Replace battery every 3 years - needed or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the aviation world, we "Cap-Check" batteries every 12 or 6 months, as required. We do use very high quality lead-acid batteries in many types of aircraft. (NiCad's too)

Lead Acid:

A new 44AH battery will test at 52-54AH or even more, at the 20 hour rate.
At one year it will test at or above 44AH
At two years it will test slightly below 44AH (at this point, 6 month testing is required)
At three years we are very lucky if the battery tests at 35AH. (that's the 80% FAA limit for battery capacity)
At 4 years, 100% of the batteries fail the 80%, 35AH test and often test around 20-25AH or half the initial capacity.

Remember, the 44AH rating is a form of sandbagging. The battery clearly makes 53AH when new.

My Point:
1) Lead acid batteries do not last 11 years (or even 5 years) and still meet new specs. They may still start the car, but that's not a reflection of battery health.
2) Automotive lead acid batteries are generally not high quality.
3) Very few automotive batteries are properly tested
4) Older batteries do require more umph from the alternator.

Have a 5y/o Diehard Platinum 34/78 (Odyssey AGM) that failed to start my Silverado several months ago when the temps were cooler. I've never returned the battery for a core charge thinking I could revive it or use it as a "summer" battery so the cold temps won't cause excessive voltage drop when cranking.

One more thing, a battery that is on it's way out can take out a starter and/or starter solenoid. Ask me how I know. Has anyone priced new starters lately? Can you even SEE the starter on your vehicle (let alone having easy access to replace it)?
I use a cheap computerized capacitive battery tester on my batteries regularly (like this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DDDDSK9), it works better than I would have expected, better than a load tester. I replace the battery when it says "Replace". This usually happens at the 3 to 4 year time interval here in Texas. Keeping a battery that is on it's way out is just asking for trouble IMO.

Originally Posted by Linctex
None of you have ever tried using a desulfator?

Ahh I have read those are not always legitimate...

Not saying that's totally accurate myself.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by Linctex
None of you have ever tried using a desulfator?

Ahh I have read those are not always legitimate...

Not saying that's totally accurate myself.

Desulphators are mainly for
1. Lead Acid Golf Carts/antique EVs
2. Starting batteries that have been run dead

A desulphator won't fix a worn battery with missing lead in the plates, it also won't fix a short inside the battery.

That said the battery in my Cobalt is 10 years old the one in the Volt is 7 years old and still work.

I'll replace them once they fail

Makes a lot of sense ^^^^^^^^

And your post in the retail space thread was absolutely spot on.... Great observations and post there.

Originally Posted by wag123
One more thing, a battery that is on it's way out can take out a starter and/or starter solenoid. Ask me how I know. Has anyone priced new starters lately? Can you even SEE the starter on your vehicle (let alone having easy access to replace it)?
I use a cheap computerized capacitive battery tester on my batteries regularly (like this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DDDDSK9), it works better than I would have expected, better than a load tester. I replace the battery when it says "Replace". This usually happens at the 3 to 4 year time interval here in Texas. Keeping a battery that is on it's way out is just asking for trouble IMO.

Thanks for that link!!
thumbsup2.gif
That would really save me a trip to advance auto since I really like their midtronics (and expensive) battery tester. I wonder if it is doing the same calculations as the more expensive midtronics? hmm.. I'd love to have my own tester! for an affordable price!

My sons 2009 Corolla (used to be mine from new), 250,000 miles, just replaced the OE factory battery last fall.
2005 Buick LeSabre 165,000 miles still on OE factory battery.
2003 GMC Sierra 130,000 miles still on OE factory battery.
2013 Civic Si 53,000 miles still on OE factory battery.

I replace the batteries when they fail. They get the a quarterly treatment by smart charger CTEK and NOCO Genius with the desulphator function.

I'll stick with my practice as it undoubtedly works.
coffee2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back