Mixing of vicosities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Originally Posted by dave1251
Even mixing two grades within the same brand you end up with a unknown.

Not if you have a VOA / UOA of both oils

?

Unless you run your "mix" through the CCS and MRV testing, you have no idea as to the cold temperature characteristics of the end product. A VOA or UOA will only give you KV100.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Some think that simple math works for calculating viscosity.

"Like"

I've been mixing my leftovers overs and using it whenever it ads up to enough. 1 car has 155k another about 160k and 55k. I don't always use the same grades or brands so it's all mixeded up
I don't think it matterstters much.

when I joined bitog, I tried mixing 5Wx30 and 10W30 to get 7.5Wx30 ... and it didn't go well
shocked2.gif
lol.gif

Even if mixing the same brand, is he actually getting an SAE 40 and a 15w-40 that would meet the same specifications? The 15w-40 options I'd see here would be CJ-4 or CK-4 and maybe include ACEA E7, E9. Some parts of the world have 15w-40 A3/B3 type lubricants. I've never seen an SAE 40 with a modern HDEO specification or A3/B3, so no, I don't see the point.

I'll be mixing oil in my 09 altima. I have a ton of 5-30 but opted to try using 10-30 to slow down consumption which is not going well. I'm going to end up with around half, 10 and 5-30 by the time I hit 3750. Probably half Mobil and the other pp. oh well.

Agree, dont see the need to do such things, if you need topping up thats one thing. But to buy 10L of two different grades to make your own brew..

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

?

Unless you run your "mix" through the CCS and MRV testing, you have no idea as to the cold temperature characteristics of the end product. A VOA or UOA will only give you KV100.

Well, yeah, but i know it won't be any thinner than a 15W or any thicker than a 20W.... or am i missing something.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

?

Well, yeah, but i know it won't be any thinner than a 15W or any thicker than a 20W.... or am i missing something.

The assumption made is that if you mix for example a 15w-40 with a 0w-40 you get a 5w-40 or 10w-40. You may not. You may continue to have 15w-40 for example, but now one that meets zero of the approvals either half the concoction met prior to the mixing episode.

There is also the remote possibility that in a mix the synergies of the PPD's and base oil blends are negatively affected and you actually push up the cloud point on the final product. This cannot be known unless the product is run through the CCS and MRV tests.

The same goes for VII treatment, which may result in the actual visc not matching that which is calculated.

I'm a mixer. 10w30 and 15w40 of same brand and formula. I wanted to bump the HTHS above what the 10w30 offered but not as high as the 15w40.

No idea of the actual winter rating, but I did run a VOA with 40c and 100c cSt tests. The results were within 2% of the calculated viscosity from the Widman calculator.

UOA showed excellent results. I did it again with the next oil change. Will continue to use this blend until something better comes along.

I'm in CA so winter ratings aren't important. Mixing can have merits and can actually be beneficial in my experience.

Last oil change, I wanted an sn+ oil that's
ACEA A3/B3 with a better VI than Mobil1
10w30 HM (only sn+ A3/B3 I know of), so I
mixed that with Amsoil 5w30 (HTHS of 3.3,
almost A3/B3 spec, sn+, and lower 40C
viscosity). It's hard to guess EXACTLY
where the specs will land without doing a VOA,
but I figure it will be closer to what I want than
either one alone.

Maybe I will send in the mix to Blackstone to see
after all. If I do I'll post it.

Anyone use labs other than Blackstone?
They report 100c viscosity but not 40c or HTHS values.
Apex seems to do 40c viscosity but not 100c or HTHS.

Originally Posted by cristo
Anyone use labs other than Blackstone?
They report 100c viscosity but not 40c or HTHS values.
Apex seems to do 40c viscosity but not 100c or HTHS.

I'm sure they will do the 40c test but you will need to pay the additional fee.

I used Polaris aka Oil Analyzers and I think the 40c test was around $20 extra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back