Different diameters front and rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by LeakySeals
The plan was wait till spring and buy all 4 in the correct size. ……

Where I live, spring is already here (so to speak) How about NH? What month are we talking?

There is a point where a new set of all season tires have better traction than a worn out set of winter tires. You might be there.

Originally Posted by faramir9
Your car likely does *not* have ABS. Mine did not, nor did any I read about in forums. (The one option some had was power seats.) Check if the ABS light comes on when you start the car. If not, you do not have ABS, so be careful to pump the brake rather than stomp and steer.

The car has ABS according to Edmunds: https://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/malibu/2005/features-specs/

OP, if you feel the tires are unsafe find a way to replace all 4 now and have peace of mind. You can buy brand name tires in your size for well under $100 each. Put 2 on a card and have it paid off by the time you were going to buy the other 2 or something. Be safe.

The different sized tires are "-1.7%" the general rule of thumb is

Also people have to run spare donuts from time to time, and even then the ABS doesn't freak out from such a large difference.

Last edited:

Thanks. The fresh bought Malibu classic has a current inspection sticker in New Hampshire so I guess they don't look at tire sizes. It's a 2005 so it has abs. It will only be for a month or two before I can get the back ones or what do you think about the condition of the tires I just posted? Can I get by with them for a couple of months till I can get all four? I will be out on the highway

First, studded snows on the front and all-seasons on the rear is bad. That's a case where the argument about "best tires on rear at all times" makes sense. (Sometimes it's overblown, but not here.)

I owned an '04 Chevy Classic for 6.5 years and know this car well. Your car likely does *not* have ABS. Mine did not, nor did any I read about in forums. (The one option some had was power seats.) Check if the ABS light comes on when you start the car. If not, you do not have ABS, so be careful to pump the brake rather than stomp and steer.

Also, the car is specced for 205/65R15, but with that tire size the speedo and odometer are off by 2.2. to 2.3%, I found. (Drive 307 miles and it reads 300.) Chevy kept things as cheap as possible when adapting the '97-'03 Malibu for the rental Classic. The Malibu had 215/60R15 tires and standard ABS. For the Classic, they bagged ABS and went to a slightly cheaper tire size, but without recalibrating the odometer. It still should not be off by as much as it is, but so it goes.

I ran 195/65R15 Pirelli P4 the last three years I owned the car. The speedo and odo were within 0.4% and it passed PA inspection, even though the tires were 91 load index and the OE tires were 92. (No clue why tires that size are 89 or 91, but never 90.)

Can you buy four tires now, and sell the four that are now on the car on CL, maybe? The Altimax Rt43 has a $50 rebate going. If not: How much tread is left on the rear tires?

Sorry to ramble on. I learned a lot about the '04-'05 Chevy Classic, good and bad. Good luck.
[/quote]

Your inspector likely didn't know, missed it, or didn't particularly care about such a small difference. It really isn't a big safety issue if you go down so slightly in size/load index, but it's where PA draws the line. Many tire shops that don't do inspections in PA don't adhere, and many inspection stations/workshops that don't specialize in tires don't know, either. And many small shops won't bother potentially losing a customer over something so minor in inspection.

Interesting about the reading differences. The 205/65 is slightly taller than the 215/60, which is a tougher size to buy. I understand why GM changed the size for the fleet-only Classic. Not recalibrating was a cheap move. I suppose certain GM systems are more forgiving that average. Also a good point about the spare, since GM is famous for providing TINY minispares with their cars. Most other manufacturers give you a skinny spare that's roughly the right diameter. GM gave out these little 12-14" spares even in full-size cars with 17" wheels. And you're right-they never really cause big errors in ABS/traction control in normal short-term use. Not sure about long-term mixing on bad roads, though.

FWIW, my '99 Avalon runs the same 205/65R15 size as the Classic is supposed to have. I have 4 Vredestein Quatrac 5s on it, which I bought online last May for $208 shipped. They were 2016 DOT codes, but were apparently stored correctly. I have been thrilled with them. I installed them myself.

In New England almost everyone drives a crossover or SUV now. So I'm getting a good look at rusting undercarriages. I can't find the car at the supermarket sometimes. Backing out a of parking spot is totally blind. So i would like a tire that is taller if possible.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Your car likely does *not* have ABS. Mine did not, nor did any I read about in forums. (The one option some had was power seats.) Check if the ABS light comes on when you start the car. If not, you do not have ABS, so be careful to pump the brake rather than stomp and steer.

The car has ABS according to Edmunds: https://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/malibu/2005/features-specs/

That's the retail Malibu. The OP has a Chevy Classic, the fleet-only version based on the 97-03 Malibu. It's often called the Malibu Classic....it's confusing. I had to explain it a few times at auto parts stores, and once an auto glass installer lost a sale when he pretty much laughed at me and told me I did not know what I was talking about.

Yeah I'm learning that when you sell, put a make and model on the title or refer to it casually you call it a Chevrolet Malibu Classic or people won't know what it is. But when you're looking for parts you just call it a Chevrolet Classic and that works great when ordering parts

With the 195/ 65 15 tires I'm getting 27 MPG average. Based on the miles on the odometer and how much gas to fill it. So I wonder if the mileage will be better when I get the 205/65 15. Not just because I'm switching from studded snows to all Season radials but because the engine won't rev as much and less rotations?

