Low Speed Premature Ignition (LSPI) Better Controlled Now Than Couple Yrs Ago ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As new owner of a small displacement direct injection intercooled turbo motor (GM 1.5) the concept of LSPI is no longer just an interesting discussion point, but rather, an actual concern. Or should it be? Has progress been made in prevention of it, besides just the SN+ and Dexos Gen 2 oil specifications?

Having not had my head into the matter, has there been a problem with all these small GDI turbo'd motors spontaneously grenading due to LSPI events?

There is an old saying that you never hear the bullet that gets you. It will be the same with LSPI.

Worrying about it will have more effect. Millions and millions of people drive these engines every day. Where are all the examples of failures.

You would think if GM developed d1G2 and API their SN+, that the problem would be real. How widespread it is is anyone's guess.

The problem is real, dexos 1 gen 2 is the start of mitigating it not a full solution to the issue.
FWIW Pennzoil platinum 5w30 also meets other specs for small direct injected turbo engines such as jeep ms-13340

Well, maybe it makes a case for subscribing to OnStar for roadside assist, once the free three month trial is over. Engine blows up out in bf egypt, be nice she can just hit that blue button under the rear view mirror.

There was a technical paper about LSPI that claimed it was at that point that maximum efficiency was achieved.....
if the pistons are forged or hypereutectic, they may be up to the abuse & no problemo.....i know the old Ford 1.9L was
known as having that trait & it didn't let loose over 220k+ miles.

Originally Posted by vw7674
There was a technical paper about LSPI that claimed it was at that point that maximum efficiency was achieved.....
if the pistons are forged or hypereutectic, they may be up to the abuse & no problemo.....i know the old Ford 1.9L was

Are you sure you aren't confusing LSPI with detonation/pinging? This is a new problem that specifically pertains to direct-injected forced-induction engines.

No the problem hasn't really changed they have just pushed the problem their engineers should have fixed into their customers laps some thing in the auto industry never change.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by vw7674

Are you sure you aren't confusing LSPI with detonation/pinging? This is a new problem that specifically pertains to direct-injected forced-induction engines.

Yeah, believe it was hard pinging that was considered a non-issue, not 'pre-ignition' but there may be a gray area between the two. With modern chamber
designs & the aluminum material allowing a 1/2 point higher CR, as long as pistons are made of higher quality aluminum alloys the computer should back
down on ignition advance & save the day so to speak. Only several years of real-world use will prove the theory. Haven't heard about tiny turbo motors
blowing up. Yet.

I don't know how much of a problem it really is, I haven't seem widespread issues. Having said that, I'm sure if I google searched I'd find a fair share of problems, then again if I google something I can find a fair share of problems with anything...my fingers are hurting a little bit while typing this, if I google it I'm sure I'll find I have finger cancer.

Manufacturers can negate LSPI a bit by adding fuel, which of course impedes the fuel economy direct injection is supposed to provide, but the manufacturers don't car, you already bought the car and they won't stand behind fuel economy estimations. They can also provide updates which will further effect performance.

Oil is not supposed to be the only answer, only a partial solution in the fuel droplet catergory. Who knows?

I've owned two direct injection cars...one developed oil consumption and hesitation issues. The other does feel like there is some low speed preignition going on when the engine is cold...it's a fish biting feeling/effect...as if a fish is biting on your line. I'm able to snap out of it with more gas or when the engine heats up...is it LSPI? Not sure, but everying^^^ above never happened to me before direct injection. Years from now mechanics are going to tell old wise tales about the early days of direct injection, and how sucky it was. Then they'll all just laugh and laugh.

should have bought a VW no LSPI issues + 6 yr 60 thou bumper to bumper warranty. good luck with that GM, girlfriends Malibu is an oil burner!

Originally Posted by benjy
should have bought a VW no LSPI issues + 6 yr 60 thou bumper to bumper warranty. good luck with that GM, girlfriends Malibu is an oil burner!

Except that VW's look like [censored] in the appearance dept. Honestly, they look like incest in vehicular form.

Most VWs I see smoke thru the tailpipe. Relatively new ones. Plus, I see many on the side of the road awaiting tow trucks also.
No thanks!

Last edited:
Working in a garage for a while has convinced me to never recommend anyone buy a VW or any other German vehicle. Sure there are definitely going to be exceptions to that rule, but they tend to build them in a way non conducive to repair, so they cost a lot when they do need work. My coworker bought a 2013 Audi A4 without asking me my opinion first. He's probably going to ditch it as soon as the extended warranty is up. He's already had it in the shop way more often than his old 2006 Taurus and he's only had it a year. The water pump failed at 30k miles. Never seen that on any Ford or gm when I worked at the dealerships.

Originally Posted by madRiver
The 1.5L was a piston melter is that related?

The OP should buy a Lotto ticket if his engine melts a piston because the odds are in his favor by a very large margin this or any other failure won't happen.

Is this the same engine thats in the Cruze?
My brothers Cruze "cracked" a piston according to the GM tech at 6500 miles. He stressed to make sure my brother uses the oil GM recommends. He said he didnt know what caused it, just that its not the first one he has seen in these engines......lol

Originally Posted by benjy

As much as you shill vw is the best and everything else sucks they should pay you.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Working in a garage for a while has convinced me to never recommend anyone buy a VW or any other German vehicle. Sure there are definitely going to be exceptions to that rule, but they tend to build them in a way non conducive to repair, so they cost a lot when they do need work. My coworker bought a 2013 Audi A4 without asking me my opinion first. He's probably going to ditch it as soon as the extended warranty is up. He's already had it in the shop way more often than his old 2006 Taurus and he's only had it a year. The water pump failed at 30k miles. Never seen that on any Ford or gm when I worked at the dealerships.

I'm not defending VW but by the end of 2013 they got most of the quirks out of these small engines . 2014 on with good maintenance not much goes wrong .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back