4" grinder . Flap vs solid

Status
Not open for further replies.
been a while since i have bought a grinding wheel for my 4" hand held. So i noticed that there are flap wheels now. reading about them they seem to be better than the old style. So is this true? i use mine mainly for sharpening my lawnmower blade .

stick with a good stone for fine work like sharpening. the flap wheels work well for surface prep like finish removal or smoothing metal/removing scratches.

I sharpen mower blades on the bench grinder if they're chewed up. Sharpening is a less is more thing
grin2.gif

I prefer a flap wheel for sharpening mower blades and most other grinding tasks. If you need something flat with crisp edges then a hard grinding disc works better.

Wow! I can't believe the number of flap disk recommendations for sharpening mower blades. I use a grinding disk on my power hand grinder for sharpening blades. I only use the flap disk for removing rust from equipment. For removing rust, I use a wire brush on a grinder then switch grinders to the flap disk.

I have always used a metal or fast metal wheel on the angle grinder for sharpening mower blades.. usually they are pretty far gone from many hours of nasty field mowing, hitting anthills etc.

How is the flap wheel better?

Last edited:
Tried both and 4in stone is faster esp on bushhog blades. Removing the 22in blade on the mower and draining the oil at the same time works here. Also balancing blades is important.

Flap wheel is for fast sanding things. Stone wheel is for sharpening and grinding tasks. They both have their purposes, get one of each and try it for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back