp Thread Sealant did the trick, no issues after that.

Originally Posted by joegreen
The straight Barb is better for not leaking. More surface area clamping against the hose.

Agree especially when used with a "fuel injection" type clamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back