The cure to vinaigrette that won't emulsify

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of sudden, my favorite salad dressing mix will no longer emulsify after being shaken up. After an extensive internet research endeavor, I have discovered that liquid sunflower lecithin may be the cure. A specialty store in town stocks it. I'm pretty exited to get my favorite salad dressing back to a healthy state of emulsification.
smile.gif

[Linked Image]

Ingredients:
Sugar, Salt, Sodium Citrate, Garlic (Dried), Spice, Red Bell Peppers (Dried), Carrots (Dried), Xanthan Gum, Maltodextrin, Parsley (Dried), Guar Gum, Natural Flavor, Soy Sauce (Dried) (Wheat, Soybeans, Salt), Citric Acid.

The pound of cure:

[Linked Image]

1) The "pound of cure" link didn't respond....could be my ancient machine

2) Do get back to us when you try the liquid sunflower lecithin.

I shake a bottle of oil, vinegar and spices then drizzle a bit onto salads.
I've never seen a change in the proportion of oil to water in the remaining dressing in the bottle to suggest that anything other than a proper mixture has been dispensed.

I associate emulsification with soap cutting an oil so dirt will come off my hands......or maybe a way to keep a batter uniform while it's in the oven or some such.

How much emulsification does one need for salad dressing? FINISH SHAKING-POUR....all done in 1.5 seconds. Why add an ingredient thus cost?

Xanthan Gum is the key ingredient that you are needing. I used to make the stuff. Worked at Kelco for 9 years. It works. You can find it at most grocery stores if you look hard enough.

Xanthum Gum is not to going to bind water and oil together like lecithin. Gums can emulsify to a small degree, but in my opinion it's from the thickening not true emulsification. Lecithin has a hydrophobic (water hating) tail and a hydrophillic (water loving) head, allowing oil and water to bind together.

The real question here is the emulsification a water in oil or oil in water?

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
Xanthan Gum is the key ingredient that you are needing. I used to make the stuff. Worked at Kelco for 9 years. It works. You can find it at most grocery stores if you look hard enough.

Usually found in the gluten-free section.

Lecithin is a well known edible emulsifier. It is one of the magic components of egg yolks. It's best not subject lecithin (or egg yolks) to high heat if you plan to eat it.

Originally Posted by Blkstanger

Xanthum Gum is supposed to be included in the ingredients with the mix. I think what they did is forgot to include it in the last 3 or 4 boxes that I've bought. I mean there's a night and day difference without it. Without it, the dressing is too thin and sinks to the bottom of the salad where I can't taste it until I'm almost done with the salad. Being that salad is such a staple in my diet, I gotta come up with my own emulsifier if they continue to exclude it in the mix.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Mustard is a good emulsifier

This or egg yolk or whole egg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back