Quiet highway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just drove I-10 westbound in Katy, Texas and when they redid the road they put some linear grooves in the concrete. It was amazing how quiet. And not wavy, where it would make the car try to follow them. First time I have seen this. Should be good in the rain too.

I've been on that section of road. Yep, sure is nice.

I'd think the grooves would make the highway louder, not quieter. Of course if it were Lousy-ana, the grooves would be ridges and your tires would howl.

Texas does their roads well. My road trips to Amarillo and Austin were both very pleasant jaunts. When I crossed back into Loozy-ana, though, the car looked over its shoulder and whined, "Boss, do we have to do this?"

The grooves in this case are set differently than normal.

Typical concrete roads have the grooves placed when the concrete is poured and is starting to set. (The equivalent of a broom finish on your concrete driveway if trying to think of an equivalent).

This process places the concrete, finishes the concrete smooth, and then cuts in the grooves after the concrete has set. Often called diamond grinding.

Pavement milling and diamond grinding are common. But the grooves are always across the whole lane. I've never seen just some grooves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back