Ford Escape rust repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the passenger side sealed up. Still have a little more arch to finish. Fiberglass and rubber undercoating to patch the hole. Seems pretty tough. Drilling the holes for the bracket was tough was the hardest part. Overall the stock mount was still solid but didn't want to worry about it again. New brake line while I was there and had to patch where the cut off wheel got to close. The drivers side is on hold till I fix the Focus.. again. That side hasn't rusted through yet.

B64F8F22-01D3-4A7F-94D0-98F4472CA010.jpeg

CF466BF6-6FB2-4260-98CC-69AACE5EFD13.jpeg

DEAB3E05-197A-4B1A-AFBC-1F6AB37EF154.jpeg

fiberglass can be a really good repair, I'd worry about it possibly cracking from body flex,

in a door repair not so much flex. I've used/seen it used in the past to repair some doors that were missing 2-3" off the bottom due to rust

The fiberglass sheeting isn't pulled tight and only has three layers of epoxy so it's still flexible. I aimed the undercoating into those locations where moisture could collect, it's possible but I also hit everything with a rust converter coating before the undercoating. The bracket has two bolts just hidden by the shock. I used the kit from https://wearebss.com/ .. step by step instructions and pretty easy.

Dang. The BIL totaled his out because of the same issue. Probably got scrap value..

Perhaps I should have bought it from him? Lol

Thanks for sharing! I didn't realize this was such a wide spread problem with the Ford Escapes. Once again, it reinforces the idea that all car brands have some Achilles heel here and there.

That is a very economical repair that will get you several more years use out of a vehicle that might otherwise go to the junkyard, as dlundblad suggested. That rubber undercoating is complained about here at BITOG for drying out, cracking, and allowing moisture to creep underneath it. I would monitor it several times a year and maybe spray a penetrating oil rust proofing on it if needed (per Krisz above). However, even if you never touch it again, it will still probably get you a few more years use out of the vehicle.

Kudos. Again, thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Dang. The BIL totaled his out because of the same issue. Probably got scrap value..

Perhaps I should have bought it from him? Lol

Actually thought watching the lists and maybe grabbing a few to repair.. don't really have the time. Almost all rusted this way.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Thanks for sharing! I didn't realize this was such a wide spread problem with the Ford Escapes. Once again, it reinforces the idea that all car brands have some Achilles heel here and there.

That is a very economical repair that will get you several more years use out of a vehicle that might otherwise go to the junkyard, as dlundblad suggested. That rubber undercoating is complained about here at BITOG for drying out, cracking, and allowing moisture to creep underneath it. I would monitor it several times a year and maybe spray a penetrating oil rust proofing on it if needed (per Krisz above). However, even if you never touch it again, it will still probably get you a few more years use out of the vehicle.

Kudos. Again, thanks for sharing.

Yeah it was only $289 for the kit.. cheaper than a new SUV! This is asphalt undercoating.. I wonder if it would dry up also. I'll have to look into it. But I did put two layers of rust spray paint under the two layers of undercoating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back