Fram Ultra with Filter Mag magnet.... 5,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Second run with magnet. 5,000 miles on oil/filter. 110,000 miles on Chrysler Sebring 2.7 motor.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by maxdustington
I was expecting much worse, I thought the 2.7 was the most notorious sludger?

I think when they start leaking coolant into the oil from the genius water pump placement, the sludge starts building.

That was early 2000's models. They did some redesigning of engine and pcv system.

Are you going to extend your filter change interval given it looks perfect? Seems kind of a waste to toss it after 5k.

Originally Posted by czbrian
Are you going to extend your filter change interval given it looks perfect? Seems kind of a waste to toss it after 5k.

I may just go with Tough Guards from now on. I like 5,000 mile changes.

Originally Posted by ZZman

Probably a good call. It is one the reasons I don't use the Ultra, I just can't make myself leave it on long enough to justify the cost.
I think the TG has the filtration of the Ultra, and can easily do 10,000 miles, so 5000 is nothing for it.
After seeing all the TG cut open here and the few I have done, I have no qualms about using them (except for the price is getting close to the Ultra).

I will say that there is not much ferrous material in your engine.
Looks good.

think when they start leaking coolant into the oil from the genius water pump placement, the sludge starts building.
---
that should have been done in pre sale to consumer testing- oh wait - the customer did the testing- how did that work?
off topic I know

Last edited:
Originally Posted by blupupher

Probably a good call. It is one the reasons I don't use the Ultra, I just can't make myself leave it on long enough to justify the cost.

It's an extra $4-5 bucks.....

You can't afford an extra $4-5 to put on better filter on your car for 5k mile OCI's.

Most people on this forum pole vault over mouse turds. Such a decision shouldn't cause anxiety...or even require you to justify spending the extra few dollars.
No one is going to smack you or put you in the corner for running FU's for 5k miles.

I will say that there is not much ferrous material in your engine.
Looks good.

Definitely much less than the first run with the magnet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Is that a tear in the 5th photo?

Looks like something nicked the media.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by StevieC
Is that a tear in the 5th photo?

Looks like something nicked the media.

That was my thought as well.

Originally Posted by ZZman
Originally Posted by czbrian

So, what oil and filter went back in and on? Thanks for c&p also sir
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Phishin

It's an extra $4-5 bucks.....

You can't afford an extra $4-5 to put on better filter on your car for 5k mile OCI's.

Most people on this forum pole vault over mouse turds. Such a decision shouldn't cause anxiety...or even require you to justify spending the extra few dollars.
No one is going to smack you or put you in the corner for running FU's for 5k miles.

But if doing a 5k OCI, what is gained by spending more?
It is not necessarily about the money.
Basically same filtration between a TG and Ultra. There is no reason besides "feel good" that an ultra is "better" than a TG at 5000 mile intervals.
Heck, in reality, a OCOD changed every 5000 miles would not make any difference in the life of the engine compared to an Ultra @ 5000 miles.

The biggest benefit of the Ultra is the longevity of the filter, but not taking advantage of that, it is a waste IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back