First Oil Change on GM 1.5L GDI Turbo @ 7500 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a new GMC Terrain, has the 1.5 liter direct injection turbo motor. At delivery, dealer setup up first oil change for October at what is estimated may be the 7500 mile mark.

What say BITOG of this? Factory fill be changed out sooner?

Reasonable if you don't expect more than 250,000 miles out of the engine. Personally, I'm a scardy cat and would change at 3,000, then 7,500 and 7,500 OCs after that. What does your manual suggest as it would be my first go to. Ed

I'm in the same boat with my VW.. High output Turbo, 1.4L and less than 4 qts oil.
At least its "real" synthetic and VW uses a good sized oil filter with very high bypass over 26psi. IIRC.

I have a recall to replace rear coil springs (some have failed) So I might get an OC springs ( mine "seem" fine) and a front end alignment check ( car pulls left and feels a bit unsure on center) this will be about 3500 miles That's long enough in my book.

With turbo bearings and hydraulic lash adjusters I don't want the 1 mil grit in there much longer.

1/4 Million miles Engine life? Turbos dead by 125K miles VERY likely. Beast nature cant fight it.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Bought a new GMC Terrain, has the 1.5 liter direct injection turbo motor. At delivery, dealer setup up first oil change for October at what is estimated may be the 7500 mile mark.

What say BITOG of this? Factory fill be changed out sooner?

I changed my DI @ 3K. Dealer still owes me an oil change also. I made a reservation for the day after Thanksgiving .

Manual says to abide the Oil Life Monitor. Plan on keeping it minimum 7 yrs. Manual also says oil spec for this engine is 0W-20 Dexos1 Gen2.

I'm off to PQI website to attempt to review which 0W-20's look good on virgin analysis.

I would personally change oil at 50% on the OLM . That is what I do on our 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8l automatic . Oil / filter is pretty cheap insurance . Have been using DEXOS Gen1 that I purchased on sale from NAPA and filters from Rockauto.com

If I ever buy a new car (not likely anytime soon) I'd change the oil at 1K, then regular OCI after that.

I just reached 6K on my 17 Buick Regal GS 2.0T and she's gone thru 3 oil changes already, dumped the FF at 600 miles, no way i would go 7500 on a DI turbo factory fill.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Manual says to abide the Oil Life Monitor. Plan on keeping it minimum 7 yrs. Manual also says oil spec for this engine is 0W-20 Dexos1 Gen2.

I'm off to PQI website to attempt to review which 0W-20's look good on virgin analysis.

I pretty happy with the VW 508 spec oil in my car. I think I read the spec and its at the middle-thin end of 20 grade though. Guessing its Castrol professional OE 0W20 LL
Probably pricey at ten bucks a litre and not an option for your GM engine. Motor spins right up and broke in OK.

For turbo motors I generally change more often. You have a motor that is being pushed to do more with less with a hot and high spinning turbo as well.

Every 5k with Synthetic would get my vote for most smaller turbo motors.

I've got the same engine, '18 1.5T Equinox. Recommend changing factory fill at 1,000 miles. Then change oil at when the OLM tells you, exactly; don't argue with the OLM, they don't like that.... Put on a Wix WL10255 because the bypass pressure is right, and its an over-sized good filter that fits very well under there. (napagold equivalent is the same) It's a PF63E-cross-reference.
Use Mobil1 EP 0w20 or annual protection, walmart, would be my recommendation, which is a lot of PAO, and change at OLM to get the cleanest possible pistons as it ages.
At the 5-year point, run a summer fill of Valovline Premium Blue Restore 10w30 piston-cleaner half-ester oil.

Originally Posted by Jimzz
For turbo motors I generally change more often. You have a motor that is being pushed to do more with less with a hot and high spinning turbo as well.

Every 5k with Synthetic would get my vote for most smaller turbo motors.

My vote too.

Had wifes 16 Equinox V6 serviced at 5000 mi and will continue this interval. Agree with others here that turbo engines should be serviced more often. An easy driven 2.0 turbo could be driven out to 7500 miles but these smaller engines are way over stressed IMO.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
I've got the same engine, '18 1.5T Equinox. Recommend changing factory fill at 1,000 miles. Then change oil at when the OLM tells you, exactly; don't argue with the OLM, they don't like that.... Put on a Wix WL10255 because the bypass pressure is right, and its an over-sized good filter that fits very well under there. (napagold equivalent is the same) It's a PF63E-cross-reference.
Use Mobil1 EP 0w20 or annual protection, walmart, would be my recommendation, which is a lot of PAO, and change at OLM to get the cleanest possible pistons as it ages.
At the 5-year point, run a summer fill of Valovline Premium Blue Restore 10w30 piston-cleaner half-ester oil.

This is the info I need right here. Mobil 1 traditionally has always seemed to make my motors emit more mechanical noise of operation for some reason. Is your 1.5 quiet with the Mobil 1 EP in it?

Okay, did some checking. As of 2016 at least, looks like XOM (Exxon Mobil) may be the supplier of motor oil to GM, i.e. AC Delco labeled oil is Mobil oil. So my plan is to buy the oil and OEM filter at the parts counter of the selling dealership to have receipt on file, and do the first oil change at 1000 miles using the AC Delco full syn 0W20 Dexos blah blah stuff. 1Dexos Gen 2 to be exact. Will then bring it back at 7500 for the free oil change by dealer service dept. Will request an experienced person do the change, not some new employee they're starting out with having them doing oil changes and car washes . . .

Will I capture a sample for analysis at the 1k change? Hmmm ... Maybe.

Id skip the free. You know you should do it yourself. The 0w20 EP is the Classic PAO stuff. Prob the only super decent XoM oil. True synthetic majority group IV. With its "extra noise" and Extra power.

I did the free dealer OC once. Saw a 5 foot tall girl "tech" get on a step ladder to pour oil from a gallon oil can. She wobbled and spilled oil all over the engine, hoses, belts. of my new Ford Ranger. Just entry wage grease monkeys. I would not have a top tech doing OC at my garage.
I hate those dealers with big windows into the service bay. Every time I've looked out there is a tragedy occurring to my car.

Last year on my NIssan, the tech missed the ramp onto the alignment rack and dropped the right nose into the pit. Never went there again. My selling dealer. Salem Nissan in Salem N.H. I think its Patriot Nissan now. Same service department ( boo).
Richard Solt is the ONLY tech you want if you go there. He's the real thing. Good guy.

I'm an early and frequent oil changer in the first few thousand miles of an engines life to flush out all the assembly lube, sealants leeching into the oil and break-in swarf. Oil is cheap, engines are not.
If you want to make it appear as though you haven't done an oil change, just drain/refill without changing the filter before you take it in for its "First" oil change at the dealer.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Malo83
I just reached 6K on my 17 Buick Regal GS 2.0T and she's gone thru 3 oil changes already, dumped the FF at 600 miles, no way i would go 7500 on a DI turbo factory fill.

+1 I didn't read the whole thread but this is what I would do also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back