Tides new Heavy Duty Liquid Detergent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious to know the formula difference between this and regular tide. I have a couple items that I just can't seem to get a few oily stains out of.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Marketing.

Is this the the stuff to use to get that TRUCK oil out of your clothes?

Maybe Tide will become a forum sponsor now, for all us DIY'ers. LOL, JK.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Mechanics know to not rub you hands on your clothes. Sheesh.

Silly commercial but they need to show a blue collar person getting dirty.

Originally Posted by CT8
Tide works great but the fragrance is gross.

I agree, so use the free and clear. No scent.

Free and Clear usually doesn't clean as well. That's the main reason they put fragrance in detergent and soap (the good stuff stink).

About 15 years ago we ran into a guy who used to work on Tide Cold Water, and he claims that it was the best detergent you can get in the market at the time. I'm sure if you use it with hot water it would be even stronger.

Personally I hand soak with Dawn Ultra for a few days and then throw it into the washing machine with warm water + regular detergent. It usually works pretty well.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Mechanics know to not rub you hands on your clothes. Sheesh.

Sometimes you can't help it, but aside from clothes probably work great for washing out MF towels of polish and wax, double rinse and your good to go.
11.gif

Back in the day, laundry detergent worked well because it had TSP in it. You can buy straight TSP at most hardware stores, or heck, even Walmart probably has it these days. It's an excellent degreaser, without the foaming action of some alternatives which are a problem in a washing machine. It was removed from detergent because if everyone used it all the time, it could promote excessive algae in lakes and streams, but a little bit once in a while isn't going to make a difference, is broken down by nature, and that algae is a CO 'sink which isn't all bad, but again you'd be using so little that it won't make much difference.

Then there is Lestoil, sometimes I'll pre-treat a heavily oily area with that, let it sit a few minutes, then agitate it in a bucket of hot water, then let the garment sit in that bucket for a few hours and wring out and one rinse water bucket before a machine wash.

Sometimes I just keep ratty old clothing for this purpose... jeans with holes in them, old $1 T-shirts, toss them in the trash when finished or the t-shirts, just get the grease out not caring if stains are 100% gone, and use them as rags for wiping your hands off next time. Obviously this won't work for a pro mechanic that has to maintain their appearance but for the DIY'er, my old clothes have various stages of abusive tasks they're suited for.

Last edited:
we use TSP and Dawn to wash the grease rags at work. We remanufacture auto parts, the grease is impressive sometimes.

There is so much grease, never a problem with Dawn foaming.

Rod

People love to forget that many degreasers can be used in the laundry. Simple Green has been a staple for a long time.

Arm and Hammer detergent has been working for me on even the nastiest messes.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Arm and Hammer detergent has been working for me on even the nastiest messes.

That's one of my favorites. I think Fresh Burst with Oxyclean is the one we'll get sometimes. The scent is very mild and that's what got me to buying it.

Originally Posted by CT8

They make a fragrance free version, but it's still too strong and eats the fabric. My clothes sure last a lot longer since I've quit using Tide.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
Originally Posted by CT8

They make a fragrance free version, but it's still too strong and eats the fabric. My clothes sure last a lot longer since I've quit using Tide.

Tide does seem overly strong and makes your clothes feel "crispy" and dried out. My go to detergent is Woolite (really gentle and has the lightest fragrance I've ever smelled). My gf buys this kind that's made in Mexico called Ariel that works really good and had a really light clean pleasent fragrance.

I buy and use Xtra brand laundry detergent and it works great and very inexpensive at CVS.

I only use more detergent when washing underwear, Tee shirts and socks..... everything else gets the minimum amount of detergent.

I wash and press all our clothes....

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by das_peikko
Originally Posted by CT8

Tide does seem overly strong and makes your clothes feel "crispy" and dried out. My go to detergent is Woolite (really gentle and has the lightest fragrance I've ever smelled). My gf buys this kind that's made in Mexico called Ariel that works really good and had a really light clean pleasent fragrance.

Ariel and Tide are the same thing.

https://us.pg.com/brands/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back