Fix or replace harness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pulled the radiator out, but the connector on the coolant sensor gave me grief. Like the noob I am I grabbed it with a pair of pliers, just to wiggle it, as the latch was loose but it simply would not pull off--and of course the pliers slipped. And of course I sliced the wire right at the connector. I think the sensor might have leaked coolant into the connector, as the contacts are all black now, but the wire still looks clean (the one that I chopped).

Anyhow.

I'm not seeing what this harness is called, nor where to get one, nor how to repair (surely there is a way to pull the pin).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[I removed the seal in the last photo.]

There is a lock on the pin, you slide a very THIN tool in the v=cavity opposite where the connector blade goes in to depress it. Something made out of an old Feeler Gage or carefully ground down pick works pretty good.

repair harnesses are available for most brands, check with your auto stores, sometimes NAPA has better coverage, or your dealer.

Rod

Originally Posted by Trav
You can usually get connectors with wires and just splice it in. What car is this?

1999 Camry. I'd be fine with splicing it. I suppose if I have to go in to get a sensor, I can see if they have anything that mates.

I took a look at Autozone's site but didn't get far for terminal tools.

Try rockauto.com , O'Reilly , Autozone , NAPA and Advance web sites . Or the local junk / salvage yard .

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Try rockauto.com , O'Reilly , Autozone , NAPA and Advance web sites . Or the local junk / salvage yard .

Yeah, I'll hit Autozone on the way to work I guess, see what they have, then work my way through various stores. So much for sub-hour job this should have been!

I would remove the contacts from the connector and crimp a new one on the one that was cut, then put them back in the connector. Splicing anything electrical often causes problems later on from corrosion.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Splicing anything electrical often causes problems later on from corrosion.

Only if its a hack job. Many times the wire and terminal are corroded so you don't have too many choices. Yes ideally repinning the original connector if possible is the correct way but not the only way to do a good job.

I use heat shrink tubing to finish a splice.

Individual terminals should be removable from the connector. Some easier than others. You'll need to use a jeweler's screwdriver and hit the right spot. Once removed, splicing should be easier and look professional instead of a hack job.

I think I have some heat shrink tubing with glue on the inside--that should seal any splice.

I don't get it. Automakers can't be bothered to use a dollar of anti-seize on a car, so as to save a buck. Yet they will use not one but three different coolant temperature sensors--had to go to the dealer as Autozone's temp sensor was the wrong one (not really, just not the right one). Where this is in the radiator tank it appears that this sensor is for the transmission control unit. Halfway tempted to heat the sensor up to 200F, measure the resistance, and tack that into the wiring instead...

While at the dealer I got a couple of repair wires, will see if I can coax the terminal out.

Oh and that darn sensor, which I want to replace, is $138. I decided to hold off on that, for now.

Ha! Got the wires out, took a couple minutes of head scratching to figure out that there was a piece to remove (that small white piece) and then I had full access to the tab that holds the wire in. Should be well on my way now.

[Linked Image]

Those Toyota wires/terminals are very common across all models up to 2002. You can cut off a fuel injector, MAF, ignition coil, O2 sensor harness from a junkyard etc & use them. If you want to pay postage, I can send you some

Originally Posted by mehullica
Those Toyota wires/terminals are very common across all models up to 2002. You can cut off a fuel injector, MAF, ignition coil, O2 sensor harness from a junkyard etc & use them. If you want to pay postage, I can send you some

I should be all set, thank you--I bought a couple at the dealer, will get this repaired, then think about if I want to get some spares or not. TBH I don't know how long I'll have this car--it's nice to think it will last forever, but 20 years is a decent long span up here already.

Originally Posted by Trav
Splicing anything electrical often causes problems later on from corrosion.

Only if its a hack job. Many times the wire and terminal are corroded so you don't have too many choices.

Look into "environmental splices" from aerospace supply sources of how a REAL splice should be!

Honestly, even a good *proper* solder with shrink tube is good for the life of the car

Originally Posted by Linctex
Look into "environmental splices" from aerospace supply sources of how a REAL splice should be!

I'd love to find aerospace supply places around here but even the electronics supply stores have vanished years ago. Used to be half a dozen within 15 miles, Capital Radio, Mark Electronics etc. and Comsat was just up the road. Now that the yellow pages are gone you can't find anything local anyway.

Originally Posted by Linctex

I'd love to find aerospace supply places around here but even the electronics supply stores have vanished years ago. Used to be half a dozen within 15 miles, Capital Radio, Mark Electronics etc. and Comsat was just up the road. Now that the yellow pages are gone you can't find anything local anyway.

Yeah it's a bummer but welcome to the new world order.

You could hit up ebay and the like for common stuff. And keep around a box or two of salvage stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back