SuperTech brake fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a quart of the stuff for a system flush on a 1983 Toyota Cressida, will it work fine, provided i flush it out in a year?

As long as you don't leave it in too long or driving down mountains often
grin.gif
you'll be fine. I (he says shamefully) recently change out the factory brake fluid on my 1996 Contour, purchased in December 1995
shocked.gif
. Needless to say the fluid was nasty. I used Coastal brand. I'm planning on changing it at the max every 2 years. It stops the vehicles fine. All brake fluids have to meet at least minimum specs for their grade. And if you don't stress the fluid too much you'll be fine.

Whimsey

I have used the Supertech (Canadian Walmart) brake fluid for 2.5 years in my cavalier now.

It meets DOT 3 specs for a brake fluid and looks like it comes from the same maker as STP brake fluid that is sold here.

As long as you minimize the exposure to air (keep it capped) it should stay a nice straw colour indicating that the fluid id 'dry' or free of moisture. When brake fuid darkens or browns, then it is time to go.

Different DOT ratings have different dry/wet boil points.
DOT4 has a higher boiling temperature.
Some racing fluids have bigher boil points, but keep in mind that the higher dry boiling points that the brake fluid has, the easier that it absorbs water. Iwouldnt change types.

Dot 5 is silicone based, and does not absorb water... but not compatable to DOT3, or DOT4.
DOT 5 fluids need different care.

DOT 3 and 4 are completely compatible. The SuperTech should be fine, though I prefer to spend a bit more and get the Valvoline Synpower, which is the most highly rated, readily available fluid, and is not as hygroscopic as some of the others.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
Do not confuse changing brake fluid with maintaining your brakes.

i'm changing the pad and hardware, with new OEM Toyota parts, my dad bought $15 Pep Boys specials, and now the rotors are warped...
pat.gif

Personally, i prefer to use German brake fluidd from ATE or Pentosin, but this car is quite old...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back