Luxury Car Owners Switching to Pickup Trucks

Originally Posted by alcyon
Only In America..

The entirety of Malaysia is smaller than California. You can't fairly compare the two.

"I agree. If you want to live a large lifestyle, I'm not going to judge you, that's your choice. But it's the people who can't afford to do so and do it anyway that I have a major problem with. Or those who do then whine when they know they can't afford it.

And let's be realistic, 4/5 people 'living large' have a very 'large' amount of debt to match. Live within your means is all I'm trying to sa
y."

In my world that is called buttin in. It's none of your business what I drive or anything regarding my financial status.

You have already been told nicely in this thread. Sometimes it is best to just eat the cookie.

Originally Posted by Railrust
Yes let's do the math. You mention supplementing the need for the truck by simply renting one a day or two a month - then you throw out a figure of $20. Twenty dollars is a ninety minute rental, enough to get you to and from the place you rent it from. A full day rental is $100. A two hour rental is $45...not including taxes, fees, gas, or the inconvenience of having someone drop you off and pick you up to get the truck (what do you pay them?). So for arguments sake, let's settle on $150 a month...not $20, not $40, not $250.

$150 a month for a two days a month truck rental.
Absolutely wrong. Allow me to clarify. I said unless you live in a truly 'rugged' area such as "the rural parts of Montana/Colorado/Utah" (where roads often aren't actually roads, therefore certainly commanding an off-road vehicle such as a truck). This calls for a truck as a DD. You can't drive a car on your daily commute here. Now if you live more than 30-45 away from a decent size town, and you even occasionally use a truck for "actual" truck usage, again, I will agree a truck is a necessity. ONE. But my argument was targeted at the people who live within a major city and have a U-Haul, Lowe's, etc. within 5-10 minutes of their house. You should not need a truck for more than an hour in this case. So using my correct argument, it's $40/month. Taxes/fees/gas will be negligible in this case, so let's say $50 total. If you are within town, you shouldn't need anyone to accompany you, as you're returning soon anyway. You'll easily save $50 a month in fuel and other costs by DD'ing a car instead.
Now let's talk about gas mileage. I have the same engine in my 2018 Silverado as your 2008 LS engine with displacement on demand. Now you probably realize the differences in the two engines...it's now direct injected, different heads, different oil pump...different? Yes, but not dramatically different. Mine takes regular fuel. Plain old regular. The compression ratio doesn't require super, the head design doesn't demand it, the aspiration doesn't call for it. It's regular.

Now that's the 5.3 liter engine that's in all of the these half ton trucks driving around on the roads today. I have AVERAGED 24 mpg during the life of the vehicle...on regular with prices between $2.20-$2.65 a gallon during that time. I don't see why you mention Super gasoline, unless your Monte Carlo SS requires it (which GM truck, and that's what we're discussing, doesn't).
Yes, that's what I said. I said "my V8 SS car [Impala]" and based all of those figures on my specific case. I never implied otherwise. I was not in any way saying that's what a normal truck would cost.
21.gif

So if I commute in a Civic and it averages 38 mpg using regular. And my truck averages 24 mpg using regular. Depending on the actual miles I drive PER YEAR....let's say 15,000 miles (about average)...at $2.20 a gallon... I will pay out an additional $506.58 dollars a year in fuel costs. If I bump the gas pricing up to $2.50 a gallon, I will spend an additional $575.66
Correct so far...
So let's say I spend an additional $600 a year on fuel. Now let's factor in the truck rental. Let's go $150 $50 a month for 12 months------$1,800 $600 dollars IF you rent a truck twice a month EVERY month (who does that?).
Railrust said:
Now let's say you change my formula around. Let's say you take away the actual fuel economy I'm getting in my truck and drop it to 20mpg. And let's say you take away half of the truck rental costs...you're still not ahead of the game. But then I'd argue...well if I hadn't had to drive my truck in cold weather 4 months out of the year I'd average better than 24mpg! I would. Right now the weather has finally gone up into the 50's where I am, I'm now averaging 25.7 during my weekly 500 mile commute.
...Irrelevant what-ifs.
You said your Civic averaged 38, but the manufacturer specifies 35. GM states the 2018 5.3 Silverado averages 24, so my intitial estimates were actually more realistic than what your averages predicted.
WRONG, WRONG, AND MORE WRONG. If you're going to make comparisons, don't compare apples to oranges. This is where you must choose AVERAGE or HIGHWAY. Not one of each. Per EPA, the Civic gets 28/39, 32 average. A 5.3L '18 Silverado (depending on setup, trans, etc... we'll use the best case scenario without assuming hybrid) gets 16/23 19average. At your claimed $2.200 per gallon @15k miles/year, comparing averages the truck will use an extra $705.59 in fuel per year. Or if comparing highway the truck will consume an extra $588.63/year. What I supposedly get versus what you supposedly get is irrelevant, we must agree on a common fact. Therefore I used EPA numbers.
Now let's also consider the clientele we are talking about - the people trading in luxury sendans for pickup trucks - which is what the thread was titled. If I commute in a Civic, is that going to be my only vehicle? Is that going to be the car I meet friends out for dinner in? That going to be the car you pull up in to meet clients or drop your kid off (and his friends) at the movies in? Or do you need to buy another car for that? Because that will obviously add to the cost. Greatly.
I have no idea where you're going with that. What I consider an impressionable car is going to be different from your definition. I'm not out to impress anyone. I could care less. I'd rather impress someone via treating them to something with the money I saved on fuel instead of pulling up in a vehicle I can't afford. Regardless, it's irrelevant.

