Replacing lawn tractor tires - not fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two riding mowers and both of them struggle with traction getting up and down some hills I have that need mowing. One of the mowers has leaking tires, so I figured I'd replace them all and put some ag tires in the back and use that mower primarily for the hilly areas. For most of my property, if the tires are hard on the grass it doesn't matter-- it just needs cut, doesn't have to look good.

I've unmounted/mounted mower tires enough times that I have the process down pretty pat. But getting one of the old front tires off really kicked my butt. The first one came off with a reasonable amount of frustration (in my experience the small front tires are more difficult) but the second one just would. not. budge. I tried everything I could think of, but one side of the bead was just welded on there. I finally resorted to taking a jigsaw and cutting most of the tire off, leaving just a strip along the bead. Figured that would free it up some, but it didn't. In fact it probably made it more difficult as I had nothing to get a hold of with tools or a clamp or something to pry it away. I finally resorted to taking a dremel with a diamond bit and literally cutting the bead of the tire in half--- which was like doing brain surgery because you have to be extremely careful not to touch the mating surface of the rim, and you have to get deep into the bead to cut all the metal cords. I finally succeeded without mucking things up, some marring of the paint (which usually happens no matter what method I use to get the tire off) but otherwise the sealing surface is undisturbed. Took about three hours longer than I thought it would!

Anyone have any useful tips or tricks for doing this? Or is there a tool available that will work on a small mower rim? I've watched all the Youtube videos and as I mentioned, I've been pretty successful replacing these tires in the past, just wondering if there's some magic trick or tool I can buy that will make this much easier. Other than buying a new rim with tire already mounted, which isn't an option for this particular mower.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Those look like atv tires. Not worth doing your self. Spend the $20 at a local tire store and have them mount them. In the past we have put wood blocks on the sidewall and ran them over with a motorhome to try to break the heads.

I have AGtires on both my ZTR and a lawn tractor I have. You get stuck less but when it's stuck....IT'S STUCK GOOD. My yard stays wet and it the best thing I've done to my mowers. I tried all-trail tires from Carlisle but they were much narrower than the factory tires of the same size and gum up quick in soft ground.

Last time I tried mounting mower tires at home I was using tire tools and crow bars as tire spoons. One got in a bind and sprung out and popped me in the forehead leaving a gash. I told my co-workers my wife hit me.

I have two methods: the first is just take it to either a tire store or a small engine place that has a tire machine. Second method is to buy new wheels with tires already mounted. If you shop around and are willing to go with aftermarket wheels and tires, then they are not that expensive: 2 new front wheels and tires WITH bearings for my JD 22 hp 48" mower were $76 with free shipping. If you already have bearings or bushings then its about $60. My feeling was that swapping out front tires would be a pain for me as I did not have any tire equipment, so I did not even try given the headaches reported by others. Just my 2 pesos.

I have changed many large and the smaller (PITA)ones. I use a short piece of 2x4 with the edge on the sidewall. I raise one of my car or truck's wheel off the ground, slide the other edge of the 2x4 under the vehicle's tire and slowly let it down. It always pops the bead loose. I recently changed out two older ones from my 1972 rider without any problems.

Last edited:
I tried changing my lawn tractor tires myself a few years ago. Ended up taking them to the local tire shop and for 16 bucks they changed them out. Money well spent.

My tip is to carry the tires and wheels to a tire shop and let them do it.

I bought the Kenda Scorpion and took them to Discount Tire to get them replaced. Too much trouble to DIY.

Originally Posted by Chris142
...Not worth doing your self. Spend the $20 at a local tire store and have them mount them.....
This. I just take em to local tire shop. Let them deal with any hassle.

I do my own since they dont appreciate 25 year old tires full of tire goo.

Need the goo for all the thorns.

I've used a farm jack to knock beads loose before. Just jamb the foot plate into the bead as deep as it'll go and pick something up with the jack, I usually use my Jeep.

You did good 92! That new rubber looks nice! Carefully buzzing through the stuck bead with a dremel is a good idea IMO.

The only time I ever 're-tired' a riding mower was on our JDs and I had the JD dealer do it because there's where I bought the tires.

I do know from having owned ATVs and whatnot, breaking those tires down can be a dreadful task. As can getting the beads to seat.

I've tubed all 4 now on my mower, rear tires alone are silly expensive here and a set of 4 tires on rims would cost more than I paid for the mower! Get good tubes though, I have replaced a rear chinesium tube after a single season... To pop the bead usually I stand on the tire and place a chunk of scrap wood on the bead and hit that with a 3lb hammer. I use my dirt bike tire irons and a long screw driver through the middle of the rim to get the tires on and off. I watch a clip of how a manual tire changer works, then I can figure out how to setup the screw driver and irons to get the tires on and off relatively easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back