Improving Windows Update in May

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think I'll stick to If it ain't broke don't fix it. That kept me out of the whole Win10 snafu in the first place. Something something dangling a carrot over people to get them to bite, knowing that giving away Win10 free is necessary and eventually they can de-feature and sell features to make it profitable once everyone is on an all carrot diet.

Windows 7 support ends January 14, 2020.

Best bet is to be on a modern build of Windows 10 (1809) is the latest, boot to Audit mode (CTRL+SHIFT+F3) at the OOBE screen, run a Powershell cleanup script, restart to OOBE mode and use Windows as normal.

This will remove 99.9% of the apps from the OS and leave you with a nice, clean, Windows 7/LTSB style experience.

My laptop is set to a metered connection permanently which stops automatic updates. I don't have the disc space for bloated updates and prefer to re-install windows 10 once a year.

REDHAT-could you elaborate or give us a link to what you're doing to fix 10? Thanks in advance. Wife has 10 and we hate it as is!

Originally Posted by Reddy45
I'll use 7 even if it has massive security flaws. Screw 10.

Windows 10 drove me from pc gaming to Xbox and MacOS. Wish I had kept my windows 7 disk....

27.gif

Last edited:
My work computer started as XP upgraded to win7 then upgraded to win 10 that I have migrated to newer hardware two times and it still works great. Windows 10 is mature, stable and fast. If i could have frozen time it would have been on windows XP as the corporate network fileshares were blazing fast efficiency compared to the newer OS's

If you have any notion that there is corruption in your operating system files run the SFC /SCANNOW utility in a cmd window. This will check for corruption and replace any files that are broken. short of a hosed up registry this is like reinstalling the operating system.

I've finally started rolling out Windows 10 at the office with the impending EOL of Windows 7. It's been a good run and I fully expect teething pains with 10, but what can you do
21.gif

1809 is, thus far, pretty solid.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I've finally started rolling out Windows 10 at the office with the impending EOL of Windows 7. It's been a good run and I fully expect teething pains with 10, but what can you do
21.gif

1809 is, thus far, pretty solid.

Yes it is. We're currently on 1803 and plan to do 1903 once I can see how it is. That every 18mo kinda thing.

Good to be on that now instead of scrambling on Jan 01.

We are 85% Windows 10 shop now with the last 15% PCs that are at their 5 year mark and being replaced.

Originally Posted by rekit
REDHAT-could you elaborate or give us a link to what you're doing to fix 10? Thanks in advance. Wife has 10 and we hate it as is!

When you install Windows 10 fresh, you'll be at the OOBE (out of box experience) screen... the 'setup' wizard if you will. Press CTRL+SHIFT+F3, this will put the system into Audit Mode. It logs the OS in as Administrator and allows you to install applications, drivers, etc.

Run this Powershell script from a Powershell command prompt (look at the arguments to decide what you want to keep or remove):
https://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/4378-windows-10-decrapifier-1803-1809

You will have to temporarily lower your execution policy (set-executionpolicy bypass) to run the script, then after it runs, raise it back (set-executionpolicy restricted). I normally run it (i.e. D:\Cleanup.ps1 -xbox -appsonly). This will keep Xbox gaming components and only remove apps -- I'll run it this way if I want to customize Windows 10 on a PC that I'm selling. For the business world, I'll run it (i.e. D:\Cleanup.ps1) and have it remove all of the apps, opt-out of all of the settings and turn off Mic/Camera/Location unless turned back on manually.

Then I'll click "Restart" on the Sysprep Window and make sure "Enter Out Of Box Experience" is selected. It'll take me back to the original setup screen and then I'll continue with the Windows install.

if i could stop windows 10 from opening or deleting things when it hovers a bit i would be happy. overall i loved windows 7, but my new lappy is of course 10, but i use chrome or firefox.

Originally Posted by Dave9
Think I'll stick to If it ain't broke don't fix it.

+1
Had my win update killed ASAP. Works like a new computer still. Usually any PC I had would be near unusable after a year of upgrades and updates.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
I'll use 7 even if it has massive security flaws. Screw 10.

How many security flaws are left on Windows 7 after a 1000 security updates on it already? I'd like to keep Win 7 much longer too.

Originally Posted by Spartanfool
Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
The May 2019 update will give more control even for Home users plus other nice things.

Improving the Windows 10 update experience with control, quality and transparency

I'm a Windows Insider running the Fast Ring. I have the 1903 version running on my desktop, and other than some occasional video issues (Blue Screen of Death), it seems like a fairly solid build.

I'm running 1903 on a laptop, so far no issues.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

You could really force some teething pains, like what might happen when I get annoyed enough to force my computer idiosyncrasies upon everyone at the office with Linux. EOL of 7 might just be that annoyance.
wink.gif

I have W7 pro at home and we just started using W10 at work. W10 seems to be pretty efficient and have considered upgrading to W10 at home. Not sure if there is a W10 pro to replace W7 pro

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Richie
I have W7 pro at home and we just started using W10 at work. W10 seems to be pretty efficient and have considered upgrading to W10 at home. Not sure if there is a W10 pro to replace W7 pro

Yes, Windows 10 Pro is a direct replacement for Windows 7 Pro. You just download the Download Tool and you can perform an in-place upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back