Test Drove a '19 Crosstrek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

I will be giving m y '16 Spark to my grandson who is a new Marine. He is a great kid.

That will be possibly in 6 months or so. I was pretty sure we would get the Crosstrek for our second vehicle.

Impressions:
Very good handling. I suppose if it was our primary vehicle I could nitpick, but honestly it did everything that a smaller vehicle is expected to do. But itg does not really feel small and like I said you sit up high and Visibility everywhere is great. And the crash avoidance/eyesight is very good. Wife still prefers her '18 Forester with more bells and whistles.

I have a buddy that bought a new 2018 Crosstrek. He likes everything about except the lack of power. I've driven it and it's okay if you drive normal. He reports good highway fuel economy on trips.

my sisters 18 impreza a lower crosstrek is quite doggy IMO + i would not even consider any CVT but thats me. a similar VW with 6 yr 60 thou bumper to bumper warranty + a conventional automatic would be a better choice IMO. good luck on whatever you buy, there are a lot of subies in Pa sucked in by AWD but 4 snow tyres on a FWD can go better, stop better + require less upkeep + mpg penalty.

I'm considering getting one for my next car. Other than the lack of power, I like everything about it. Great value. I'd get the CVT version with X-Mode.

Originally Posted by Al
He is a great kid

You sure about that?

My parents said the same thing when purchasing the first car for my nephew when he got his license (straight A's and everything).
Fast forward a year or so and he was kicked out of school 3 months b4 grad for selling dope to fellow students.
He just turned 26 and is still living in their basement.

...true story.

i went with my cousin to buy a 2019 crosstrek for his daughter. it was limited model as he wanted the safety features of the eyesight. its a pretty nice car . the interior is nice . He got it for 26k on a 29400 msrp. i was surprised at how much he got off as subarus sell like crazy in this area

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by Al
He is a great kid

You sure about that?

Yea I know what you mean. He truly is special. Always been my favorite. Takes a bit of inner stuff to become a Marine. Sorry about your nephew.
frown.gif

He got it for 26k on a 29400 msrp. i was surprised at how much he got off as subarus sell like crazy in this area
They sell like crazy period. That is a great deal for sure!
I got $3600 off my XT Forester. But that had a list of 32K+

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Al
I will be giving m y '16 Spark to my grandson who is a new Marine. He is a great kid.

That will be possibly in 6 months or so. I was pretty sure we would get the Crosstrek for our second vehicle.

Impressions:
Very good handling. I suppose if it was our primary vehicle I could nitpick, but honestly it did everything that a smaller vehicle is expected to do. But itg does not really feel small and like I said you sit up high and Visibility everywhere is great. And the crash avoidance/eyesight is very good. Wife still prefers her '18 Forester with more bells and whistles.

Wife likes her 2016 Crosstrek. No complaints except the mice and one rat like the car also. While it does not have 440 HP like my pickup, it has enough power to drive safely on all roads, maybe even have some fun.

Originally Posted by Miller88
Sideways engine + AWD is never a good long term solution.

Say's who?

Originally Posted by sloinker

Say's who?

It's on the interwebs so it must be true.

So for 30 years or so people have been driving inferior cars? Remind me again when I have to push a rear wheel drive car in the snow.

Originally Posted by sloinker
I would contrast and compare an Alltrack. Much peppier and you can still get it with a manual tranny. 6/72 full warranty and cheaper than the Subaru. The 4Motion is excellent in the snow rivaling the Subaru AWD.
https://www.vw.com/models/golf-alltrack/section/gallery/

AL, has had Subarus for decades.
I don't think he will switch brands.
If he wants, user BOOMER has one as a granma and granpa 's car

AL,
knowing you are a Subaru brand hardcore (for rest who do not know him, he's had decades of service with Subaru)
I would expect you to go to something a bit bigger/Outback?.
But if CrosTreck works for you, go for it!
thumbsup2.gif

The only thing would be: are the chairs comfortable enough for you?
ALso, do you need to go to 2 sets of tire (winter + AS).
I understand a lot of current Subaru owners complain about the OEM factory tires

It depends who builds it.
VW never had any issues with it, also from servicing perspective. Toyota, Honda etc. If there is an issue, it is usually not due to transverse engine+AWD.
Volvo is the one that actually messed that up, but than they put inline 6 in transverse position. That itself begs the question: what were they thinking?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by pandus13

AL, has had Subarus for decades.
I don't think he will switch brands.
If he wants, user BOOMER has one as a granma and granpa 's car

lol..all true.
By coincidence in the middle of posting. My guy called. Bought it over the phone.
White Premium: list $27090. Getting it for $25570.

What he told me. (and feel free to poo-poo) this info: They have no white Premiums coming to the dealership til July. The demand is so high for crosstreks that many never get to the dealer they were originally going to. And I know that bc I bought my Premium XT last year when it was on route to Maryland...lol.

Congrats!

Well, I guess you can call it (her or he) The Radiant Pirate:
-Pirate because you intercept it before getting to destination
-Radiant, hehehehehehe

Originally Posted by john_pifer
Anemic...underpowered...and it has a CVT.

No thanks.

Maybe, but it seems to suit the needs of the OP. Not everybody has to have a rocketship.

Congrats Al on the purchase!

Originally Posted by Delta
Originally Posted by john_pifer
Anemic...underpowered...and it has a CVT.

No thanks.

Maybe, but it seems to suit the needs of the OP. Not everybody has to have a rocketship.

Congrats Al on the purchase!

Yea..if I need a rocket ship I'll drive my XT. Still not sure why the hate for CVT's
Thanks Delta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back