Magnaflow vs. Flowmaster mufflers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the old flowmaster American thunder system on my (350, 10:1, heads, headers, etc) transam. It was LOUD all the time. Droned bad going down the highway. I am sure a teenager who wants to be loud all the time loves them.
I switched to the magnaflow SS system and it is so much better. Nice mellow sound when puttering around but when you get on it it roars. Its been on for a few years and the finish is still holding up well.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Magnaflow uses 409 stainless. Flowmaster is aluminized
smile.gif

Flowmaster, depending on the model & configuration is also available in 409 stainless

How about Flowmaster 50' s instead of 40's or would that be the same as Magnaflows?

flowmaster and magnaflows are 2 totally different animals. Flowmasters are chambered where the magnaflows are strait through and more like a glasspack.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Magnaflow also has their XL mufflers, which is there version of a chambered muffler.

[Linked Image]

Flowmaster also has their "Laminar flow" type muffler and recently came out with a regular straight-through muffler like a regular Magnaflow or Borla
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Thats good to know. The Flowmaster stuff is solid and well built. Its just that chambered sound is very much love it or hate it. When i hear it I instantly think 5oh mustang because it seems every single mustang had that loud american thunder flowmaster kit on it back in the day.
lol.gif

I was leaning towards the Flowmaster 50's with a header back X pipe. That was until I spoke directly with Flowmaster today and they told me the 50 series would be quiet like a nice factory exhaust. Even as quiet as Magnaflow. The videos don't help much unfortunately but the 50's seem pretty tame.

I'm partial to Borla on a gasoline vehicle, but my second pick would be Magnaflow.

One man's music may be another's noise.

Originally Posted by 007
I was leaning towards the Flowmaster 50's with a header back X pipe. That was until I spoke directly with Flowmaster today and they told me the 50 series would be quiet like a nice factory exhaust. Even as quiet as Magnaflow. The videos don't help much unfortunately but the 50's seem pretty tame.

I'm not sure what vehicle you are putting it on, but I had a 3.5" 50 series on my truck, and the drone was unbearable. This is a Silverado with headers, combining into a single 3.5". I now have true 3" duals with X-pipe, and an Aero Turbine and resonator on each leg. It still has too much drone on the highway, but much quieter than the single 50 series.

Originally Posted by ofelas
I'm partial to Borla on a gasoline vehicle, but my second pick would be Magnaflow.

My thoughts as well. I must prefer Borla, to me a lot of the Flowmasters sound like dump trucks. But then again people have said my Borla ATAKs are too loud and raspy with too much off throttle popping, which is why I like them.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal

My thoughts as well. I must prefer Borla, to me a lot of the Flowmasters sound like dump trucks. But then again people have said my Borla ATAKs are too loud and raspy with too much off throttle popping, which is why I like them.

I had Flowmaster 40's on my fox body and they droned like crazy! Sounded awesome around town and when you were on it but made highway driving all but unbearable.

I have two Ford 4.6 Mustangs. One with Flowmaster 40 series, one w/Magnaflow. The Magnaflow is quieter and has a deeper sound. Both sound good, but personally I like the Magnaflows better.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal

I thought about getting the Borla Ataks when I first got my Mustang but went with Roush instead. After awhile they got annoying and I put on some Ford Racing single tip GT500 mufflers with a resonator delete and now it sounds perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back