Great. Now we have to deal with noise-cancelling tires!

Status
Not open for further replies.
pull the foam out
27.gif

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Originally Posted by Traction
I needed to repair small screw hole right in the middle of a 2019 Audi tire, only to find out the stupid tire is lined with acoustical foam rubber. Never seen anything like it before, and didn't know how to repair it, since it would be a big mess trying to rip out a section of foam for a patch/plug. After finding out they are non-repairable I just plugged it , since it had to be fixed. I guess now they expect you to simply replace a $400 tire every time you get a small leak. Nice idea, but a little tire noise is much more practical. I guess they are using noise cancelling tires on Tesla, and several other new cars. These were Pirelli 255/40-21 tires.
https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/car-light-truck/pncs-technology

If you don't like them, then buy a set of tires that don't have them.

Tesla's, all the ones I have seen have Michelin (I forget which ones) or Continental ProContact TX tires from the factory.

An electric car that doesn't emit tire noise is dangerous for pedestrians, as they can't hear the car coming.

If you can't afford replacement tires, then you bought the wrong car or may have to put Lionhart tires on the car.

Being able to afford a set of tires, and not wanting to spring for a new tire for a simple flat are two different things.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Originally Posted by Traction
I needed to repair small screw hole right in the middle of a 2019 Audi tire, only to find out the stupid tire is lined with acoustical foam rubber. Never seen anything like it before, and didn't know how to repair it, since it would be a big mess trying to rip out a section of foam for a patch/plug. After finding out they are non-repairable I just plugged it , since it had to be fixed. I guess now they expect you to simply replace a $400 tire every time you get a small leak. Nice idea, but a little tire noise is much more practical. I guess they are using noise cancelling tires on Tesla, and several other new cars. These were Pirelli 255/40-21 tires.
https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/car-light-truck/pncs-technology

If you don't like them, then buy a set of tires that don't have them.

Tesla's, all the ones I have seen have Michelin (I forget which ones) or Continental ProContact TX tires from the factory.

An electric car that doesn't emit tire noise is dangerous for pedestrians, as they can't hear the car coming.

If you can't afford replacement tires, then you bought the wrong car or may have to put Lionhart tires on the car.

I've seen Teslas use a specific version of the Primacy MXM4 or the Pilot Sport 4S.

GM was starting to use foam-liner tires on the Volt/Bolt. It's cheaper than the hollow-rim approach to reduce cabin noise like that Toyota and Honda are using on the Lexus LS and Acura TLX.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
Being able to afford a set of tires, and not wanting to spring for a new tire for a simple flat are two different things...

I hear ya ... It's like the run-flat tires on a relatives BMW 328. She liked to tell everyone how she never had to worry about a flat ... she could just drive ... !

Well, not quite. When she had her first nail in a tire, she ignored the TPMS light for a week. When she finally made it to the dealer, she was told the tire was damaged from being driven on without air, and she would need a new, very expensive tire. But it's a run flat, she said ?!?! Then the dealer informed her that because her car was all wheel drive, and the 3 other tires were more than 1/2 worn, she would need to buy 4 new tires ...

That nail in a tire cost her more than $ 1000.00 ...

Had the flat tire been changed and repaired, it would have been $ 20.00 ...

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
LOL well just wait for them to start fining you for loud tires!

Exactly. The car market is out of control, as is the housing market. Both are insanely expensive, neither have small/simple/affordable options on a used unit, and the government is mandating absolutely ignorant things to drive up the cost of everything.

We had a 2012 used Nissan Leaf . Very quiet , aside from tire noise and the HVAC fan . Kind of miss that car . :-(

Replaced the tires at around 33,000 miles with the low rolling resistance tires that came on it .

Are there any published sound tests showing the reduction in decibels that a foam-filled tire provides?

I'm waiting for a retired, 1K a year owner from Florida to have balance issues because the foam disintegrates after 5 years and causes vibration/balance issues....

lol.gif

Originally Posted by Kjmack
The auto industry is just getting to over the top with all the little B.S. so called techincal advances .
Back in 1992 I bought a plain jane f150 to use around the property , no air , no power windows , vinyl floor covering , 5 speed , straight six . I paid 10k for it , I wish I never got rid of it because you will never be able to buy a vehicle like that again .

Bingo.

It's all about a brilliant marketing scam to entice people out of money to buy huge, heavy overstuffed vehicles for more than a house cost not that long ago. Heck, back in 1974 you couldn't give away a full-sized vehicle. Now they are even bigger, but much uglier, heavier, and way overpriced compared to the cool big cars they convinced people to buy back in the day.

Yes, the foam works. My neighbor just put a set of Pirelli's with the foam and he did notice that they seemed quieter. Better than filling the tire with spray expanding foam.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
What about moisture from filling station compressors that have a tendency to have a lot of moisture in the lines.

Are many owners of new luxury cars shod in Pirellis the type to use gas station air pumps?

I can't recall the last time I saw a coin op air pump. It has been a few years, at least.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Are many owners of new luxury cars shod in Pirellis the type to use gas station air pumps?

I can't recall the last time I saw a coin op air pump. It has been a few years, at least.

Strange ... because here in Western Canada EVERY gas station has a coin operated air compressor . However, it's about 50/50 if they actually work .

Originally Posted by geeman789

Strange ... because here in Western Canada EVERY gas station has a coin operated air compressor . However, it's about 50/50 if they actually work ...

I agree. I remember them being more common. The only one I KNOW exists is the one at BJ's, and it is free.

I miss the little air canisters at German gas stations. They hung on a pipe to fill the tank inside. You pick it up, top your tires off, and hang it back to fill for the next person.

It wouldn't last a day in the US.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
What about moisture from filling station compressors that have a tendency to have a lot of moisture in the lines.

Almost every gas station here has an air pump available and are no longer coin op and yes I have seen luxury cars use them which brings up my concern about the foam soaking up moisture, problem or not?

The never can Fix a Flat tire sealant would be a really bad idea on a foam lined tire. And I wouldn't want moisture in a tire in the winter which would freeze in place.
Tires have doubled in width from years ago, and that surely increases noise.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by geeman789
Strange ... because here in Western Canada EVERY gas station has a coin operated air compressor . However, it's about 50/50 if they actually work ...

There's a company in Canada that operates them. They do all the install and maintenance, and there's some sort of revenue split between the station, the vending machine company, and charity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back