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by tony1679
If you need a truck (for actual truck usage) even as frequently as twice a month, you're far better off renting one from Lowe's or U-Haul for $20 each time. You'll easily spend an extra $40 a month in fuel, not to mention upkeep and the initial higher cost of a truck if daily driven.

Let's see, it's about 30 miles each way to Lowe's for me. So that is what, 3 gallons of gas in just getting the truck and returning it? That's not too bad I guess.

I put snow tires onto my truck as it's absolutely horrible in snow otherwise. But then I run all seasons on my car. If the forecast says snow, I take the truck (or stay home). If the roads are bare I take the car. When the car is broken I drive the truck. Family trips are usually in our car but big trips tend to be in the truck as it simply has a larger trunk.

And this makes perfect sense. Having a truck as a backup/special use. A.k.a. similar to a farm truck. No arguments here.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I also live in a suburban area, but I'm not going to rent some pile from U-Haul to drag around my 4-wheeler, which could be several times a month.
Agreed. You have an actual need for a truck.

I also live in a suburban area, but I'm not going to rent some pile from U-Haul to drag around my 4-wheeler, which could be several times a month.

So what? I have an actual need for a truck also. But there is this thing called freedom. People can buy what they like, what they enjoy as a pursuit of happiness. Be it a truck , boat or a prius. I think you can buy what you like, just because you want it. And you don't have to justify it to anyone else. That might not be so in communist countries.

Originally Posted by PimTac
"I agree. If you want to live a large lifestyle, I'm not going to judge you, that's your choice. But it's the people who can't afford to do so and do it anyway that I have a major problem with. Or those who do then whine when they know they can't afford it.

And let's be realistic, 4/5 people 'living large' have a very 'large' amount of debt to match. Live within your means is all I'm trying to sa
y."

In my world that is called buttin in. It's none of your business what I drive or anything regarding my financial status.

You have already been told nicely in this thread. Sometimes it is best to just eat the cookie.

Since you're avidly defending this, while I agree with the 'I can do what I want' mentality, it becomes a problem when you financially can't afford to anymore. Usually that means you're filing for bankruptcy. Which means a lawyer will say most of your debt is forgiven. But that means those companies you promised money to will now not get it. Guess who pays for that? Everyone. Taxpayers. Me. That's when I have a problem.

Again, if you can actually afford to buy a luxury truck, I am NOT at liberty to judge, nor will I. It's those who can't afford them and buy them for stupid reasons that I'm annoyed with. Make sense?

Originally Posted by spasm3

So what? I have an actual need for a truck also. But there is this thing called freedom. People can buy what they like, what they enjoy as a pursuit of happiness. Be it a truck , boat or a prius. I think you can buy what you like, just because you want it. And you don't have to justify it to anyone else. That might not be so in communist countries.

I can't seem to get my real point across without 'Merica and freedom coming out calling me a communist.
21.gif
For the (6th?) time, I'm only trying to call out those who cannot afford these luxuries and buy them anyway. Which is realistically 4/5 people driving said vehicles. I can't make it any more clear...

Major....major- truck envy on this site.........

After all THIS IS BITOG! WHERE OLD CARS COME TO DIE!!!!

BTW-Here's mine (2018 LTZ-Crew Car-4WD)

thumbnail.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN

After all THIS IS BITOG! WHERE OLD CARS COME TO DIE!!!!

