Summer gas prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good thing I'll be using less gas with no warm ups in the morning and in general better mpg with warmer weather and summer fuel cause it sounds like gas is going up.

reasons-gas-prices-are-going-up_full_width_4_1200x500_v20190410231620.jpg

Like the sign!! On a serious note, I think with Trump pulling the exemptions on countries to buy Iranian oil, the low Venezualan output and OPES's desire to not pump as much oil, we will easily see $4 a gallon this summer, at least here in PA where the fuel taxes are high. Our 93 octane is already at $3.69/gallon around here.

1.40 a liter in suburbs of montreal, 1.65 or so in BC as high as 1.74 a liter. Not impressed to say the least and I dont even drive much..

Gas always goes up before Memorial Day and the summer season. It might be doing it a bit sooner this year but this should not be shocking to anyone.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
Gas always goes up before Memorial Day and the summer season. It might be doing it a bit sooner this year but this should not be shocking to anyone.

Records are being broken in BC, they are presently seeing $2.00/L for 91 octane.

The gasoline grade price differential has been steadily increasing in recent years too, and that hits my wallet especially hard. It used to be that there was a $0.10 difference between the 87 octane and the 89, and then $0.10 more for the 93 octane (so 93 was $0.20 more per gallon than the 87). But now that differential has crept up to $0.25 per gallon I noticed. So 89 is $0.25 per gallon more than 87, and 93 is $0.25 more than 89 ($0.50 more per gallon than 87).

I have to run 93, so my gas price per gallon is already over $3.00. I don't even want to think about what it will be once the summer is in full swing and the 87 octane gas is up over $3.00 itself...

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Records are being broken in BC, they are presently seeing $2.00/L for 91 octane.

It's now at the point that if you fill at night, many stations will drop their gas prices by up to 15 cents per liter.
This is the only way I can afford to fill the Lexus.
I'll tell ya one thing, if I had to commute daily I sure wouldn't keep it around much longer.
I'd have to get one of those soul-sucking econo box cars!

Come to think of it, my work term at the current job is up in Oct. Not sure where I'll end up working after this
confused2.gif

Might be reluctantly selling sooner than later
eek.gif

Wow $2 a litre! Living in BC must be like living in [censored], I thought Toronto was bad. Housing is expensive but at least I can still drive to work!

Originally Posted by Willclark
Yeah, but don't we gain a little bit of miles per gallon with the "Summer blend" gas??

I don't notice it as much with my Lucerne other than warm up time but my Sierra (TBI) is just down right painful to drive in the winter, I'm guessing 8-10 mpg city and worse in 4x.

Yeah, just imagine, if your car has a 100L tank, it's $200 to fill it
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
The gasoline grade price differential has been steadily increasing in recent years too, and that hits my wallet especially hard. It used to be that there was a $0.10 difference between the 87 octane and the 89, and then $0.10 more for the 93 octane (so 93 was $0.20 more per gallon than the 87). But now that differential has crept up to $0.25 per gallon I noticed. So 89 is $0.25 per gallon more than 87, and 93 is $0.25 more than 89 ($0.50 more per gallon than 87).

I have to run 93, so my gas price per gallon is already over $3.00. I don't even want to think about what it will be once the summer is in full swing and the 87 octane gas is up over $3.00 itself...

Most stations in the Indianapolis area have at least a $.30 spread between grades, with several now at $.40 between grades. I've got a Town & Country that has the occasional ping that does better on 89, but have found putting a 6 oz bottle of Lucas upper cylinder lube tends to eliminate it on 87. I've got the gallon jug that I refill the 6 oz bottles with, so it's actually cheaper to run the Lucas than it is to fill it with 89 for the same effect.

Surprisingly by me, they gouge heavily for plus. Im just shooting from memory, but one Exxon in Lyndhurst was 2.79, 3.39 and 3.49 for super today diesel was 3.59. US Gas near my house is 2.63, 3.01 and 3.11, diesel 2.99. I also paid 2.69 for diesel at US gas about 3 weeks ago, so its been steadily increasing lately.

Playing devils advocate ...Why shouldn't the rich people with performance engines and high octane requirements subsidize those less fortunate. Just another gift from the social justice crowd IMO. Maybe someone that formulates fuels can tell me I'm wrong and that the differential is due to the real world cost?

Originally Posted by Kawiguy454
Playing devils advocate ...Why shouldn't the rich people with performance engines and high octane requirements subsidize those less fortunate. Just another gift from the social justice crowd IMO. Maybe someone that formulates fuels can tell me I'm wrong and that the differential is due to the real world cost?

The extra $$ per gallon for increased octane gasoline is not subsidizing the less fortunate. It's not a zero-sum game; the 87 octane prices are not lowered when they raise the 89/93 octane prices. The extra money per gallon is just extra revenue for the business entity selling it.

Wholesale clubs seem like the clear winner for 93 octane, which says to me that everybody else are in fact ripping people off.

BJs is a nickel less on 87 but 35-40 cents less on premium out my way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back