Mental Midgets dreaming of increasing registration fees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a question but why is there a rather large bandwagon of folks that just get happily excited at raising registration fees on vehicles and how a $400 a year increase is fair?

There is no arguing with them, and there is minimal opposition to their points from well anyone.
they seem fully justified in believing that everything from a moped to a 10,000lb truck needs to pay this fee as well or that the very high fee needs to be mileage based and equal.

I ask this because there are 2 other forums with folks joyfully discussing how to raise registration fees on vehicles little realizing that it won't end there if people like paying the tax.

There was already a road ideot in this state talking about how every car needs to pay $3500 a year for roads

I find this gleeful discussion of waste nauseating and am uncertain why it has such heavy support, I certainly don't think a little tinker toy should pay the same tax nearly equal to its value as a big vehicle and can't comprehend why people enjoy creating horrible taxes. I certainly see nothing fair about any of the proposals.

And this was no liberal set of individuals,

Apparently the republican senate wants to disband road tax and convert to a high fixed annual road tax as well. It's like people don't understand math or something

Even though fees are the least efficient way of taxing (half is lost) and road tax is a modern miracle over 99% efficiency .

States that have tested completely eliminating annual plates/fees and making them permenent then dumping the funding lost onto the gas tax have found tremendous savings while charging the same tax, not sure why we want to do the opposite.

I just feel very disappointed with humanity and if I get sattled with $3500 a year I would likely consider what the fine for non compliance is, heck $400 is even tempting
frown.gif

Last edited:
I have a prius and an F150. Both are registered. The F150 is heavier and does more damage and uses more gas. I'm happy paying an appropriate gas tax vs having high standing fees.

Notably, if they added up everything I paid, they'd still need to rob the general fund to pay for roads. It is what it is.

I would be quite rip [censored] if my Prius plates started costing $4k a year, the same as a Denali.

I suppose it might be predictable that many owners of my gas-sipping model didn't vote for the guys coming up with this idea.

Originally Posted by eljefino
I have a prius and an F150. Both are registered.
I suppose it might be predictable that many owners of my gas-sipping model didn't vote for the guys coming up with this idea.

The Prius guys are one of the forums fully in support of high fees, I really can't comprehend what goes on in their heads

Unfortunately roads are crumbling and need fixing. Money needs to be raised somehow. We must stop kicking the xan down the road.

Here they are talking a huge increase in fuel taxes. I would prefer an increase in sales tax.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
I have a prius and an F150. Both are registered.

The Prius guys are one of the forums fully in support of high fees, I really can't comprehend what goes on in their heads

Eventually us second hand owners are going to take over. We just like cheap stuff.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by ZZman
Unfortunately roads are crumbling and need fixing. Money needs to be raised somehow. We must stop kicking the xan down the road.

Here they are talking a huge increase in fuel taxes. I would prefer an increase in sales tax.

A high fixed annual fee of $3500 for everyone is certainly not the answer either, a lot of folks wouldn't pay or wouldn't have a vehicle. Heck they are even wanting to tax bicycles, might as well beat up bums for shopping carts

And the roads here are no better or worse than they ever were, when large stipends of cash went to roads (it was doubled one year)
no measurable effect occurred as the money for the roads went elsewhere ,

Last edited:
Just paid the fees on the wifes 1 yr old caddy. ~$2100 for 2 yrs. Connect the dots kids ...If you can afford something really nice you should subject yourself to a progressive fee to be allowed to do so.

Originally Posted by Kawiguy454
Just paid the fees on the wifes 1 yr old caddy. ~$2100 for 2 yrs. Connect the dots kids ...If you can afford something really nice you should subject yourself to a progressive fee to be allowed to do so.

How much for the $900 beater?

Originally Posted by Kawiguy454

That's the one Arizona tax that is pretty high. My understanding is it's based on the MSRP of the base model of your vehicle and goes down about 16% every year after that. When I bought my 2015 Murano in 2016 the first year taxes were over $500.

The problem is the crooked swines never use it for what they claim, its always some other project they without a doubt get a kickback from.

It's over $10,000 to register a car in Shanghai. That might be a one time purchase and a better deal than what some of you are reporting. It's about $48 annually for registration in NJ.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
.....a rather large bandwagon of folks that just get happily excited at raising registration fees.....

......they seem fully justified in believing that everything from a moped to a 10,000lb truck needs to pay this fee.....

...there are 2 other forums with folks joyfully discussing how to raise registration fees on vehicles......

....There was already a road ideot in this state talking about how every car needs to pay $3500 a year for roads.....

.....I find this gleeful discussion of waste nauseating and am uncertain why it has such heavy support.....

......Even though fees are the least efficient way of taxing (half is lost) and road tax is a modern miracle over 99% efficiency......

......I just feel very disappointed with humanity and if I get sattled with $3500 a year I would likely consider what the fine for non compliance is, heck $400 is even tempting
frown.gif

So I've taken a few excerpts from your initial post.
I tried to represent your statements in the manner you posted them.
You certainly characterize people with differing opinions in a poor light.

And you also characterize your 'modern miracle' solution as self evident in it's construction.

One of the challenges in today's society is our inability to participate in constructive conversation with those we disagree with.

Maybe a good faith effort to understand where others are coming from would help you find a common middle ground???

I would also ask that you provide some more background as to how you arrived at your perspective.

Thanks!!!
cheers3.gif

Unfortunately roads are crumbling and need fixing. Money needs to be raised somehow. .

Plenty of money is raised for road repairs. Most of it is misappropriated into other funds or politicians pockets.

Here in Illinois the politicians "borrow" from the road tax fund all the time. I've never heard of them paying it back either. Normal business for politicians, bait and switch.

Per my above link, California funds 23% of their roads by gas tax & user fees; Illinois 27%. The rest comes from the general fund.

IDK how they can embezzle what's a deficit to begin with.

Here in OH the new governor (Republican Mike DeWine) just pushed a pretty big gas tax increase through the statehouse, including a 19 cent/gallon diesel tax, on top of the 28 cent/gallon one we already had-which was already higher than KY's 23 cents. And their roads are much better than ours!

Don't be fooled. We built all of this infrastructure on far less funds than collected today, yet we can't maintain what we've built with what's collected now....

That alone speaks volumes.

Per my above link, California funds 23% of their roads by gas tax & user fees; Illinois 27%. The rest comes from the general fund.

IDK how they can embezzle what's a deficit to begin with.

It's funny you state this with California's budget office clearly stating only 59% of it's gas tax revenue is being used for roadway and public transportation and the other 41% is used to finance other departments. Thus there is contradictory information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back