PAM Base Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
Polyalkyl Methacrylate-based oils (sometimes denoted as "PAMA") have been incorporated into _____________ ___________ lubricants with much success in extending drain intervals.

This question is mainly for the engineering disciplines, but anyone else can also answer if they wish.

Last edited:
Since some engineers wanted an engineering type question, so this question was presented.

Not to be confused with the Pour Point Depressant polyalkyl(meth)acrylate polymer (PAMA), this is a special Alkyl Methacrylate Polymer of C12, C14, C16, C18 structure which has the Synonyms:

Poly(Alkyl(C12-18) Methacrylate)Alkylketene Dimeralkyl Methacrylate Polymer, C12-18Alkylketene Dimeralkyl(C12-18) Methacrylate Polymeralkylketene Dimerc12-18 Alkyl Methacrylate Polymeralkylketene Dimer.

Polyalkyl Methacrylate-based oils (sometimes denoted as "PAMA") have been incorporated into Wind Turbine lubricants with much success in extending drain intervals.

Heavy duty gear trains subjected to extreme "multi-axis" loads have shown extended drain intervals and reduced pitting from formulations using this new base oil.

This base oil is also being used in automotive gear applications with the same effect.

Last edited:
That was a tough one, Mola. The only thing I could find was the pour point depressant materials that you mentioned, which were fairly dated papers, leading me to believe that was the wrong rabbit hole.

Mola, I have to ask, is their any lubricant out there that you don't know everything about?

Your knowledge base never ceases to amaze me!!

Hello MolaKule,

could gyroscopic loads in an internal combustion engine or gearboxes be calculated as multi axis-ones, from a lubricant designer's point of view? which is the special property this fluid has that can perform this way?

thank you in advance for your feedback,

Originally Posted by berlyn
Hello MolaKule,

could gyroscopic loads in an internal combustion engine or gearboxes be calculated as multi axis-ones, from a lubricant designer's point of view? which is the special property this fluid has that can perform this way?

thank you in advance for your feedback,

I am not clear about your question since I tend to think of gyroscopic forces in 3-Dimensions.

Gyroscopic forces.

In engines and transmissions there are radial loads, axial loads, thrusting loads, etc.

The lubricant presented here simply lubricates moving and sliding parts, within whatever axis is considered.

In small aircraft, where you have left turning gyroscopic procession because of the propeller mass, this has to be corrected by right-rudder control.

So again, I am unclear as to your question.

Last edited:
Hello MolaKule,

it is now clear I understand. I misinterpreted multi-axis for 3D forces, so I thought the gyroscopic 3D ones.

Thanks again for the valuable feedback.

Could I also ask why the PAM base oils are not suitable (or not the optimum) for the lubrication of IC engines, and their use is limited to heavy duty gear lubrication? Is it related to thermal stability, could it be cost, or another reason?

I don't think anyone stated these base oils were not suited for IC engines.

Right now, the cost is a factor and their immediate application was for wind turbines and industrial gear boxes where downtime is a major cost factor for the owners/operators.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back