E-Go versus GreenWorks mowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
NOTE: A casual observation rather than a statistically controlled evaluation;

My son and his neighbor both have brand new cordless self-propelled mowers. My son's is a GreenWorks 40 volt and his neighbor's is an E-Go 56 volt model. Both owners mowed the yards of their identical Pittsburgh area homes for the first time on Saturday.

The neighbor mowed first. I was surprised at the noise level from the E-Go mower, the noise level was approximately the same as a shop vac and louder than what I would have expected to hear. I was also surprised at the 'clumpiness' and ragged appearance of the neighbor's normally pristine yard after mowing. I thought to myself "maybe these cordless self-propelled mowers aren't ready for prime-time yet" after seeing the results.

My son mowed his yard an hour or two later. The GreenWorks was significantly quieter and the lawn was far more uniform after mowing. Grass lengths between the two yards was not measured prior to mowing. The neighbor's lawn may have been longer and more dense, and with the time difference may have been more damp. My son said that he had fertilized his yard (the GreenWorks yard) with Scotts Pre-Emergent 2 weeks ago so his grass had opportunity for an early growth spurt. The neighbor probably did likewise but I have no verification.

Like I said - just a single observation on two adjoining yards on the same day with two new machines.

What have others seen regarding capability of the various cordless mower brands?

As you've stated, his neighbors yard might have had longer grass, been more dense and more damp. So I wouldn't compare the mowers without proper knowledge.
I think Consumers Reports gives the best rating on a cordless mower to EGO.

Allyn (lawn care nut) had a similar problem with his Ego mower. It was giving him an uneven cut and he was able to somehow make it better but I honestly can't remember what he did. Im wanting to say he adjusted the handlebar somehow to make the deck stay level.

Were they bagging, mulching, or side discharging? It matters. Also, which blade was used - normal or high lift?

Both mulched. Both brand new mowers "out of the box" with the factory standard blades. Son cut his grass at 5pm and neighbor did his in early afternoon so dampness was probably no different. Not sure about length of cut for each. It appeared the neighbor was taking off an inch, and it was my son's first cutting so his may have been the same or less. Our son did have a lot more dandelions in his yard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back