how do you open the door on car without a key slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i noticed a lot of the new vehicles don't have a slot for a key to open the door? So in case of a dead battery how do they open the door to get to the hood?

There is usually one hidden somewhere? I'm sure if you gave a specific example we could find the owner's manual and look it up. My Jeep has a traditional lock on the driver's door only and a key that comes out from the FOB, as does our 2019 RAM.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
There is usually one hidden somewhere? I'm sure if you gave a specific example we could find the owner's manual and look it up. My Jeep has a traditional lock on the driver's door only and a key that comes out from the FOB, as does our 2019 RAM.

i noticed in vids the 2019 blazer and buick regal did not seem to have a slot for a key . maybe its hidden like the other poster says

Originally Posted by WhyMe
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

i noticed in vids the 2019 blazer and buick regal did not seem to have a slot for a key . maybe its hidden like the other poster says

Manual states:
Originally Posted by GM

- Press the button on the side of the RKE transmitter to remove the key. Never pull the key out without pressing the button. The key can be used for all locks. See: Keys 026.
- Use the key. The key lock cylinder is covered with a cap.See: Door Locks 035.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by meep
try to find the fuel cap on a 1957 chevy ...
Or Ford, which hid it in a different place.

Those novel locations were cute, but probably not so safe.

i noticed a lot of the new vehicles don't have a slot for a key to open the door? So in case of a dead battery how do they open the door to get to the hood?

Nobody mentioned the obvious answer: break a window!
43.gif

This is a good question. Dunno. My newest car doesn't even have a key, so there would be no need for a key slot.

Originally Posted by Carbuff

Nobody mentioned the obvious answer: break a window!
43.gif

We had a former sales manager do this on their Mercedes. They tried to claim someone in service did it until I looked through the security camera footage and saw they throwing a brick throw a side window.

My 2005 Corvette has the key slot back by the license plate and it is pointing down and you cannot see it unless you bend down and look up. You open the rear hatch and climb through the back of the car and then you can open the door or hood if the battery is dead.

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
My 2005 Corvette has the key slot back by the license plate and it is pointing down and you cannot see it unless you bend down and look up. You open the rear hatch and climb through the back of the car and then you can open the door or hood if the battery is dead.

My 2018 has that as well and I hope I never have to test it out! I have heard a couple of guys that couldn't get in even with that key in the back, and I think they had to remove the tail lights in order to gain access.

BTW, you don't need to climb into the car once you get the hatch open though, there is a pull cable hidden under the side panels that will pop the driver's door open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back