Best oil for Honda Rancher?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Year model is 2015 I believe. I have been changing the oil in my father in law's two Ranchers and I have been using Rotella T4 because of it's Jaso MA/MA2 cert which is good for a wet clutch. Is this the best bang for buck for a quad with a wet clutch?

I have used whatever 15W-40 was on sale cheap for 84,000 miles in a Suzuki VZ800 Marauder.

Clutch was fine the whole time.

.....the rest of the bike died a slow death. Engine still ran great, though.

Originally Posted by Dinoburner
Why not use Honda oil? Thats all we use in the 05 Rancher but We use Rotella t6 in the Kubota and just never thought of using in the Honda

why in the world would you pay 4x for a lesser product?

use SRT 15w40 and send me half of what you save

have you really been on here for almost 2 years?

Originally Posted by Linctex
I have used whatever 15W-40 was on sale cheap for 84,000 miles in a Suzuki VZ800 Marauder.

Clutch was fine the whole time.

.....the rest of the bike died a slow death. Engine still ran great, though.

Don't you have to make sure it has the JasoMA/MA2 cert if you have a wet clutch?

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Don't you have to make sure it has the JasoMA/MA2 cert if you have a wet clutch?

Having the JASO certification on it guarantees it meets the wet clutch application, but just because it does not have it does not mean it won't work fine.
For the most part, pretty much any HDEO that is not an energy conserving oil should be fine using it in wet clutch applications.
Of course you have some bikes that are more picky than others (and even some JASO oils give some bikes issues).

As for using the T4, your fine using it.
Be aware though that technically, Rotella does not have JASO certification according to the official list.
T4 and T6 both say "Meets the performance requirements of ... JASO DH-2, JASO MA ..." on the bottle, T5 does not say anything about JASO on it.
21.gif

Many also use Delo HDEO, but it also does not have JASO certification (or even mention it on any of their containers).

The "cheapest" option would be using Supertech 15w-40 HDEO for $10/gallon, but that also is not JASO certified.
Many have used it in wet clutch applications with no issues (including me in my VT1100). It is what I plan on using once my stash of Peak 15w-40 is used up (also not JASO certified).

I did see that Walmart has 10w-30 Supertech synthetic ATV oil for about $6/qt (but would be more expensive than a gallon of T6). But it is not on the official list either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back