This is a maintenance/repair site. What's wrong with people taking care of older vehicles?

For the (6th?) time, I'm only trying to call out those who cannot afford these luxuries and buy them anyway. Which is realistically 4/5 people driving said vehicles. I can't make it any more clear...

I'd love to see the data showing 4/5 truck owners can't afford them. You know they repossess trucks if you can't pay for them.

Last edited:
Guess who pays for that? Everyone. Taxpayers. Me. That's when I have a problem.

People buying all that crap they don't need powers OUR economy, I've made several years salaries off building, modifying, repairing & maintaining people's toys.

What do you do for a living? Are you SURE your standard of living would improve if everyone in America decided to stop spending money on frivolous [censored]?

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Only In America..

The entirety of Malaysia is smaller than California. You can't fairly compare the two.

Not Just Malaysia, but the rest of the world. A lot of people here earn far too less to afford pickups. In this region kei cars or low cost MPVs sell really well. In Europe pickup trucks aren't considered as a mainstream choice.
By the way, I don't mean what I said as a bad thing.

Last edited:
Only In America..

Not Just Malaysia, but the rest of the world. A lot of people here earn far too less to afford pickups. In this region kei cars or low cost MPVs sell really well. In Europe pickup trucks aren't considered as a mainstream choice.
By the way, I don't mean what I said as a bad thing.

I didn't mean for mine to come off snippy like it does when I re-read it now... I apologize. I read some comments on various car sites and anytime there's a big American car or truck there is inevitably comments bashing them for being "big and heavy" or whatnot. I thought that's what you were hinting at.

But I think our love of bigger vehicles comes partly from our relatively lax taxing surrounding vehicles, coupled with cheap gas. I remember when it hit $4+ a gallon (3.785 liters) and people were freaking out. But for now, gas is cheap and painful memories of high gas prices are easily forgotten, till the next time.

I read some comments on various car sites and anytime there's a big American car or truck there is inevitably comments bashing them for being "big and heavy" or whatnot. I thought that's what you were hinting at.

Nah, I actually love American coupes. In fact I would have owned a 3rd gen trans am if not for the exhorbitant road tax rates based on engine size over here. So that's why i went for a twin turbo 2L Japanese 80s coupe.

Last edited:

Nah, I actually love American coupes. In fact I would have owned a 3rd gen trans am if not for the exhorbitant road tax rates based on engine size over here. So that's why i went for a twin turbo 2L Japanese 80s coupe.

Aaahhhh the good old screaming chicken! One of the cooler designs ever IMO. Twin turbo though, got yourself a little rocket!

Depending on the state here, some are flat fees yearly while others based on what you paid or MSRP of the vehicle, it's all over the place lol

Originally Posted by Cujet
Originally Posted by CT8
Those evil pick ups.People shouldn't ought to have them.

Hahahahaha I have 3 F150's.

Before I get slammed for driving a pickup truck or 3, "solo". I carry things, big aircraft things, and tow things.

Actually this thread is about luxury buyers turning in their luxury sedans for luxury pickups. It's not about pickup owners in general.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by Cujet
Originally Posted by CT8
Those evil pick ups.People shouldn't ought to have them.

Hahahahaha I have 3 F150's.

Before I get slammed for driving a pickup truck or 3, "solo". I carry things, big aircraft things, and tow things.

Actually this thread is about luxury buyers turning in their luxury sedans for luxury pickups. It's not about pickup owners in general.

Good point … having a mid level Tahoe and mid level Z71 … the SUV is certainly more on the fancy side …

To me, all vehicles are so much better equipped than 10 years back …

I'd love to see the data showing 4/5 truck owners can't afford them. You know they repossess trucks if you can't pay for them.

You'll have to define what "afford" means. For some that means can tote the note, for others it means if you can't pay cash while maxing out your 401k then you can't afford it. And for most it's someplace between.

Meanwhile I just bricked my car while removing the radiator so my spare vehicle is going to be used to run to the store to get parts. Egads.

Originally Posted by supton

You'll have to define what "afford" means. For some that means can tote the note, for others it means if you can't pay cash while maxing out your 401k then you can't afford it. And for most it's someplace between.

Meanwhile I just bricked my car while removing the radiator so my spare vehicle is going to be used to run to the store to get parts. Egads.

I think it's fair to say that alot of people have houses , cars , vacations their whole life style they truly can't afford . When statistics say that the average family has $20,000 in credit card debt and has only $1,500 in the bank can only go one week without a paycheck before their belly up their living beyond their means .

Back