Interested in those self adjusting wire strippers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a thread on these wire strippers but it was last responded to in 2014 so i decided to make a new post. I am interested in the self wire strippers and how they compare to manual wire strippers. What do you use manual or automatic strippers? What style do you recommend? What brand do you use and how has it held up. Its easy enough to strip the insulation on larger wires 10 gauge or less but i am looking for something that can strip wire from say 14 gauge up to 26 gauge. basically cat5e cable will be the smallest wire i will be stripping with most of the wire gauges falling into the automotive size spectrum.

I picked this one up for about $10 from some Chinese website. So far I've mainly used it for stripping speaker wire. Works OK.

[Linked Image]

I won't use it often so I bought the $8 Harbor Freight one. It works surprisingly well. Just don't hesitate as you squeeze the handle when using it or else it'll just chew up the insulation instead. It made rewiring a few lights really fast & easy especially when I'm on a ladder. The grabber will leave some indentations in the wire so for more precise stripping, it's hard to beat the manual stripper but that'll also take much longer to use. I've used some cat5 wires for some basic soldering stuff and the stripper pulls but fail to completely strip the insulation maybe 1/5 times. Can be manually adjusted using the knob but I never bothered.

The pair I own don't work well on stranded wire in "cheaper" setups. You'll lose a few of the strands each time. On solid core it'll work great.

I like my Kleins.

Sometimes cheesy wire with PVC insulation has the insulation stretch and bounce back. Typically Cat 5. I can cut a little extra then trim the copper if this is a real problem.

I got a pair at home depot for around $10. The tool worked great so I was pleasantly surprised. However, after a few months, the rubber grips started coming off revealing why they were inexpensive.

Originally Posted by Silk
I've had Vessel wire strippers for over 40 years, they still work perfectly.

]
[Linked Image]

This is my favorite style as well. Mine are Ideal and Greenlee, but the same thing. Of course you need a good pair of compact manual strippers for tight areas, but this is what I reach for first.

I love these 45 yr old self adjusting wire strippers from Speedex Manufacturing. I've been so happy with them I'd like to expect positive performance from any manufacturer of similar design.

IMG_20190705_133217.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
I love these 45 yr old self adjusting wire strippers from Speedex Manufacturing. I've been so happy with them I'd like to expect positive performance from any manufacturer of similar design.

You beat me to it. I have those same exact strippers. Actually 2, with different range of wire gauge. Used many times without fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back