Router died after power went out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 Netgear routers in different areas of my house. The power went out briefly during a storm overnight and one of them was not online the next morning. There are no lights at all that are on when it is plugged in now. It wasn't on a surge protector, just a power strip. I'm thinking that maybe the power supply bit the dust when the power came back on. They both have different power supply specs so I didn't want to swap the good one without checking here first. The dead one says .6A input and 1.5A at 12v output. The good one is 1.0A input and 2.5A output. Is there any harm in trying the good one before calling this router dead or ordering another power supply?

The router won't draw more current than it needs. So if the plug that goes into the router is the same for both, the higher capacity power supply will provide power to the router that draws less power.

It's actually the other way around that often doesn't work. A lower capacity power supply connected to a higher demand device is asking for trouble.

Originally Posted by RhondaHonda
I have 2 Netgear routers in different areas of my house. The power went out briefly during a storm overnight and one of them was not online the next morning. There are no lights at all that are on when it is plugged in now. It wasn't on a surge protector, just a power strip. I'm thinking that maybe the power supply bit the dust when the power came back on. They both have different power supply specs so I didn't want to swap the good one without checking here first. The dead one says .6A input and 1.5A at 12v output. The good one is 1.0A input and 2.5A output. Is there any harm in trying the good one before calling this router dead or ordering another power supply?

Some routers are 5 volt but most are 12 volt. Of course don't plug 12 volts into a 5 volt router or vice versa. The power requirements of the router will be on its nameplate. If you have a supply with the same output voltage and the output current rating is equal or higher then you can use that power supply. The input current does not matter.

Originally Posted by RhondaHonda

Also, is the 2nd PS also 12v output? As mentioned above, you can use the PS if the output voltage is the same and the current output is equal or more.

replace them both with mesh.

Routers and mesh are getting so cheap these days. Maybe a UPS also.

I have my routers and modem on a UPS. That way I can contact NYSEG and tell them the power is off.

Recent power outages I have been able to keep on working on laptop connected through router (on UPS) and it lasted long enough until power cam back on.

Get the power requirement specs from the device, not the 'plug' that it's connected to. As others have said, the router will only draw 'x' amount of power. The numbers/specs on the plug list the maximum that it can supply.

As long as the output voltage on the other adapter is the same as the one you suspect being dead and the output current is the same or greater, it is perfectly suitable for testing as to whether it is the adapter or not.

I swapped AC adapters and it powered right up. Just ordered a replacement for $9.95. I'll get a surge protector too. I'll read up more on the mesh thing as well.

When you need to replace one of these, most thrift stores have a "[censored] box" of orphaned cables, plugs and adapters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back