2007.5 Duramax 74k mile oil change Schaeffer's 5-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I forgot to add this when the sample came back. I did do an oil change. 2 gallons of the oil I put strait into clean jugs with the fumoto valve and a hose and havent taken them off to the parts store for disposal. I was actually considering running it in my tracker that leaks oil to use as top up oil
grin.gif
but I was unsure if wierd chemistry would take place and make me regret that decision.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I did go back with the same oil as before. I want to take a sample of it pretty early on just to get data from 5-7k miles but I now know I can wait for a very extended amount of time without any worry with using this brand of oil which is great. Knowing that all I have to do is maintain the oil level and change the filter every 20k is worth the added price of oil to me personally.

As always, I would like to know if anyone sees something I don't. Or if anything thinks I am stupid for going so long, or changing it so soon or don't like the way I look ect.

Excellent use of a synthetic!
Very consistent Fe wear; always around .7 to .8 ppm/1k miles. That's great! The other wear metals are so low they are not worth noting.
Contamination is freakishly low.

Running a bypass or is this heresy pure full-flow?

I am not exaggerating here; 100k mile OCI is not out of reach by any stretch of the imagination, assuming this new load of lube runs as well as the last sump.

This was just using full flow filters. I use wix, baldwin, mobil 1 depending on what deal I can get and it was changed a couple times, (not sure exactly how many times without looking at my notes)

Let me get this straight.... you went 70k miles on one OCI of oil without the use of bypass filtration on a passenger LD truck? But you were adding 3-4 quarts of makeup oil about every 10k miles? Am I reading this correctly?

Its oil consumption rate was a little less than 1qt every 4k miles but with 10-15k mile filter changes i averaged a little over 1qt every 4k miles. After changing the thermostats that didnt want to get hot enough the oil consumption seemed to go down and I expect to see that on this next oci. I am curious if the oil will stay looking good or degrade faster with less makeup going in.

Any chance you'll start tracking engine hours on the oil? Knowing how much fuel was burned would be cool too.
I'm using the MileageKeeper app on my iphone to track fuel usage on my 2017 L5P.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 4x4le
Its oil consumption rate was a little less than 1qt every 4k miles but with 10-15k mile filter changes i averaged a little over 1qt every 4k miles. After changing the thermostats that didnt want to get hot enough the oil consumption seemed to go down and I expect to see that on this next oci. I am curious if the oil will stay looking good or degrade faster with less makeup going in.

With that sort of usage, perhaps a Fram Ultra would be a good choice (if available for you) since they are rated for 20,000 miles....it would cut down on both the number of filter changes as well as the amount of additional oil to add.

My hrs have been reset at some point somehow unless my average speed is 70mph. I dint know if it was when it was tuned but either way i dont want to start tracking that and have my data mean nothing one day when it resets again.

I won't use fram. Perhaps that particular filter is good but I steer clear from that brand as a rule. I just got a good deal on 3 baldwin b1441 filters so that will keep me in good shape for close to 50k miles or so. I usually just buy a decent filter when I see a good deal and put it on the shelf and run them for 15-20k miles.

I agree the wear rate is good but because about 1.5 sumps of oil has been added gradually over 75kmi to replace the burned oil the actual Fe rate would be 1.5-2 ppm/1000mi. Situation very similar to my Unimog which has burned 1L/2500mi out of a 29.6L sump since new. 1.5-2/1000mi is more in line with other Duramax UOAs.

Last edited:
Well for people wanting to know about fuel used I think 17mpg would get everyone close enough. That is my normal average. There is sometimes i tow or haul and it gets worse, but there are times I take a trip and get 20 and they probably cancel each other out.

Originally Posted by 4x4le

As always, I would like to know if anyone sees something I don't. Or if anything thinks I am stupid for going so long, or changing it so soon or don't like the way I look ect.

LOL!!!!!! You do look a little bit goofy. Comb your hair, pull up your pants and tie your shoes!

On a serious note, i think you're doing just fine with your truck. If conditions and usage remain the same, it seems that you could continue what you've been doing. Lead was creeping up, probably from the increasing acids corroding the bearings. Just something to watch as you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back