Food bank keeps asking me to donate

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I donated some money like 3 years ago to a food bank. Ever since then, they probably spent all of it on letters they sent me asking me to donate more money. Letter after letter, I receive.

To the point I think it's a scam. How likely is it a scam?

About 80% of the country is living pay check to pay check, so there is need out there. But I just get this vague feeling that something is wrong here.

Probably not a scam, they just put you on their Contributor List. Tell Them Do Not Call, do not mail, take you off their list. Escalate to a manager there if they keep doing it.

Last edited:
People living paycheck to paycheck does not necessarily equate to people needing to get food at the food bank. A lot of this is people who are chasing vanity and spending money to "look rich".

I'm gonna contact the local police and ask them to go see what's up. Maybe the local news. Something just doesn't add up.

Originally Posted by BossMoss
I'm gonna contact the local police and ask them to go see what's up. Maybe the local news. Something just doesn't add up.

Yeah, get on that.

If it's a charity, you are dealing with people looking to put more money in their pockets.

The more money they are managing, the more it is "appropriate" for them to be paid.

What's worse is that the more money they keep inside of the charity and out of the mouths of the poor, the more they get paid too.

They'd love to have more of yours.

Don't they have EBT/SNAP? Last time I looked at the benefit levels from those programs, it didn't seem like much of an issue to buy proper staple foods and prepare reasonably nutritious meals from such. I personally don't buy snack or pre-prepared foods and quite easily live on less of a monthly food ration than I could buy at a low-cost retailer on SNAP/EBT benefit levels. So what's the need for "food banks", other than to provide food to those who are not legally eligible for EBT/SNAP, ie: illegal immigrants.

Yeah. They send me pics of little kids who supposedly need food. Guilt tripping me. This doesn't make sense.

I'm for helping others, but in this narrow case, it's too fishy.

One of the main reasons I believe why pitchforks don't come out is bc the at least food needs are met by ppl at the bottom. I forgot the exact number but like 50 mill Americans qualify for it.

There shouldn't be food banks at all. It's not exactly an ultra generous amount but an adequate amount food stamps cover.

My favourite charity routine was when I worked at Target. Not exactly high paying. One day the manager asks everyone to donate a monthly amount to the United Way.

I'm standing there thinking, "what a whack company. This is California. Ppl working here can barely afford rent. We aren't living the high life ourselves, but you're trying to make us give to charity." I gave $5 and she looked surprised that I didn't sign up for a monthly donation.

Yes i hate when work asks people for charity and I hear top management say well everyone in here should donate a bike to toys for tots. Why so the managers can pat themselves on the back and say look what we did. I donate to what I choose not what they choose and really a brand new bike is a pretty decent amount to ask for.

Originally Posted by BossMoss
Yeah. They send me pics of little kids who supposedly need food. Guilt tripping me. This doesn't make sense.

I'm for helping others, but in this narrow case, it's too fishy.

One of the main reasons I believe why pitchforks don't come out is bc the at least food needs are met by ppl at the bottom. I forgot the exact number but like 50 mill Americans qualify for it.

There shouldn't be food banks at all. It's not exactly an ultra generous amount but an adequate amount food stamps cover.

My favourite charity routine was when I worked at Target. Not exactly high paying. One day the manager asks everyone to donate a monthly amount to the United Way.

I'm standing there thinking, "what a whack company. This is California. Ppl working here can barely afford rent. We aren't living the high life ourselves, but you're trying to make us give to charity." I gave $5 and she looked surprised that I didn't sign up for a monthly donation.

I remember that coerced guilt trip when I worked for a little above minimum wage in college. Like we were just working for free? Had the manager sit up there telling us that we had to donate to United Way because corporate HQ decided that's who $$$ should be given to. One employee (big store meeting, everyone there) spoke up and said "hey, my uncle is a lawyer and you can't force us to do anything.. maybe I should give him a call".. They NEVER mentioned it again! Crazy, how that works isn't it?

I laugh when I heard the CEO of Salvation army was making like 1 million in salary. Oh but please give more.. yeah, give your salary up if you really cared for your cause.

And bossmoss, if you feel odd about it, then it's not being uncharitable, it's being honest. If it feels like a scam, probably is.

I've started to give to my local mission instead of these big so-called charities. I'll never forget the story about how Goodwill was caught paying their employees less money because someone leaked an email that said they thought of them as "less human" due to their handicap. Wow, just wow..

so maybe you could find a mission around your area to donate? I do it because I know it's going to the people who need it the most, and for me, I wasn't using it anymore.. Like clothes, shoes, etc.

Originally Posted by researcher
BossMoss said:
I laugh when I heard the CEO of Salvation army was making like 1 million in salary. Oh but please give more.. yeah, give your salary up if you really cared for your cause.

Wrong. The last reported compensation figures for the head of the Salvation Army was $126,920. From Snopes: "according to the Better Business Bureau (BBB), (Salvation Army Commander) William A. Roberts' last reported total annual compensation was $126,920"

Change your quote from Salvation Army to Red Cross and you will be correct. From Snopes: "The current President and CEO of the American Red Cross (since 2008) is Gail J. McGovern, whose total yearly compensation for 2010 was about $1,037,000 "

Most likely, NOT a scam.
Money taken in, minus expenses, equals profit.

Most Charities will collect money thru a Fund Raising Service.
The Fund Raising Service will keep (up to) 80% of the money collected.
The rest of the money is handed to the Charity.
The next time one calls you on the phone, ask them, "how much actually goes to the Charity ?"

I would try to get my name off their mailing list because, as a last resort, the Charity will sell your Name/Address to other Charities.
That is unless you make big donations, then they want you all to themselves.

The Norman Rockwell days are gone.

I receive this stuff in the mail all the time. Its why I have a shredder.

Originally Posted by jhs914
Originally Posted by researcher
BossMoss said:

Wrong. The last reported compensation figures for the head of the Salvation Army was $126,920. From Snopes: "according to the Better Business Bureau (BBB), (Salvation Army Commander) William A. Roberts' last reported total annual compensation was $126,920"

Change your quote from Salvation Army to Red Cross and you will be correct. From Snopes: "The current President and CEO of the American Red Cross (since 2008) is Gail J. McGovern, whose total yearly compensation for 2010 was about $1,037,000 "

Thanks for correcting me! I tried to edit my original post but the edit button is gone! So yeah it was a charity, red cross.. and yes it was a woman from what I remember. Again, thanks for clearing that up!
cheers3.gif

Donate at your Church . After that , what is done with it is inGod's hands .

Is some one approaches me in a parking lot asking for gas money or food money , I usually give them a small amount .

Scam ? Possibly / probably . But if it is , again , it is in God's hands yo keep things " right " .

I do a lot of work with non-profits and charities. Here are a few thoughts to consider:

1) They are all run, of course, by people. These people could make a much better living doing something else; but choose community service instead.
2) Their pay is *always* in doubt. Funding could run out any given quarter, or at the election of any new given government. Executive Directors are always trying to do something with too little.
3) Their calling is to help others. When it is reported that "X%" of all donations go to the staff of the charity, I think a lot of folks do not realize that it is the STAFF of the charity that does all of the good. Simply re-allocating handouts only create cultures of dependence. We need people doing things to help, not handouts.
4) Absolutely no one who works in a non-profit or charity enjoys fundraising. It stinks and it takes away from their time and effort doing what they see as needing to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back