Why Do Some Folks Dislike Fram Oil Filters?

Hello everyone. I am trying to learn and understand, that is the point of my thread. Why do some dislike Fram so much? Lets take their PH line for example. Is it the so called cardboard end caps? Does that really matter as they have nothing to do with the filtering itself? The filters have a silicone antidrainbacl valve so that is not it. The price is not leaps and bounds higher or lower than a competitor for example. So, what is it? Is it all about some long time dead reputation from decaces a go that is no longer relevant? The Fram PH2 is $0.09 cheaper than the Motorcraft FL820S for my truck, so it can not be about the price. Help me understand why all there is Fram hate in the automotive community.

All based on past history of them having cheap cardboard caps, poor, or lack of filter material, collapsing, etc. There has been many issues with them over the years. I use the Fram Ultras and love them as do most on here, its just the OCOD (orange cans of death) that are disliked.

This is of course pretty much the definition of a troll thread. But if I were to play along, where are you seeing this hate? On here?

Originally Posted by kschachn
This is of course pretty much the definition of a troll thread. But if I were to play along, where are you seeing this hate? On here?

No, not on here. Sorry, not trying to be a troll. I am just curious. I mean just in general. Talk to car guys at a car show and you here comments about never use a Fram. Online videos talk about Fram being junk because of cardboard endcaps when they should be steel....for example. That arquement is irrelevent as that has nothing to do with the ability to filter.

I do not care about perception. I have a Ultra on my Miata but I also do not care about 20,000 mile since I change my filter each oil change. Name does not matter. This site is all about getting info. Better filters are right around the corner and the players are both old and new manufacturers, just gotta keep your mind open.

The Purolator filters will also be hated for many years due to their media tearing issues. It takes a long time to convince people that what was once a bad product is now a good product again. Same thing happened with the Fram orange can filters.

Plus, lots of people don't fully understand oil filter construction and function. That's why non-metal end caps are hated by those that don't realize it makes no difference if done right.

Originally Posted by s1mp13m4n
Originally Posted by kschachn

No, not on here. Sorry, not trying to be a troll. I am just curious. I mean just in general. Talk to car guys at a car show and you here comments about never use a Fram. Online videos talk about Fram being junk because of cardboard endcaps when they should be steel....for example. That arquement is irrelevent as that has nothing to do with the ability to filter.

It's just statistics. Fram probably outsells every other brand by a wide margin so naturally there will be more incidents of errors.. whether caused by the filter itself or user installation error.

People are chumps.

FWIW, the question should be "Why Do Some Folks Dislike "ORANGE" Fram Oil Filters?".

The word "ORANGE" is important in your question.
Because people LIKE the Fram XG aka Ultra.

So, generalizing it as Fram is not correct.

Why people hate the ORANGE?
Over the years, it has been reported that the oil filter collapse.
I have seen a few cases within the 6.5L Diesel community.
The turbo diesel truck tends to run hotter than normal gasser truck.

Last edited:
I've always refused to use the cheaper Frams on my Cummins diesel because the poor construction wouldn't withstand the 100+ psi peak oil pressure. Filtering ability is meaningless when the filter starts shedding its guts into the oil system. I believe this was only with the cheapest orange ones, not with the Ultras. I use and like the Fram Ultras on my gas cars just fine.

I think people are looking at the bottom of the line Fram filter and incorrectly believing that Fram uses the same low-end materials and construction in all of their filter lines, which of course makes no sense.

Originally Posted by JMJNet
FWIW, the question should be "Why Do Some Folks Dislike "ORANGE" Fram Oil Filters?".

The word "ORANGE" is important in your question.
Because people LIKE the Fram XG aka Ultra.

So, generalizing it as Fram is not correct.

Why people hate the ORANGE?
Over the years, it has been reported that the oil filter collapse.
I have seen a few cases within the 6.5L Diesel community.
The turbo diesel truck tends to run hotter than normal gasser truck.

The true Fram haters even hate the Ultra because of the brand, They don't have any technical knowlege of anything concerning oil filters, they just parrot the brand hate.

Alright, thank you everyone. That is what I thought. It is an outdated thing based on the orange can Fram having issues a long time a go. Similar to a Puralator issue that was more recent but is now also a non-issue. You have answered my questions, thank you for the help.

When the people had trouble in the past with the OCOD that started the negative talk , was it because they tried to use it for way longer than it was designed for? Also, did people really have trouble with the filter in the first place? I'm guilty of messing with Fram as much as anyone but it's really just a running gag to me. The entire thing could be due to a rumor.

Fram had bad rep for many many years on this forum, for carb board end cap, its a really poor quality. AND PEOPLES BEEN ASKING AND ASKING FOR MANY YEARS, FOR FRAM TO CHANGE TO METAL END CAP, THEY FAIL TO LISTEN. Fram say it help stick to the media better, bla bla bla. this where OCOD , Orange Can Of Death nick name came from, also bad rep on EVERY SINGLE cars forum. Even today its still cheap made, but when the Ultra came out, its a solid oil filter, i use fram air filter on all my vehicles, fram ultra from time to time, but never OCOD.

peoples try to mask and try to forget OCOD nickname, by came up with another name, nickname..... but it will never going away. The damage already been done, nothing can fix it. I dont care how much fram rep came here try to defend it, or fan boy try to defend it, OCOD nick name will never go away. End of discussion .

Who cares.
Fram is just eh at best and that's the truth that is so unpopular around here and around here almost exclusively. Niether Purolator nor any other brand will suffer the legendarily wide spread negative reputation that the ocod did. Regardless of if it really deserved it or not.

Once upon a time there was an employee who left Fram and was angry about it. He posted (on the MOPAR board) that the orange can of death was a horrible thing that had cardboard end caps and would surely destroy any car. He was on this board for a short time about fifteen years ago. This view of Fram quickly spread all over the Internet. Everyone, including me, believed it.

Fram slowly fought back. There was a poster on this board who did his best to change the OCOD perception. He has since been let go, when ownership changed, but Fram owes him a debt of gratitude, even though they don't realize it.

I can't change my own oil so I go to Wally World or a tire-oil change chain. Ten years ago, I insisted that the OCOD be replaced with a Walmart filter. Now, I don't care. For five thousand mile change intervals, the OCOD, cardboard and all is just fine. The rumors are still out there, however, and Fram better watch its still sullied reputation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by csandste
Once upon a time there was an employee who left Fram and was angry about it. He posted (on the MOPAR board) that the orange can of death was a horrible thing that had cardboard end caps and would surely destroy any car. He was on this board for a short time about fifteen years ago.

One wonders if this individual isn't still here posting under multiple other screen names.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
The Purolator filters will also be hated for many years due to their media tearing issues.

I don't think anyone outside of BITOG knows about that issue though. I have never heard anyone in person or on any other forum mention anything bad about Purolator. (for that matter I don't hear anyone talking about them at all)

Originally Posted by s1mp13m4n
Alright, thank you everyone. That is what I thought. It is an outdated thing based on the orange can Fram having issues a long time a go. Similar to a Puralator issue that was more recent but is now also a non-issue. You have answered my questions, thank you for the help.

The tearing media has ceased? An honest question, I thought it was still happening with examples posted here, how would you know the root cause was corrected?

Back