How do you save half open package of guac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It turns brown after a day or two exposed to air. I usually fill the empty part of the package with water but it makes part of the guac mushy. Any better suggestions?

Press Saran Wrap down on top of it so it creates an airless film on top of the guacamole. Then put the lid on as normal. No oxidation of the top layer that way.

Eat it up now!
banana2.gif

Originally Posted by tcp71
Press Saran Wrap down on top of it so it creates an airless film on top of the guacamole. Then put the lid on as normal. No oxidation of the top layer that way.

Before learning the water trick, I did that but never could get it totally airless. Got maybe an extra day or two out of it.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Eat it up now!
banana2.gif

When the Wholly Guacamole single serve packs are on sale I get those and its no problem. Regular packs are too big for that.

This has worked for me, although I rarely have any left over.

Originally Posted by atikovi

Before learning the water trick, I did that but never could get it totally airless. Got maybe an extra day or two out of it.

Eat it up now!
banana2.gif

When the Wholly Guacamole single serve packs are on sale I get those and its no problem. Regular packs are too big for that.

If you press the saran wrap flush against the guac it will keep. Maybe try a spritz of lime juice on top followed by the saran wrap?

Lemon juice usually does the trick for me to save it for another day. I stopped making it at home a few weeks back and switched to the single serve packs from Costco, lot more plastic to recycle but the convenience is worth it.

Agree- this is what my wife does for her home-made quac.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Make sure you have enough chips next time
wink.gif

You sir, are an evil man. Perhaps he is trying to keep his youthful, girlish figure?

Originally Posted by Oro_O
Originally Posted by 4WD
wink.gif

You sir, are an evil man. Perhaps he is trying to keep his youthful, girlish figure?

Ok, make sure you have enough lettuce next time
wink.gif

Eat it up now!
banana2.gif

Originally Posted by 4WD
wink.gif

+ 3 or +4 ... or just eat it by itself without chips

You can also freeze it. But take up the air gap with saran wrap pressed up against it.

We buy Avacado's, mash them and freeze in a Zip-Lock bag with all the air evacuated. They slightly discolor but are still green in the freezer even after a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back