Looking to grow tomatoes in pots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to grow a few tomato plants in pots. Any ideas on how large of a pot I'd need to get? What type of pot works best? Has anyone done this? I don't want to plant them in the ground because I've used weed killer in my yard.

Do they still make the topsy turvy tomato planter that they used to advertise on TV?

I grow mine in 10 gallon pots. There are plenty of determinate types that do not get overly large. I just stake around the pot for indeterminate types.

You'll need a 15" or 18" pot, plenty of direct sun and lots of water.

I grew Bush Goliath variety last year. Got a small plant from Home Depot, but you can get them at any nursery.

You can grow a tomato in a 3 gallon pot, and have it terribly stunted if an indeterminate type, but you'll still get "some" tomatoes. Use double the # of 3 gal. pots if that's what you have. 5 gallon pots, you'll get more, and so on with larger pots. 20 gallons is usually about all you'll need unless you're feeding them quite a bit of fertilizer and have a long season. Determinate types usually don't need over about 8 gallons to get diminishing returns from a larger size pot, but again depends on how well you treat them.

The problem I have with pots is, I'll get some August storm with strong wind right about the time I have 10 lbs of fruit towards the top and it'll take one or more plants down. I've had wind break stakes, pull out of the ground, or even tip the whole pot over.

Personally, I wouldn't even bother with less than 5 gallons.

One option to get around the weed killer is read the instructions for it. Most have a limited amount of time they're effective so if you can wait that out, say start the plants in modest little pots, then transfer them into the ground once the weed killer has dissipated. Tomatoes transplant great, bury them up to the first set of leaves (deeper is better).

Last edited:
We grow two or three tomato plants on the deck every year. 14" pot minimum. We tie the cage to the deck railing so they don't tip over in the wind. Another tip is to put some weight in the bottom of the pot. Have some old weight set pieces you aren't using? They work well for this.

Last edited:
Firstly what type of tomatoes do you want to plant? Will you water the tomatoes? Because I've tried this and it's hard to do this every day if you are a busy man. Heard that there are some smart pots. As I know tomatoes must have a pretty big pot (5 liters and more). Hope I helped you in some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back