With the 195/ 65 15 tires I'm getting 27 MPG average. Based on the miles on the odometer and how much gas to fill it. So I wonder if the mileage will be better when I get the 205/65 15. Not just because I'm switching from studded snows to all Season radials but because the engine won't rev as much and less rotations?

Your mileage might be better yet look worse b/c of the odometer now lying. Really inconsequential ratio change anyway.

With the 195/ 65 15 tires I'm getting 27 MPG average......I wonder if the mileage will be better when I get the 205/65 15......
I've done what you are doing for 2 years now. I will continue such. My front drive Hyundai Accent, which had standard 175x65x14 wheels/tires, now has 195x65x15 wheels/tires on the front, a 2 inch difference in diameter. 195x60x15 wheels/tires are on the rear, which is a 0.8 inch difference from the 195x65x15 tires, now on the front. Two people noticed the different diameter tires, front to rear. The Accent, with the different diameter tires. handles better than it ever did previously with the standard tires. On dry pavement, the Accent drives through corners very well. On wet pavement, the front drive Accent, which normally has under-steer like most front drivers, now has predictable over-steer, which I much prefer for road control. With careful driving, the standard tires gave a high of 45MPG. With the bigger diameter front tires now, I had highs of 45, 47+ & 48+ MPG. My low-geared tranny, now has about 300 less rpms at 60MPH than with the old standard tires.

Last edited:
This is what it looks like in the fender well now. Tiny. I was hoping a little bit taller larger tire can fit on the rim.

20190311_180054.jpg

This is what it looks like in the fender well now. Tiny. I was hoping a little bit taller larger tire can fit on the rim.
Yes, you have plenty of room, for even a larger tire than the 205/65/15... maybe a 205x70x15 (might be hard to find a non-snow tire in that size). Consult tiresize.com/comparison to see if that size might fit. Quickly looking, tiresize.com indicates that the diameter of a 205/70/15 tire would be 1.3 inches greater than your present 195x65x15 tires(26.3/25= 1.052 ratio). You will have to compensate for speedometer error.... maybe 3 plus or minus MPH at 60MPH.....more if you go 80MPH. Also, you will register fewer Miles driven, than the highway markers indicate, so you can calculate your MPG accurately. You'll also have to determine if there is enough clearance from the inner wheel well frame to accompany an extra 10mm wide tire. Also, you must know if your front tires will rub any part of the inner wheel wells, steering gear or mudflaps when the steering wheel is cranked over hard. I found that when I replaced my 205x55x16 inch wheel/tires with 225x55x17 inch wheels/tires, the larger tires did barely touch the mudflaps with the steering wheel hard over....even tho I put well worn used tires on my car. I must never put brand new 225x55x17 inch tires on my car. But 215x55x17 tires should work well. So be careful!!
Since I went to larger tires AND WHEELS, I had my good regular mechanic determine clearances.....& it has worked out well. I am a feather footer, don't race & I buy used tires, so costs are low.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by litesong
Yes, you have plenty of room..... maybe a 205x70x15 (might be hard to find a non-snow tire in that size).
Read this thread from the beginning. You said the door jamb stated that 205/65/15 was the standard tire for the car. I'm more sure than ever that 205/70/15 tire would fit.

Last edited:
..... My front drive Hyundai Accent, which had standard 175x65x14 wheels/tires, now has 195x65x15 wheels/tires on the front, a 2 inch difference in diameter...... With careful driving, the standard tires gave a high of 45MPG. With the bigger diameter front tires now, I had highs of 45, 47+ & 48+ MPG. My low-geared tranny, now has about 300 less rpms at 60MPH than with the old standard tires.
Now, I have just added 205x65x15 inch tires to the front of the Accent. There is only 2% diameter difference between the 195x65x15's & the 205x65x15's. But, yes! I can tell the difference. Now there is a major difference between the old 175x65x14's & the 205's, & I love them. However, with the steering wheel cranked about 2/3rds of the way, the tire outside & inside edges are very close to the mudflaps. So far there is no scraping & my mechanic says good to go. So........ I go!

..... My front drive Hyundai Accent, which had standard 175x65x14 wheels/tires, now has 195x65x15 wheels/tires on the front, a 2 inch difference in diameter...... With careful driving, the standard tires gave a high of 45MPG. With the bigger diameter front tires now, I had highs of 45, 47+ & 48+ MPG. My low-geared tranny, now has about 300 less rpms at 60MPH than with the old standard tires.
Now, I have just added 205x65x15 inch tires to the front of the Accent. There is only 2% diameter difference between the 195x65x15's & the 205x65x15's. But, yes! I can tell the difference. Now there is a major difference between the old 175x65x14's & the 205's, & I love them. However, with the steering wheel cranked about 2/3rds of the way, the tire outside & inside edges are very close to the mudflaps. So far there is no scraping & my mechanic says good to go. So........ I go!

Thanks! I was thinking about 215 to make it a little taller. But I should probably just go with the tire that supposed to be on it. Next week I have to do the brakes.

......Thanks! I was thinking about 215 to make it a little taller. But I should probably just go with the tire that supposed to be on it.
Your Malibu is much bigger than my Hyundai Accent. Not going to a larger tire than your designated standard will be a waste of Malibu wheel well space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back