Platinum spark plug lifespan

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a 5S-FE that is. I put them in about 2 years and 50k ago. Today while driving I felt like a hiccup a couple of times under load. Might they be getting old? I think the replacement interval is 60k. [It's probably a bit too soon to replace them, but if it keeps up doing whatever it might be doing, it seems like a first step. I suspect I'll at least pull inspect them soon.]

I used NGK BKR6EKPB-11 "laser platinum" if my Amazon records are correct. Looks like NFK TE58 wire set also the same age.

Can you pull one out easily and see how they look ? That might give you an idea.

I'd say 50k on platinum seems about ok, but I probably don't have an unbiased opinion.

Spark plug issue usually cause DTC.

Also check the throttle body and see if the accordion hose from air filter to throttle body is cracked.
Otherwise, clean the throttle body with rag and spray cleaner.

Last edited:
60k seems about right. The hiccup could also be caused by something else, too.

Just be glad you don't have the 1MZ! Then you'd need 6 of those expensive 2-prongers, and it's impossible to get to the rear bank!
mad.gif

The only multi-prong iridium I've ever seen available for these Toyotas was the old Bosch Platinum-Ir Fusion, but they don't make them anymore. They are a MUST in the 1MZ because iridium is good for 100k, so you wouldn't have to do them again for a long time!

The good news is that you don't need to track down those Bosch iridiums for your car because they're easy to do in yours. So a 60k platinum is fine. Also remember that Denso makes good ones for your car, too, and they cost less than NGK
smile.gif

Denso 3253 are the OEM specified double-electrode platinum plugs for that engine and they are about $6 each. On my old 1MZ-FE they have not had a problem going the 90,000K specified in the manual.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Just be glad you don't have the 1MZ! Then you'd need 6 of those expensive 2-prongers, and it's impossible to get to the rear bank!
mad.gif

The only multi-prong iridium I've ever seen available for these Toyotas was the old Bosch Platinum-Ir Fusion, but they don't make them anymore. They are a MUST in the 1MZ because iridium is good for 100k, so you wouldn't have to do them again for a long time!

The good news is that you don't need to track down those Bosch iridiums for your car because they're easy to do in yours. So a 60k platinum is fine. Also remember that Denso makes good ones for your car, too, and they cost less than NGK
smile.gif

Originally Posted by JMJNet

Also check the throttle body and see if the accordion hose from air filter to throttle body is cracked.

Usually. This car had a dead downstream O2 sensor that it didn't care about (read 0V all the time). Not sure I want to trust the CEL just yet, not when a miss could take out a cat (that it might not know is dead, so maybe it's a wash).

I'll mess around with it. The intake hose is starting to show age, only 2 years old but I'm guessing cheap parts are cheap parts. The vacuum hoses are all starting to go too.

100K mi is normal for platinum but if you have a waste spark system that fires them twice as often, or are burning oil so they foul, you'll get less. By the time a vehicle has gone through its 2nd set of plugs (1st being factory) I like to change them more often away, pulling them out lets me inspect them and my vehicles get fewer miles/year as they get older (newer vehicles being driven more often) so I don't want them seizing in... though it has been many years since I encountered any seized in, the nickel plating on modern plugs really helps.

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by JMJNet

Usually. This car had a dead downstream O2 sensor that it didn't care about (read 0V all the time). Not sure I want to trust the CEL just yet, not when a miss could take out a cat (that it might not know is dead, so maybe it's a wash).

I'll mess around with it. The intake hose is starting to show age, only 2 years old but I'm guessing cheap parts are cheap parts. The vacuum hoses are all starting to go too.

Yep, try to take care of those aging hoses first before doing anything else like changing the spark plugs.
I suspect the Cat is probably about to be out also.

Have you changed the sensors?

I've only changed the downstream O2 sensor; I only got some of the prior owner's repair records, so all I know is the charcoal cannister was replaced--I got it at about 140k and in short order threw at it an intake hose, TB, water pump, T-stat, plugs, wires, PCV valve, struts. That was 2 years ago, 50-60k depending upon the item. Downstream O2 sensor was Sept '17, only has 45k on it. Upstream I have to assume is original, along with nearly everything else on the motor. Maybe it's time for that too--maybe when I have the radiator out I should hammer on the O2 sensor and see if wants to loosen up (with the radiator out of the way, less things to break!).

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
At least 100K miles. I would regap them periodically though.

These are funky double-electrode platinums. Not sure they're supposed to be regapped since the gap is sideways. Either Denso PK20TR11 or NGK BKR6EKPB11.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"Sharp/Biting" Misfires under load are usually Secondary Ignition related......
*At night or in a dark area......Mist the plug wires & ignition coils with some water from a spray bottle & watch/hear for arching.
*Water &/or Oil in the Plug wells.
*Pull all the plugs & check for cracked Isolators(Ceramic).

mad.gif

smile.gif

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Dave9
100K mi is normal for platinum but if you have a waste spark system that fires them twice as often, or are burning oil so they foul, you'll get less. By the time a vehicle has gone through its 2nd set of plugs (1st being factory) I like to change them more often away, pulling them out lets me inspect them and my vehicles get fewer miles/year as they get older (newer vehicles being driven more often) so I don't want them seizing in... though it has been many years since I encountered any seized in, the nickel plating on modern plugs really helps.

The reason for the double electrode design in waste spark system is to get longevity, in my old 1MZ-FE they look fine after 90K or a bit more.

mad.gif

smile.gif

No it's not. You don't have to remove the plenum either. Either a bunch of u-joints, or if you have skinny arms, just reach in under the plenum and do everything by feel.

Even worse on a Sienna.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m7J5Snf4jc

Originally Posted by supton
I've only changed the downstream O2 sensor; I only got some of the prior owner's repair records, so all I know is the charcoal cannister was replaced--I got it at about 140k and in short order threw at it an intake hose, TB, water pump, T-stat, plugs, wires, PCV valve, struts. That was 2 years ago, 50-60k depending upon the item. Downstream O2 sensor was Sept '17, only has 45k on it. Upstream I have to assume is original, along with nearly everything else on the motor. Maybe it's time for that too--maybe when I have the radiator out I should hammer on the O2 sensor and see if wants to loosen up (with the radiator out of the way, less things to break!).

Have you logged in to the Toyota Owners site to check any dealer repairs/maintenance done?

Originally Posted by y_p_w
Originally Posted by zzyzzx
At least 100K miles. I would regap them periodically though.

These are funky double-electrode platinums. Not sure they're supposed to be regapped since the gap is sideways. Either Denso PK20TR11 or NGK BKR6EKPB11.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yep... The Denso one I put in my lady's Camry 98 2.2 L car... And they certainly don't need to be gapped. That is already set. Just plug and go.

Originally Posted by clinebarger

mad.gif

smile.gif

[Linked Image]

This is the craziest post I have seen on here yet
lol.gif

Really funny and simply AWESOME...

Acording to my service manual my NGK sparkplugs for KIA Ceed (iridium) are rated for 175.000 kilometers on MPI engine (on GDI it is shorter interval by half for same plugs)

Last edited:
It could simply be a coil. I usually see Platinum plugs lasting easily 60k miles with most able to hit 100k miles. Check your coil(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back