Getting as "Free" Kawasaki Vulcan 900 soon lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
So long story short after clearing with property manager and local PD this is happening lol

This bike has been in the same spot for years, no cover, never moved !! It's a 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 has been in my parking area since early 2018, has expired tags and next week doing process for abandonment title through court system

I'm not a motorcycle guy, so want to freshen it up and put it for sale. Aside from oil change/filter what else you guys suggest ?? I know the seat is torn from sun/weather exporer but its been rained and snowed on for at least last 2 years !! NO COVER!

What do you guys think ??

Thats a lot of work/effort for a motorcycle that you might get $800 for. IF you put a battery in it and rebuild the carburetor and drain the tank and get a new key/ignition put in it.

Might break even.

Call a tow company to come tow it away and be done with it.

Well, it is a fuel injected bike, so hopefully the injectors are not clogged.
Will need a new battery. Probably plugs.
I would pull the plugs and squirt some oil in the cylinders and let it soak for a bit before trying to turn it over.
Drain the gas tank and add new gas.
Brake fluid needs to be changed as well.
Change coolant.
Will need new tires most likely.
Do you have keys? If not, you need new ignition, gas cap, steering and helmet lock (and if hard bags, keys for that too). May be able to get a key made by Kawasaki with title.

Would probably be easier to sell it as is instead of sinking time and money for something that you may break even with.

You need to operate some controls to know if it's worth trying.
check the foot brake, (left side pedal), does it stop the rear tire & release?
check the front brake, right hand lever for same. If they don't release cleanly, you may need to rebuild/unstick calipers.
same for the clutch lever,left handlebar, does it apply & release clean or do the clutch disks need disassembly?
Bikes that sit are real labor to bring back.

Dad has a 2008 900 Custom and it is a fuel injected bike, his sat inside for a very long time and only has 600 miles on it, he used regular gas which around here is E-10 or gas with 10% ethanol, totally gummed up the fuel pump and had to get the tank cleaned with a new liner. You're going to have to check everything out, fuel system, brakes, hoses, etc.... I'm actually surprised that it had sat there for so long without the owner coming back for it or that the property owner didn't have it towed away. When you file for a abandonment title they research the history and try to locate the current owner but after X number of days if they can't contact them then it's fair game.

Is it stolen by chance?

Originally Posted by GMguy84

I'm not a motorcycle guy.

Hmm..

If you're doing it for schlitz and giggles or to learn something about bikes go for it. Others have noted it could be a pile of work to get it right. Years ago I was given a Yamaha 650 twin. Thought no big deal, how hard can this be I've had bikes on and off all along. Quickly realized it was way more work than it was worth and passed it along. Good luck!

Originally Posted by Merek
I'm actually surprised that it had sat there for so long without the owner coming back for it or that the property owner didn't have it towed away. When you file for a abandonment title they research the history and try to locate the current owner but after X number of days if they can't contact them then it's fair game.

Is it stolen by chance?

Beats me on why it was parked and where owner is ?? The tags expired may 2018 and has never moved from the same spot

In Oklahoma, When you file for abandonment title ($185 fee) they send a letter to last owners known registered address to claim their property. If no answer within 4-6 weeks then it becomes fair game and becomes property of the company/individuales who filed the paper work

My Local PD checked out the plate and last owner lives 75 miles away from my town and it's not stolen

Management lady says shes to "busy" to deal with it lol

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks everyone on your input

Considering what needs to be done to make a "daily driver" and my free time very rare, I was now thinking of just draining old fuel adding fresh high octane and some gumout or B12 to clean out system, Change oil and battery

And then selling it as-is on facebook marketplace or something ??

Dave

I would not put any money into it, until you get the engine running and can at least drive it around at low speed. I am not sure how the ignition lock is, but some bikes have fancy electronic ignition switches that are hard to defeat. I sort of doubt that in your case. That said, if you do get it to the point that it can be ridden, then eBay is a good source of bike parts. Decent quality used seats can be expensive, but Kawasaki might sell full seats or seat skins that a shop can use to fix your bike. If it turns out to be a basket case, then you could part it out and get at least $185 for the parts on eBay.

Call Kawasaki with the VIN and check to see if it has had any recalls done to it.

IIRC, those engines had problems with the oil pressure bypass valve getting stuck and it would blow the oil filter right off the bike.

They are sollid bikes. I have a 2006 Vulcan 900.

A common issue with many of the earlier years is the stator goes out.

Tank may well be rusty. Big job cleaning and coating inside with sealant. Along with all the other stuff listed above, you've got a big job ahead of you.

A decent bike bike for normal riding just like all the the other Japanese cruisers..Low resale valve because the market is flooded with these type bikes.

Sounds like many enjoyable hours of quality garage time to me, and for free. Hard to beat that. Get a shop manual for it, and after getting everything in shape, you may decide you are a motorcycle guy after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back