Any 17+ GTI's running Amsoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2017 GTI and Im approaching 60k miles. Been running LiquiMoly and got less then mind blowing results form the last 2 test labs I had done on them.

I run Amsoil in my STI and really like it... so I was considering Amsoil for the GTI as well, but I'm hearing mixed results?

I haven't seen any "test" info just keep hearing from the VW guys its not 502 certified... but the euro states that it is.

Just trying to get some info before I commit.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...5w-40-synthetic-motor-oil/?code=AFLQT-EA

Originally Posted by MilesToEmpty
I haven't seen any "test" info just keep hearing from the VW guys its not 502 certified... but the euro states that it is.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...5w-40-synthetic-motor-oil/?code=AFLQT-EA

No it does not state that. The product you linked is not VW 202 00 approved and in fact no Amsoil products have 502 00 approval. It does have Porsche A40 which is nothing to sneeze at, but then so do Mobil 1 and Castrol 0W-40 at Walmart for about $4.60-$5.00 a quart. Besides A40 those both also have actual VW 502 00 approval.

Originally Posted by MilesToEmpty
That's why Im trying to research it.

There's very little, if any advantage to it. If you makes you feel good, spend the money, otherwise there are far cheaper oil out there that actually meet 502.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Try some Pennzoil 5w-40.

If he does "try" it, what should he look for to find out if it is worth a higher price than another oil with 502 00 approval?

Originally Posted by kschachn
Try some Pennzoil 5w-40.

If he does "try" it, what should he look for to find out if it is worth a higher price than another oil with 502 00 approval?

Its not that much more. You can get it for $30 with a free filter at any of the auto parts stores on sale, which is usually every other month. Still cheaper than liqui moly. I guess is his main complaint is that its coming out black if you see his other thread. I guess if it doesn't come out pitch black it worked?

OP, have you tired Liqui Moly Molygen?

Try some Pennzoil 5w-40.

Meh, I've been seeing higher oil temps by 10-20 degrees using Pennzoil compared to Castrol Edge (0w40).

Try some Pennzoil 5w-40.

Its not that much more. You can get it for $30 with a free filter at any of the auto parts stores on sale, which is usually every other month. Still cheaper than liqui moly. I guess is his main complaint is that its coming out black if you see his other thread. I guess if it doesn't come out pitch black it worked?

OP, have you tired Liqui Moly Molygen?

Here's a photo of the oil. This was the first time Ive ran LiquiMoly. It was literally pitch black, and Ive never had any oil that dark before so I was never certain. This is me just looking for recommendation and direction
[Linked Image]

To me that's not pitch black. That's just a dark amber color.

Don't look at the container its self, look at the lid with the white back ground.

No one on here has ever posted anything that correlates oil color with performance. In fact, I've never seen anything that correlates color with the oil itself at all. One would think it has more to do with the engine or the filter rather than the oil.

My opinion only, but I would be far more suspicious of an oil that came out looking clean as opposed to one that didn't. Having said that though, I really wouldn't care either way as long as the oil I was using carried the proper approval as required by the manufacturer.

My opinion only, but I would be far more suspicious of an oil that came out looking clean as opposed to one that didn't. Having said that though, I really wouldn't care either way as long as the oil I was using carried the proper approval as required by the manufacturer.

I agree, to me it looks like the oil was cleaning on this run. I don't see anything out of the ordinary, its not pitch black and good UOA. I think most here would agree if its pitch black (in a gas engine) it needs to be changed.

Last edited:
Oil colour means nothing. I've seen vehicles actually pitch black after 3K miles and others still amber on the dipstick at 6K miles. My Santa Fe was one of those... Amber until change time and very light in colour on the drain but the UOA said it was spent. The Caravans in the family will be dark black when I change it and it still has lots of life left according to the UOA.

Lab report is the only true way to tell if an oil is suitable for continued use.

As for VW, Amsoil is not officially licensed for their specifications as they are for other OE's in their Euro line, but if you want to use it, use what oil they recommend for your application as per their vehicle look-up online catalogue. It's quite a nice system they use.

Last edited:
It looks like the GTI engine is direct injection, so I wouldn't worry too much about oil color.
DI engines tend to produce soot, and the oil in my DIT is dark very soon after I change it.
I doubt that any oil is going to change this tendency...

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
It looks like the GTI engine is direct injection, so I wouldn't worry too much about oil color.
DI engines tend to produce soot, and the oil in my DIT is dark very soon after I change it.
I doubt that any oil is going to change this tendency...

Same here. My oil is "pitch-black" at 2-3k miles.

of course there are always cheaper oils but seeing you prefer better to cheaper Redline would be my choice, Ravenol is good as well if the RUP 5-40 is for street use as well. with my small 4.25 sump in my 300 torque 2001 TT i use Redline 10-40 winter then 15-50 in the warmer summer Pa weather. it uses some @ 25 lbs boost + the 15-50 works better. if not using any or doing track days a 10-40 would do better than a 5-40 unless in extreme cold IMO. i never am concerned with the oil i use even in a warranty + never use any xx-20 oils in my rides

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back