Piston Temperatures of an Air Cooled Engine

Originally Posted by Shannow
No probs...I'e been trying to (re) find it for months and months

Good read so thank you mate
smile.gif

Cheers
10.gif

Didn't you and I both prove some time ago, on separate continents, that a reduction in engine oil viscosity resulted in cooler head temps using riding mower engines and IR guns?

As I recall(?), I went from from a 15W50 to a 15W40, to a 10W30, to a 5W30 and noticed head temp reduction each time.

Last edited:
Molakule,
yep, you did the heads, I did the bulk oil with a type K thermocouple down the dipstick on 5W20 through 20W60.

Given that the temperature DRIVEs heat expulsion, through radiative (T^4) and convective (T^2) mechanisms from an air cooled engine, clearly the oils were generating less heat, not carrying away more.

11.gif

Interesting, however I dont think it will sway me to go thinner in the 1980's tractors.

1 jd316 had been running thousands of hours on 20w50, now it probably has another 1000+hours on 15w40 (purchased new ?1986?)
the hour meter doesnt work now.

we have 2 more of this series tractor and they all have provided no oiling issues on 15w40..(less history with these 2 they were purchased well used)

they get worked hard.. not sure a 30wt would protect as well when they are run hard mowing fields and such.
(if it aint broke dont fix it)

In fact I snagged a case of havoline 20w50 for $1/qt that will be going in the 3000hr+ jd316.

Thanks for posting that article.. was a good read.

Last edited:
Since most 4-cycle air cooled engines used in Outdoor Equipment specify somewhere around a 30 grade, and if i had a mowing and landscaping service, I think I would use this:

10W-30/SAE 30

Last edited:
I tried multi weight in a air cooled and didn't like having to keep it topped off due to consumption. I went back to mono weight and no more oil burning and if it runs hotter so be it.

I own a Cessna 177RG with the air cooled Lycoming IO360 angle valve, 200HP engine. Using thin oil (15W-50) results in higher oil consumption and lower oil pressure. Some people claim the thinner oil may result in faster ring and cylinder wear in hot conditions. Not sure I accept that.

But oil temperature is lower by about 20 degrees.

I'd use the straight 50 viscosity oil, however, the semi-synthetic oil prevents exhaust valve sticking our operations.

real synthetic PAO + Ester oils listed as 30W meet 10-30 specs WITHOUT additives if you dont mind the $$$$

Back