Do I need to add Cera Tec Friction Modifier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
You mean it's not pronounced "Porch, huh?"

57.gif

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
LN Engineering rebuilds Porsche engines, ......He recommends using Ceratec to bring the moly level up. I'm about 5 wks away from another oil change, at which time I'll send off another sample and I'm going to put in 300ml on that oil change. Normal fill is about 9.5 liters of oil.
300 ml (1/3 quart) is one bottle of Ceratec, and that will only raise moly by about 180 ppm, which is enough to matter. Boron will only go up by 12 ppm, light, but it's there.

Seen in a lot of tribology tech papers, about every time moly is added or increased slightly, it's effective. There is likely some boost in the light amount you'd add in the big 9.5L sump.
http://elit-oil.io.ua/files/0001/21/00012167.pdf
https://www.infineuminsight.com/media/1802/7-additive-components-v4a.pdf

Racing oils typically have a ton of moly. Japanese light oils (0w20, 0w16) often have a lot. This could work.

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Originally Posted by Trav
15ppm total wear metals, what more do you want. Whiz bang in a can isn't helping much if at all unless you consider junk in the bottom of the pan and white graphite (Ceratec= h-BN aka white graphite) snot clumped inside the engine helpful.
Not much boron in Ceratec. A 20:1 ratio of it in your sump would only raise boron levels by 18 ppm, that's all.
Moly will go up by 270 ppm which is decent. Not excessive.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Posted a while back:
Originally Posted by Izb
VOA of Ceratec: http://bmwservice.livejournal.com/38285.html
Mo:5419 ppm
Bo: 359 ppm
Mainly ammonium molybdenum (strictly according to MSDS: 5%)

----------------------------------------------------------------

LN Engineering rebuilds Porsche engines, they're the folks that design and build the "solution" IMS bearing replacement kit. I've been chatting with the head honcho there and he sent me the oil analysis kits free of charge because he wants to keep watching my UOA's because I drive it 400+ miles a week. I'm definitely up for that!

He recommends using Ceratec to bring the moly level up. I'm about 5 wks away from another oil change, at which time I'll send off another sample and I'm going to put in 300ml on that oil change. Normal fill is about 9.5 liters of oil.

Thanks for the information, from what you said I feel safe that because I drive it a lot it definitely won't hurt. LN Engineering will send me another kit to see what the levels are with the Ceratec in it.

Side note for everyone: I do drive the car pretty hard even though it's my daily driver! But that's the fun of driving a Porsche... (POR - SHUH, two syllables please)

On the other hand RUF who probably knows as much about these engines as any company on earth yet recommends using the manufacturers specified oil with no additional additives. Sorry I am not understand this, the engine produced a very desirable UOA why mess with a good thing.
I am curious but also would not be surprised if the wear went up, post how it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back